Author Topic: Pike scent reduces walleye bite?  (Read 4185 times)

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
Pike scent reduces walleye bite?
« on: Jan 05, 2006, 01:33 PM »
I started this topic in MFF and though I would carry it on in IceShanty.

A long time ago a walleye angler told me that if they ever caught a pike while walleye fishing, they would add some scent or anything to rid there lure of the pikes scent. They tole me that walleye catches are reduced with a pikes scent on your lure.
That was the first time I have ever heard that and did not know what to make of it. I know that the pike are a walleyes major predator in many bodies of water, but I also know that a large walleye do eat small pike.
Have any of you ever found this to be true?
:blink:

WW

dwayne

Re: Pike scent reduces walleye bite?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2006, 11:47 AM »
I have heard that pickerel scent on a lure will keep fish away but never heard the same about pike. 

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2006, 11:49 AM »
Never found that to be true.  Who knows though.  Walleyes can be a tricky little critter

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2012, 02:49 PM »
Bump!! :)
Has anyone else found that pike smell does reduce walleye bite to be the case? ???

WW

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2012, 04:11 PM »
I don't think it does but like what everyone else who know what a waldo thinks. (Do they really think hmmm?) I read a book by Mike McClelland(sp?) years ago who was asked if scent was important. He did a test with cranks were he ran a bait dipped in gas and the other without. His results said it didn't matter. On the other hand if you don't have confidence in your bait or lure then there you go. If you think it matter then change so you have confidence bait or lure.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 29, 2012, 12:22 AM »
Last winter I found this out by watching my Marcum camera.  I caught a pike on my buckshot rattle jig.  Down the hole it went and I watched walleye after walleye reject the lure.  They would come right over, get close and then leave in a hurry.  When they came in, their dorsal fin was up and they seemed aggressive.  Once they got close to the jig, the dorsal fin dropped and the left.  I changed to a clean buckshot out of the box and started catching walleyes after that.  I witnessed this a couple days in a row on the ice. 

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #6 on: Feb 29, 2012, 05:08 PM »
I jigged up pike then walleyes on the same buckshot in the same hole minutes apart earlier this year   Got 2 mid 20 inch pike then hit 3 eyes between 16 and 23 inches.    The body of water was murky and that might have something to do with it or the eyes were just hungery.   How much scent was left on the buckshot I don't know either
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline eye_slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Tight Lines and Cold beer
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2012, 08:50 AM »
when walleye fishing with  :tipup:  :tipup:  :tipup: we weed through the pike from 4-8 and hit flag after flag after flag with northerns after 8 the walleye start hitting and they dont seem bothered with by any northerns. although the walleye are usually bigger than the pike in this lake which might have something to do with it

Offline walleyeslayer1978

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Walleye Gods are angry, that's why.
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2012, 07:08 PM »
I believe this to be true. Maybe not so much that the pike scent actually stays on the lure, because I have caught walleye, pike, and perch on the same lure with the same perch eye on it for bait. But that being said, I have caught pike and tried using their eyes for bait, and no fish, not even pike, will hit it.  I believe that because pike are such voracious predators, fish don't associate their scent with prey.
Still counting.....

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2015, 03:47 PM »
Bump!

I know this is an old topic, but still wonder about it if it's true or not. :-\

WW

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2015, 10:49 AM »
It does seem once I catch the first chain while jiggin I don't catch an eye after that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.