Author Topic: spoon. swim, or jig?  (Read 3204 times)

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
spoon. swim, or jig?
« on: Nov 10, 2005, 07:59 AM »

**I have reworded this post.**

There are three main types of walleye jigging lures, spoons, swimbaits, and jigs.
What do you find yourself using most often and why (conditions, season, etc)?

I'll start by saying that I have had all my success with swimbaits, and that spoons and jigs just have not worked for me...Yet on the same lake, guys take lots of eyes with spoons, and yet other people swear by jigs.

**-originally it read
It seems to me there are three different kinds of walleye jiggers.  Those that use spoons , those that use swimbaits (jiggin raps, chubbies, etc.), and those that use jigs.-**

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
Re: spoon. swim, or jig?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2005, 08:16 AM »
I don't fit in that group Red, I use all 3 and one more.... tip-ups  :tipup: Try it they might like it. I try hard to never get set in my ways, being flexible is the key to happiness. All my friends listen to Old skool rock... me I am into hip hop... BOOM BOOM BOOM.  :D

-Scott
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2005, 08:25 AM »
Im also in the "all of thee above" category. But I mostly use jigs then swimmers, this season I plan on using more spoons and have already started to pick some up.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2005, 08:36 AM »
I don't fit in that group Red, I use all 3 and one more.... tip-ups  :tipup: Try it they might like it. I try hard to never get set in my ways, being flexible is the key to happiness. All my friends listen to Old skool rock... me I am into hip hop... BOOM BOOM BOOM.  :D

-Scott

Scott, I have found that tip-ups are way too much of a distraction for me when I am jigging.  If I used them would I ice more fish?...surely.  The thing is I concentrate so much on my jigging that the flag could be up for a few minutes before I would realize it.  The only way I could use one effectively would be to put it right near me...but I already have a deadsticking rod for that.

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2005, 09:07 AM »
I got no problem with that Red, to each his own. Since we are allowed only 3 lines in WI and only two in MI the distractions are not that big of a deal and I have got to have an all out run for a flag once in awhile or I get that Restless Leg Sydrome thing after sitting to long.  ;D  Also handlining a fish on light tackle is a heck of a rush for me.  :woot:

But think of tip-ups this way.... you can be in multiple places at once checking other areas for potential action. I often put out long distance spreads to check different structure out while jigging a different area.  :tipup:

My go-to walleye jigging lures would be a swedish pimple/buckshot rattlespoon, zip lure/jiggin rapala, and last but not least a white/orange/chart jig.

-Scott

What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2005, 09:30 PM »
what exactly is a swimbait and how do you present it for those tasty eyes thru the ice?

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2005, 08:52 PM »
Coldbum, the swimbaits you are thinking of are group of lures called swimming lures. They consist of lures like jigging raps, jigging shad, Nils Master jigger and jigging shad, and storms soft jigging shad.
You can lift them sharply with about a food and a half upward lift and they dart out, and then return. Continuous pumping of the rod causes them to swim in circles.
:tipup:

WW

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2005, 01:48 PM »
As Scott pointed out in an earlier post, we sometimes set up the tip ups (5 per person/NY) and wait to see where the flags pop.  We then head over to that hole and commence jigging.

Oh yea, the favorite.............. .............swimbaits .........Nilsmaster and Rapala.........perfect together! ;)
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2005, 07:58 PM »
I have caught 75% of my ice walleyes on jigging rapalas or Nils Master jiggers/shads. The number three and number 5 jigging raps get the most use from me, and I also like the glow in the dark baby jigging shads from Nils Master, as they imitate bluegill and small bass very well, which are important forage for walleyes in my neck of the woods.
You often don't have to tip swimming lures, but to play it safe I always carefully put on a small minnow head about the size of a pea. You just have to make sure you don't affect the action of the lure.
Spoons still work well though. Best spoons are Do jiggers, swedish pimples, buckshot rattle spoons, and kastmasters. Spoons always need to be tipped with a minnow head or nightcrawler piece to work well.
And of course if legal I will always set out a tip up with a small, live minnow. Combining jigging and tip ups is the best way to ice the most possible fish.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Tip-UpTommer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2005, 08:12 PM »
kastmasters and jigging rapalas and sometimes a jighead with a leach or minnow attached, it all depends on what they are in the mood for, when one doesnt work, try something different.

trapperdirk

« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2005, 03:39 AM »
Well were allowed two lines through the ice in Ontario and why wouldn't I use two because I can cover more water and use a nice lively minnow on a tipup or a deadstick . I double my chances at a fish .
   I jig the other either using a williams spoon , a jighead with minnow threaded on , a chubby darter , or a nils or a rap . I have no problem multi tasking using two lines there are days when the flag catches the fish even though I love to jig and it produces well for me but only using one and not the other when its legal to use both . ??? Perish the thought . ;D

TD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.