Author Topic: Spawning Walleye  (Read 1926 times)

Gilles

Spawning Walleye
« on: Feb 12, 2005, 02:34 PM »
Has anyone had luck with spawning wallies? At the two lakes I'll be targeting the Colorado Division of Wildlife puts nets up to trap the spawners for eggs. The problem that I will have is that the area is off limits to fishing while they have the nets up and rightfully so, but I think I might get a few days of fishing in before they put the nets up. Just wondering if they are willing to hit anything around this time. I do plan to release all fish unless something huge comes out. 

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Spawning Walleye
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2005, 01:08 PM »
Can't really say about your area but here in northwest Ohio it is some of the best fishing of the year.  The fish are caught in the rivers on carolina rigged floating jigs and in lake Erie and the surronding bays on jigs such as a vibee or purple hair jigs tipped with a minnow.  Good luck
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2005, 01:31 PM »
I am assuming you are talking about fishing this open water. If you can get out on the lake with a boat, I have found that with pre-spawn cold water walleye, the best presentation is with a very slow presented light weight jig (ranging from 1/16 to 1/4 oz) tipped with a minnow can be killer. We usually vertical jig, right off the bottom and actually move the jig by motoring around with the electric motor. Sometimes when the water is cold, you have to get that bait right in front of their nose. The take is usually very subtle and might just be a light tick. Set the hook every time you feel the slightest bump on your jig. We have also done well using a lindy rig tipped with a phelps floater and a lip hooked small minnow, especially if fishing from shore. These pre-spawn fish are usually very hungry but can be fairly lethargic in the colder water. Patience and a slow presentation are your keys.

IceTroll
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Gilles

« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2005, 07:53 PM »
Thanks IceTroll,
 That definatly helps, the one problem that I will have is finding minnows around this time of year. Have you tried crawlers? I see your from Wy, I've fished both the Pathfinder and Seminoe and have done really well on walleye at the Seminoe. Which one is better for size of walleye and whats the average size trout running at those lakes and have your ever caught a orphid brown?
Gilles

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2005, 11:40 PM »
The water is far too cold for leeches in early spring so if you cant get minnows I think worms would be your next best bet. When the water warms up a bit more I have had huge success without bait, just using plastic (grub tails, crawdad imitator or rubber worms). As far as Pathfinder vs Seminoe, I prefer Pathfinder for size when it comes to Walleye but Seminoe has alot more Walleye in it. Pathfinder can also be an excellant Trout reservoir and there are some true monsters in there. The problem is that Pathfinder has no water in it right now. Its lower than I have ever seen it and I have lived in Casper since 1976. It is sad to look at and this year we are having will not help it. The real sleeper for trophy walleye in Central wyoming is Alcova which is right below Pathfinder. Alcova has some of the biggest Walleye I have ever seen caught, especially pre-spawners. I personally have never caught an Orid but I have seen them caught. As far as average size of trout, I think you will find the year class of fish pretty impressive in either reservoir with 20 plus inch fish very plentiful. Hope this helps.

IceTroll
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.