Author Topic: Tip Ups for Cats?  (Read 8351 times)

Offline KeystoneICE

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Tip Ups for Cats?
« on: Feb 21, 2006, 02:34 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone has ever used tip-ups for cats?  Where would you put them? And what kind of bait do you use?  Thanks.
Time to fish.

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
Re: Tip Ups for Cats?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2006, 04:07 PM »
I'd love to know too.  Any cat men out there?
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Offline toboso

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2006, 08:06 PM »
I have indeed caught many channel cats with my tip-ups.  Generally this occurs during late ice and away from any current, whether it's wind generated or water flow.  I am typically catching them on fathead minnows intended for saugeye (central Ohio).  I have wanted to take some gizzard shad and focus on catfish, but I haven't made myself do it yet.  With no ice this year, I don't think I'll be able to write that chapter.

The flat does best for channels also produces a lot of saugeye, but not co-mingled it seems.  This particular flat is near the deepest water in the lake, so there's not much difference from open water locations.  I also tend to find a good supply of winter kill shad in the ice where I catch cats.  This flat is the perrenial ice-out magnet due to the sour bait that is readily available.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2006, 12:00 AM »
The bulk of cats I have caught through the ice are on tip ups when pike fishing. I would use a dead anchovy, cats love them as do pike.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2008, 06:10 AM »
I still have leftover saltwater baits from this years surfcasting. Been holding on to it just to set the tipups for cats and pike. :laugh:
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2008, 06:15 AM »
ohh cat fish    hmmmm you guys had me thinking......   But then  cats are only around for excercize for the dog   >:D
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2008, 06:18 AM »
The only thing out of fresh water I'll eat is trout, salmon......and cats! How people eat bass is beyond me.  :sick: :sick: :sick:

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2008, 12:44 PM »
We catch them while pike fishing. Always on big baits within a couple feet of the bottom. They are mostly in 15-so feet of water over a soft bottom where we are...

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2008, 08:03 AM »
I target cats like that and ignore the pike. Anytime you need some cats cleaned out of your way so you can just play with the pike, let me know..... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2008, 07:50 PM »
i get them on tip ups with minnows about 1 ft. off the bottom. my exp. goes against everything i've read about cats on hard water. i've read cats head for the deepest holes and stack up like cordwood. while this may be true, i fish 1 lake where i can target cats and really be confident of success. it's an "L" shaped lake, with 1 end 8 ft. deep max. the other end is 25 ft. i've fished both ends on the same day, same weather, and got some nice fish. the lake is managed as a trophy bass lake, there's no muskies, pike, or 'eyes, so bass and cats are the top of the food chain. another lake, about 10 miles away, very similar in size and structure, i've never caught a cat, or heard of anyone else doing so, but for what it's worth there are eyes there. if you can find such a lake, you've got a real gem on your hands. set as many traps as the law allows! hope this helps.

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya' gotta kill it !, To grill it !
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2009, 11:20 PM »
Me, and a friend of mine have caught them at night, while targeting walleye. Fatheads a foot, or less off the bottom was the presentation. I would imagine, chicken livers, gizzards, and other typical cat baits would work as well, as long as their not frozen, and will go on your hook.

WHACK'EM!!! AN STACK'EM!!!

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2009, 11:25 PM »
Me, and a friend of mine have caught them at night, while targeting walleye. Fatheads a foot, or less off the bottom was the presentation. I would imagine, chicken livers, gizzards, and other typical cat baits would work as well, as long as their not frozen, and will go on your hook.
I wonder if stinkbait would work?
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2009, 11:27 PM »
I use beef liver on my tip-ups when targeting cats.

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2009, 12:32 AM »
I wonder if stinkbait would work?
Madpuppy, see my reply to 'Baits people use for cats'...good fishin...Salmonrebel.

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2009, 07:55 AM »
Madpuppy, see my reply to 'Baits people use for cats'...good fishin...Salmonrebel.
I'm just wondering if stinkbait will still give off scent being that cold. I,m going to mold it on my sponge hook in the cabin and then go out on the ice. I'll let you know how it goes.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2009, 11:11 AM »
I'm just wondering if stinkbait will still give off scent being that cold. I,m going to mold it on my sponge hook in the cabin and then go out on the ice. I'll let you know how it goes.
I don't see why it wouldn't work, as long as you can get it on your hook, and your in an area with a good population of cats. I'd like to add, the bait I had mentioned, I don't recall catching bullheads with it, not saying, you wont, but I used to hammer the channels, blues, and flat-heads with the stuff. Well, Good Luck. I'll be lookin' to see how you made out,...The SalmonRebel.

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2011, 01:28 PM »
yep they work fine for cats smelt off the bottom.

Offline FROZENGOOSE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 03, 2011, 10:29 AM »
i got two one day the second time i tried using tip ups i just put two night crawlers covering my trebles and let it sit on the ground with a foot of slack
just for the fun of it, let them go haddeck taste better

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
« Reply #18 on: Mar 04, 2011, 11:45 PM »
The last two cats I've caught while packing up- either they just hit the bait as I wound it in or managed to not trip the flag. I've caught them on small to medium shiners but they love nightcrawlers on a circle hook just off the bottom.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.