Author Topic: Pickeral rigs.  (Read 2515 times)

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
Pickeral rigs.
« on: Feb 15, 2005, 08:34 AM »
Heh guys I need help. I went to a Wall-mart 500 miles from here as I was passing thru. This was 3 yrs ago. I always like to check out the fishing section. They were having a clearance sale. I bought a few pickeral rigs made by South-Bend. No instructions came on how to rig. Are they used for live or dead bait or both?  They came with a main line and off the mainline there is 2 wire Ts. Also enclosed is 2 hooks with a 4 inch piece mono on each. Any help is appreciated.

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Pickeral rigs.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2005, 08:58 PM »
I would suggest you don't use the hooks that came with the rig.I find they aren't really very good hooks -make your own with a piece of 10 or 12 # Vanish or similar mono and use #4 or #6 Gamakatsu octopus hooks,keep the length about the same or they will tangle on you.At the bottom of the main line you put a weight -3/4 oz should do for fishing through the ice(in open water sometimes you have to use more depending on wind).Attach the snelled hooks to the "T"s and use frozen minnows for bait.
  We aren't allowed to use live minnows up here so, that's all I've ever used --I'm wondering if live minnows may tangle on you but you'll have to ask someone else about that.-Hope this helps
Tombo

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2005, 11:24 PM »
Thanks Tombo. We can't use live minnows here anyway. What is the best way to hook the frozen minnows?

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2005, 11:00 AM »
I usually hook them up through the bottom of the jaw and out through the top of the head(top of the head seems to be a bit tougher and stays on better) so they present a horizontal picture-don't know if that matters much. I use them alot if fishing fr.shore for perch or Walleye--if the perch are biting good you can put them on anyway(bend them over and hook 'em twice so they don't steal them as easy) lots of times in this situation you will get a double.
  Cast out to where you want to be and then reel in until your line is tight(need for larger weight in windy conditions-too windy,forget it-won't work) hold rod or put in holder and wait till you see rod tip bend.
Good luck
Tombo

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2005, 11:38 AM »
Thanks again Tombo

grumpymoe

« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2005, 07:36 PM »
Terry....the first tip was absolutely correct...the hooks are junk.....rig whatever you feel comfortable with....if you are fishing for pike or walleye...dont rig the bottom hook....unless you want to catch burbot...secondly..... live bait or dead work great on these rigs....for the aggressive bite, lip hook.....slow bite....under the dorsel fin....and for the most popular.....tailhook.. .(headfirst into the mouth of the waiting angler)...suprisingly with live bait...they seldom tangle.....super setup for tipups....Grump ;D :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.