Author Topic: Walleye ice rods  (Read 5584 times)

Offline Phillip350

• IceShanty Rookie
Walleye ice rods
« on: Feb 06, 2014, 12:21 PM »
I haven't fished for walleye thru the ice yet. I got into a discussion with my buddy and he thinks that a standard 26"-28" combo ice rod isn't the way to go. He suggested getting a standard fishing rod in the 4' range like he uses. Aside from that being too long to use in a shanty do you agree or should I just get the shorter medium action ice rod like I was going to get in first place. The presentation would be jigging swedish pimples, blade baits etc. Thanks.

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Walleye ice rods
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2014, 04:34 PM »
There is more than one reason for an ice rod to be short, it's not just to fish within a shanty. I think a major consideration is that it provides the angler the ability to stand (or kneel) over the hole in order to help control and guide any (good-sized) fish into and up the hole as well as land it by him/herself ... much more difficult to do with a longer fishing rod.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2014, 07:30 PM »
There is more than one reason for an ice rod to be short, it's not just to fish within a shanty. I think a major consideration is that it provides the angler the ability to stand (or kneel) over the hole in order to help control and guide any (good-sized) fish into and up the hole as well as land it by him/herself ... much more difficult to do with a longer fishing rod.

personally (and especially for walleyes) I like longer rods but my limit is 36" after that it just gets to cumbersome for me.  The longer rods give you a little more leverage on a fish and I feel I get better hooksets with a 30+" rod as opposed to a shorter 24-28" rod.

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:05 PM »
I like a 26 or 28" rod. I love my fish 13 wicked rod.

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:35 PM »
Love short rods but long rods have a place as well.  There great sitting outside.  I can say that they buy you time.  Its like you have more time to get the fish on the reel. If you fish one at all I think that will make more sense.

But if I had to buy one I'm buying short for sure.  28" seems to fit me good.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2014, 07:54 AM »
Hi guys. Have a chance this coming winter to head out to lake Erie to do some walleye fishing. Going with some good sticks that used to live there. The thing is I don't own a good walleye rod. Reels I have plenty of. What would you folks recommend for a good walleye rod. Needs plenty of back bone, But will be jigging big spoons with several minnows. I also like a longer rod. The fish we will be targeting range from small to 13 plus pounds. The guys I will be going with. Each have different rods and say I can borrow some for the trip. I kind of want my own. So any suggestions would be welcome.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Sep 14, 2014, 08:35 AM »

X2 on the 28" M ,I have 2 of those and a 31"MH they seem to do the job

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2014, 09:49 AM »
If you can find some 30-36" medium to medium heavy rods you will be equipped nicely for those larger fish.  I wouldn't not discount looking at some lighter medium lights and lights either for smaller lighter spoons.

When I look at getting a new rod I look at what application I am going to be using it for.  Is it going to be a rod to run as a deadstick, a flutter type spoon, a heavier rattle type spoon, a darter/rippin rap/blade type bait.  I will choose a different style of rod for each of those applications because each of those baits require different characteristics in a rod.

If this is your first trip out there then I would talk with the guys with experience, find out what techniques they ten to use and catch fish on and then pick a rod accordingly.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 18, 2014, 06:18 AM »
I am liking the idea of a longer rod as when I crappie fish I use a rod that is any where from 48" to 52" long. Med med/ heavy sounds about right. Any brand name rods you guys would suggest? Remember I am only going there once this year for several days. So the most expensive rods are out of my budget. I am more of the middle of the road type of guys especially for a rod I will only use once in a blue moon. Again thanks UFC
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 03, 2014, 08:28 PM »

x2

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 06, 2014, 02:14 PM »
Hi guys. Have a chance this coming winter to head out to lake Erie to do some walleye fishing. Going with some good sticks that used to live there. The thing is I don't own a good walleye rod. Reels I have plenty of. What would you folks recommend for a good walleye rod. Needs plenty of back bone, But will be jigging big spoons with several minnows. I also like a longer rod. The fish we will be targeting range from small to 13 plus pounds. The guys I will be going with. Each have different rods and say I can borrow some for the trip. I kind of want my own. So any suggestions would be welcome.

28-32" MH is what you want. I fish the same fish, and also the ones up at Bay of Quinte. You'll be using larger jiggin raps and spoons to 3/4 of an ounce. You'll need all of a MH when using heavy lures. If your only going to 1/2oz lures you should be able to get away with a M action rod in the same length.

Thorne Bros makes a sweet rod for Walleyes. I have both their M and MH rods.
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Humminbird ICE55 & ICE HELIX 7
Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods - Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart, Med Walleye Sweetheart, MH Walleye Sweetheart, and Deadstick
Daiwa Laguna Reels
Strikemaster 10" Lazer Pro & 6" Lazer
Ice Fishing Innovations Rod Locker

Offline stpaulslouch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 19, 2014, 11:18 PM »
28-32" MH is what you want. I fish the same fish, and also the ones up at Bay of Quinte. You'll be using larger jiggin raps and spoons to 3/4 of an ounce. You'll need all of a MH when using heavy lures. If your only going to 1/2oz lures you should be able to get away with a M action rod in the same length.

Thorne Bros makes a sweet rod for Walleyes. I have both their M and MH rods.

X2.  Give Thorne Bros, DH Custom Rods and Tuned Up Custom Rods a call.  Each has a rod that will work, go with the builder you feel the most comfortable with.  You can't go wrong with any of them (I have some from each).

Offline mr. maloonigins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2014, 11:34 PM »
I just bought a Wicked 25" M.  The consensus seems to be 26-28.  Think I'll be alright with the 25"?

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2014, 06:52 AM »
If you will only be going one time this winter borrow some from the guy's you're going with. You know everyone has extra, then you'll have the right stuff for what you're going after. No sense getting something ahead of time and finding out you don't like it and are stuck with it. If you don't like one that your buddy let you use give it back and ask for another.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.