Author Topic: Wisconsin walleyes  (Read 2536 times)

Offline just a jiggin

• IceShanty Rookie
Wisconsin walleyes
« on: Jan 09, 2012, 08:40 AM »
Anybody having luck this year fishing the walleyes in Wisconsin.. I mainly fish north western wisconsin, and have been having little to no luck..
Any techniques anyone would care to share? I mainly set up tip ups with a walleye sucker 1-3 feet off the bottom and then jig a fat head in the shack.

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
Re: Wisconsin walleyes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2012, 04:31 PM »
I am assuming that you are fishing a good walleye lake at prime times in a good location. I would try using jigging raps, blades baits, such as cicadas, and zip lures, and spoons such as buckshot rattle spoon, and slenderspoons. The flash and vibration put off by these lures can attract fish in from a distance, and have a strike triggering quality to seal the deal.

Offline vaderscommandship

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nathan
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2012, 07:26 PM »
When you use zips or cicaddas, do you load em up with spikes too? Or just naked lure?
I have only caught 4 eyes this year all on golden shiners or big fatheads.
Thanks,
Nathan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2012, 09:44 PM »
I usually use a minnow head. I place it on the front treble. Using a whole minnow affects the action too much. I have never tried tipping with spikes,  but that may work well also.

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nathan
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2012, 03:37 PM »
Thanks for the info.gonna try em out this weekend!
Thanks!
Nathan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2012, 04:30 PM »
Thanks for the info.gonna try em out this weekend!
Thanks!
Nathan

Just a word of advice on the cicadas. If you have not tried them before, you need to try and keep the line taut on the fall, because the rear treble tends to want to foul on the line. You will feel the lack of vibration when you lift the cicada.  I usually give an aggressive lift of about 12 - 18 inches to get the cicada to flash and vibrate.  Then let it sit for a few seconds and repeat the lift. Alot of times you feel a hard hit, other times just extra weight as you go to lift again.
The cicadas are my top choice, followed by the zip, then the jigging rap, then spoons.

Good Luck Nathan!  Please let me know if the cicadas worked for you.

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nathan
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2012, 01:16 PM »
Hopefully headed up to tomahawk this weekend to try out a buncha  new stuff and ideas. Gonna try to be on the water the entire day . Well see how cold it is and how the wife is(if shes catchin anything or not)!
Ive used cicadas and zips when i lived out west for trout in small stream ponds,just havnt used em for hardwater.
Nathan

Offline WalleyeCrawl10

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I Love My BeaverDams!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2012, 03:00 PM »
I would try jiggin with a buckshot or swedish pimple in bout 10 to 12 feet of water with one rod. Then with your other 2 lines, use tipups with medium shiners. While you're jiggin and keeping busy the other 2 lines will do the trick by themselves. At least you'll know what they're biting on and it'll give you opportunity to try different things all at once. I'm fishing in Tomahawk which is sort of central northern wisco and I can catch eyes every night I go. Not all keepers but I can always catch em. Also try fishing on cloudy days and when I go it's usually bout 4 in the afternoon cuz thats when they start biting.  ;D
The Green Hornet Strikes Again! Caught my Limit....I see you only snagged one.

Two fish are on there, bonehead. And you know damn well that I throw back what I'm not gonna eat.

Oh yeah, like that 40 pound Musky your always yapping about, it's a shame nobody ever see's you with these monsters!

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nathan
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2012, 05:18 PM »
Hopefully Alice on sun. Inlaws r in town so still not sure. If not might hit pike or mission lake south of hatley!
Nathan

Offline WalleyeCrawl10

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I Love My BeaverDams!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2012, 06:20 PM »
Hopefully Alice on sun. Inlaws r in town so still not sure. If not might hit pike or mission lake south of hatley!
Nathan

Is pike lake still pretty decent? A bunch of my buddies go there every once in awhile and claim its always a great day of chasing tipups.
The Green Hornet Strikes Again! Caught my Limit....I see you only snagged one.

Two fish are on there, bonehead. And you know damn well that I throw back what I'm not gonna eat.

Oh yeah, like that 40 pound Musky your always yapping about, it's a shame nobody ever see's you with these monsters!

Offline vdub

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2012, 09:24 AM »
I usually go out fishin for eyes by myself. I usually put out my 6 tipups with walleye suckers around  the outside of my shack and jig with 2 or 3 lines inside the shack. I usually have more flags than I can handle but it usually works out good for me at the end of the day. I never walleye fish with other people, its too much of a distraction and i dont want to give up any of my flags to someone else
Signs your about to fall in...<br /><br /><br />i\'d say when your nipple deep and your tallwhacker is in your stomach your probablly goin in<br />

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nathan
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2012, 04:09 PM »

Is pike lake still pretty decent? A bunch of my buddies go there every once in awhile and claim its always a great day of chasing tipups.

I really d ont know. Only fished it once this summer. Gonna give it sometime this year cuz its like 9 minutes from the house. I just like to fish in tomahawk better. My favorite place in the world is Tomahawk!
Nathan

Offline gutshot_again

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2012, 08:39 AM »
I usually go out fishin for eyes by myself. I usually put out my 6 tipups with walleye suckers around  the outside of my shack and jig with 2 or 3 lines inside the shack. I usually have more flags than I can handle but it usually works out good for me at the end of the day. I never walleye fish with other people, its too much of a distraction and i dont want to give up any of my flags to someone else

Did I miss something?  Thought the limit was three lines per person????
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Offline cousin eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2012, 09:06 AM »
Did I miss something?  Thought the limit was three lines per person????

I'm guessing vdub is not from WI...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.