Author Topic: New ice fisherman and first post!  (Read 5104 times)

Offline djy8362

• IceShanty Rookie
New ice fisherman and first post!
« on: Jul 15, 2019, 05:55 PM »
Hi guys. So I went ice fishing one time 8 years ago. Chopped through ice with a hatchet and sat on a bucket. Had no plans just spur of the moment decided to go 30ft from shore windchill of -20. Slayed a bunch of bluegill. Had a blast for hours! Weirdly haven't went since but this year I'm going all in as I will have a ton of time to go and a buddy to go with. I'll be going litterally every day the ice is safe enough to be on.
I've been looking at getting a pop up or flip shanty. I've looked at clam/otter/eskimo's. I'm mainly gonna be on my own however might have my gf's 9yr old son and a buddy from time to time go with me. So a 3 person is what I'm looking for. We're actually planning on tournaments around North western pa/northeast Ohio. I think it'd be awesome to meet a bunch of people and just have fun. Anyways I see some of the otters are heavily insulated. I'm capping my shanty $ to 1k however i wouldn't be upset if there's good deals well under that haha I'm looking for recommendations on good shantys for my situation. I'm physically active 220lbs. Reason I say that is I have epilepsy and no drivers license(but I rarely have seizures anymore). I'll regularly be dragging a half mile I live on a 250acre lake. So post up some shantys and if there's some good deals/sites links are appreciated. So far clam jason Mitchell's thermal x looks like my favorite but at the top of the budget. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New ice fisherman and first post!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2019, 06:52 PM »
First off welcome to Iceshanty! Lots of great stuff here and definitely check out the best ice deals thread if you're looking for a shack

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2019, 07:02 PM »
Welcome to Ice Shanty.  Please take some time to read extensively here before you commit to spending a boatload of money on anything.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2019, 09:51 PM »
Hi guys. So I went ice fishing one time 8 years ago. Chopped through ice with a hatchet and sat on a bucket. Had no plans just spur of the moment decided to go 30ft from shore windchill of -20. Slayed a bunch of bluegill. Had a blast for hours! Weirdly haven't went since but this year I'm going all in as I will have a ton of time to go and a buddy to go with. I'll be going litterally every day the ice is safe enough to be on.
I've been looking at getting a pop up or flip shanty. I've looked at clam/otter/eskimo's. I'm mainly gonna be on my own however might have my gf's 9yr old son and a buddy from time to time go with me. So a 3 person is what I'm looking for. We're actually planning on tournaments around North western pa/northeast Ohio. I think it'd be awesome to meet a bunch of people and just have fun. Anyways I see some of the otters are heavily insulated. I'm capping my shanty $ to 1k however i wouldn't be upset if there's good deals well under that haha I'm looking for recommendations on good shantys for my situation. I'm physically active 220lbs. Reason I say that is I have epilepsy and no drivers license(but I rarely have seizures anymore). I'll regularly be dragging a half mile I live on a 250acre lake. So post up some shantys and if there's some good deals/sites links are appreciated. So far clam jason Mitchell's thermal x looks like my favorite but at the top of the budget. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Welcome aboard! I would suggest using the search feature and read up on the Smitty Sled. Can be inexpensive to build and it allows you to pull lots of gear with relative ease.

I love my Eskimo Quikfish 3i. Plenty insulated and enough rough to keep 3 warm. Jigging inside I prefer 2 only. But I fish tip ups more than jigs.

Best of luck!

Offline djy8362

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2019, 11:16 PM »
Thanks. I'll definitely look into it!

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2019, 12:48 PM »
If you are a set-up camp type of fisherman then weight may not be a problem.  Thermals are heavier then non-thermals.  The new cushion seat models are also heavier then the older bench seats or hard plastic chair models.  My point is that you should take the time to check the weight before you buy a shanty.  But if your a gun and shoot type of fishermen like me, I like to move quit a bit until I find the fish not let the fish find me.  In that case weight is a very important feature if you hand drag your shanty.  No matter what shanty you buy you should also buy or make a Smitty sled for when the snow is deep.  Good luck.

Online OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2019, 06:32 PM »
djy8362 you need to include your location so any members in your area can give you local info and possibly meet up with you!! Welcome aboard!!!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline djy8362

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jul 18, 2019, 12:24 AM »
I live in the north west corner of Pennsylvania. Edinboro PA to be exact. Thanks!

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jul 18, 2019, 02:09 AM »
Welcome to the board! I'm pretty local to ya, live in Pittsburgh but have a camp by Meadville and fish all over up north. Quite a few active members on this board from NW PA. Lots of good tents out there but maybe a good float suit would be a better investment to start out, PA has weird weather with lots of warm spells that make thin ice. I personally have a Striker Predator ice suit and Muck artic sport boots. Should the ice break under me the suit will keep me afloat and make it easier to exit the water. I pull a flipover and do use it but alot of the time the suit and boots are more than enough to keep me warm without a tent in all but the worst winds or weather.
I would access your fishing style before going with a pop up or flipover. I started with a pop up cuz it was cheaper but didn't like the long set up and take down, it definitely had alot more room and was lighter, but I move alot so a small flipover works better for me. The guy I sold the pop-up to is a tip up guy and he loves setting up the tent and just adjusting his spread to keep the flags flying. A sled can be had cheap if you go pop up, I have a spare I'll be selling once I dig it out of storage.
 Look for skis now to make a smitty sled it makes moving on the ice so much easier. Deals on boots are better in the summer. I use ice cleats on my boots after a Home Alone style fall a few yrs ago. Also ice picks! They are spikes you can use to pull yourself out with should the ice break. I consider them a must with our thinner ice.
 Field and stream in Erie has a nice setup of ice gear in the winter, Fish USA carries gear also but not much on the showroom floor. Any questions ask.

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jul 18, 2019, 06:22 AM »
Welcome aboard, lot of good info and friendly fisherman here.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline havejigwilltravel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jul 18, 2019, 06:37 AM »
welcome aboard.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jul 18, 2019, 06:46 AM »
A link to the local NW PA Hardwater Tournament Series:  https://wpahardwater.com/

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jul 18, 2019, 10:44 AM »
As a now experienced ice fisherman who went and bought a shanty first thing. My advice is go light I had grand visions and bought a heavy 2 man. If I could have a do over I would buy a single and stay light, heck you could even buy 2 singles for when someone wants to go with you and set them up side by side. If I am not using a machine I just bring a bucket and jet sled. I have a smittysled and yes it makes a big difference but I would still go light if I could do it all over again.
One other thing of advice if you don't have a flasher, buy a flasher before the shanty.

Offline djy8362

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jul 18, 2019, 10:56 AM »
A link to the local NW PA Hardwater Tournament Series:  https://wpahardwater.com/

DN

I saw that! My buddy sent me that when I first started talking abiut ice fishing. That's when I wrote about doing a tournament. I'm excited for that. Looks like alot of people. Will definitely be a fun experience plus in a people person so it'll be cool to meet other people in the ice fishing community.

Offline djy8362

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jul 18, 2019, 11:09 AM »
I saw that! My buddy sent me that when I first started talking abiut ice fishing. That's when I wrote about doing a tournament. I'm excited for that. Looks like alot of people. Will definitely be a fun experience plus in a people person so it'll be cool to meet other people in the ice fishing community.

Yeah a smitty sled for sure and maybe a good single might be a good route to go. I don't have a driver's license cause I have epilepsy. But I can't live the rest of my life with a helmet on and I love to fish. I have to walk to my location which I'm lucky cause I live buy a 275acre lake in town with a 20ft damn. So Ive gotta put wheels on it somehow idk if metal rails on an old riding sled would hold up however I'm finding them for less that 50 a piece so maybe if I just get one it'll last a season or 2. Or without a riding sled put these raiding shop wheels under the rear of the shanty sled. But then I'd have to drag the sled through snow once I get to the ice. Not positive the route I'll go.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Jul 18, 2019, 05:46 PM »
Welcome to the site, glad to have you here with us.  If you're looking for a pop-up shelter I recommend the Eskimo FatFish 949i.  It's a four man shelter but the extra room is very nice to have and the insulation is top notch.  I have one of them for the past four years and like it a lot when I have some friends going with me.  Eskimo makes some nice shelters, their prices are really nice, and I would highly recommend you check them out.  As the other guys have said building a smitty sled will help you be more mobile and make dragging your gear around a lot easier. 

Offline Tom1983

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jul 20, 2019, 07:10 PM »
Welcome to Ice Shanty.  Please take some time to read extensively here before you commit to spending a boatload of money on anything.

DN

This is excellent advice!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #17 on: Jul 23, 2019, 08:59 AM »
Welcome to djy8362 AND Tom 1983! There is a ton of great info here! That along with all the different viewpoints and experiences for a whole passel of folks from all across the ice fishing geography. The well run forum is a boatload of fun and camaraderie. If you enjoy your time here as much as I have you'll be regular visitors.

PREDICTION: These two just joined an ice fishing site in July! My bet is they'll both be hardcore players  ;)2

If both of you would visit your profiles and add your locations everyone can see your general location. It's helps folks understand your questions and comments in a geographical context. Besides it's fun to see where everyone is from  ;D

Click on "Profile", then "Modify Profile" to enter your location that will appear near your screen name on every post you make. It can be general (like mine - SE Wisconsin - Lake Country) or more specific if you're comfortable with that. You'll likely find ice compadres just down the road from you that hang out here.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline djy8362

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jul 23, 2019, 12:22 PM »
Thanks for the tip. Just updated my location!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #19 on: Jul 23, 2019, 01:55 PM »
Thanks for the tip. Just updated my location!

:thumbsup: :clap:
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jul 30, 2019, 08:22 PM »
     Welcome.  You've found the right place for all your ice info you need to know.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.