Author Topic: Worst Winter Everrrr??  (Read 2783 times)

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
Worst Winter Everrrr??
« on: Feb 09, 2008, 04:02 PM »
The cold has been totally brutal here the last 3 weeks, -46 here today again.??? have only been fishing 2 times since Jan 1 seems if i have any chance to go is -50 or some stupid cold, we have 3 feet of ice but I'm not much for tip up fishing in this kind of cold, hard on the fish as well.  It has to warm up at some point right???
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Worst Winter Everrrr??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2008, 04:26 PM »
HELL IS FREEZING OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2008, 04:29 PM »
Wow our gripes are total opposites  this is the worst winter i have seen   but it sure isnt due to the overbearing cold it was due to the 3-4 days 60+ in january and anytime we get some cold  (around 20 F) not -50    we, in this area also get feet of snow slowing ice production. I as well as my western NY brethren would gladly send our temps to help moderate your temps if you send us some of that painful cold in return.      hope you get a warm up soon  

Offline Pat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2008, 04:33 PM »
The cold has been totally brutal here the last 3 weeks, -46 here today again.??? have only been fishing 2 times since Jan 1 seems if i have any chance to go is -50 or some stupid cold, we have 3 feet of ice but I'm not much for tip up fishing in this kind of cold, hard on the fish as well.  It has to warm up at some point right???

Yep can relate.... This has been the worse year for me to date too :(  It seems that none of my fishing buddies and I are ever able to get going on the same day... when we do.. it has been a little on the cool side, so it puts us in our shack and we don't want to move around. (not that there has been a lot anyway) I can't really give a good report this year as we haven't been out enough to see what the fishing is really like. Heck haen't even entered the on-line derby yet... either no camera or no card to take a photo with... oh well.. I guess we still have a few weeks left

:)

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Striper/White Bass, 3+lbs, Put back down the hole
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2008, 04:44 PM »
Global warming , eh?
[^^ I Just had ta throw that in there.... :) ]

It's not the cold for me, I don't really mind our relatively nice winter as far as temps go for Minnesota.A few  -10 to-20 below F. Some highs in the -10 to +5 F. Some days warming up to the 30+F( Pretty mild compared to you Northern friends.)
 For me it's like what PAT said :

"It seems that none of my fishing buddies and I are ever able to get going on the same day... when we do.. it has been a little on the cool side, so it puts us in our shack and we don't want to move around."

I like fishing year round, but spending time with your friends fishing & going thru the winter months having fun together makes it seem a little easier.
It's hard having a "shin-dig" (get-together) on open water. I keep spilling my brew going from boat ta boat. Rather than shanty to shanty. ;)

Go FIsh!
:D
   - My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Good Luck!! &  "Watch Your Bobber!"

Offline John_Boy

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Give me ice or give me death !!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2008, 05:04 PM »
This season is my worst season ever , we had less then 2 weeks of ice fishing .Most lakes are wide
open now .
                                                                        John

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2008, 05:09 PM »
wow john    does it have any chance of coming back ?   it is supposed to get cold

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2008, 05:22 PM »
Come on up to Maine it has been real nice.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2008, 05:32 PM »
I agree...definately not an ice-fishing winter...it's either brutal cold or windy as h@#$ or both We had one nice Sunday at the end of Jan. Can't wait till the warm up. If this keeps up I'm going to have to hunt for my auger extension.

Offline JCaughtem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Someday I will have a record fish!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2008, 05:58 PM »
Sorry man .You must be able to fish a lot later in the year at least the pike are only getting bigger or shall i say huger.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2008, 06:34 PM »
We haven't had quite as much extreme cold here in Michigan that you folks up north have, but I have to say I feel like I have plowed enough snow for three winters already!

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2008, 07:08 PM »
ditto! here in n. maine as well. weve had our fair share of cold also but not that cold! at least not yet. i feel for you guys up north. weve had some winters here the whole month of jan was in the -0's during the day and -30-40f at night! but you guys did have a earlier start than us though.

Offline JCaughtem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Someday I will have a record fish!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2008, 07:11 PM »
I think you may have to build one of your log cabins on the lake and fish inide it i know you thought about it. ;D

Offline skully

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2008, 07:56 PM »
Sorry man .You must be able to fish a lot later in the year at least the pike are only getting bigger or shall i say huger.
love the whale pic my kids and i get a good laugh everytime we see it on you tube .stay safe

Offline zooplankton

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2008, 08:32 PM »
I'm in the same boat as johnboy & marcus, In the Poconos area & southern tier ( of the pocs.) we had ice
and lost it twice now, last weekend I fished a lake in Mt.Pocono, Pa. there was 10"-of ice & open water
@ the far end of the lake/pond (345 acres),. This is a very shallow body of water to begin with, this area
is one of the colder areas in the state...........It's a real bummer down here, you good ole boys up north
need to share some of that "polar express" ;D........

Zoo.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2008, 09:13 PM »
After I enjoyed about 6 weeks last year,this year has been one of the worst years for ice,cold,warm, rain ,cold and warm.  We had up and down temps all winter. I can't blame it on G.M.,because your having a nasty winter,and most of are weather has come up from the south this winter,three outings all year.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2008, 10:15 PM »
Us guys in NY will take a week of that weather to make some ice.  Send it our way.   

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2008, 10:21 PM »

bring some of that cold down here!  i'll take it while it's still available.
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2008, 03:12 AM »
still -43 :o 32+" of ice and counting
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2008, 05:45 AM »
still -43 :o 32+" of ice and counting

If you would just give us PA icefishermen some of that cold air lets say -32 worth than we could all fish and be happy. 50 deg and raining in SEPA right now no ice with in 100 miles. you are right worst winter ever!!!!

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2008, 06:39 AM »
here in hamden,Ct., i so wish i had that problem. winter here has sucked so bad, may have to move up north more.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline ejensen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2008, 08:27 AM »
-10 here in Iowa right now with -30 to -40 windchills!!! ice is any where from 12" in southern Iowa to 32" on some lakes in northern Iowa!!! :thumbsup: :whistle:

Ed

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2008, 08:49 AM »
Us guys in NY will take a week of that weather to make some ice.  Send it our way.   

I just Post Marked this slug we're getting right now to your address!

:icefish:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 10, 2008, 08:55 AM »
Its a bummer here too (north Idaho).   We have about 12" of good ice but lots of snow over the last two weeks have made it a sloppy wet mess.  If we don't get a good cold snap to set it up tight again, its probably over.....

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 10, 2008, 09:45 AM »
Gotta love the adirondacks, I've been fishing for atleast a month and a half :-)
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 10, 2008, 10:58 AM »
the cold is here     its a bit breezy  50+mph gusts     but its finally cold  ;D

Offline spillway

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 10, 2008, 11:47 AM »
I agree that extreme cold is not much fun, but warm winters are not much fun either. Just last week we had temps in the 60's and 4 inches of rain. Hopefully next winter you guys up north us in the Great lakes region can have a normal winter.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Feb 10, 2008, 11:56 AM »
this has been one of the most fantastic winters that I can remember!

We get some brutal cold for a few days to make some ice, then a few days of mild temps to get out and use it. The snow is minimal, so I can go anywhere with my ATV without getting stuck. We have more ice than we need already.  By the time the weather warms up, we will have enough ice ice to fish safely well into April. The wind has been very calm all winter too if you don't count today. :-\

It is -15 below F and I am starting to worry about my shingles and siding blowing off my house. :-[

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.