Author Topic: worst day on ice  (Read 1954 times)

Offline acaravaglia

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those trout.
Re: worst day on ice
« Reply #30 on: Dec 19, 2012, 07:49 PM »
My worst day was up on greenwood lake. Though I had a great time with friends and family, I did not have a power auger an the ice was 15-16 inches thick. Didn't catch a damn thing except a sore shoulder.

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Dec 21, 2012, 01:16 PM »
You forgot to write you like the Jets.
Ha ha ha...good one.  That's not a bad day, thats just a bad choice in teams.  :-\  Which gives me a bad season....again!  Just like my favorite jig....I stay loyal....and dumb.  Happy Holidays.
Take the pledge, be safe, enjoy every second of life and lets go JETS!

Offline PsychologicalPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Catch and Release (Feel better and less fat)
« Reply #32 on: Dec 21, 2012, 01:43 PM »
Worst day ever had to be when a salmon could not fit its head out of the 8 inch hole in the ice on beach pond on the ri/ct border. It was stuck for about 5 seconds then the ***** unhooked itself and down the drain it went (along with my function to happy)
Fishing is a sport in which thinking is involved it is the covenant between nature and man, mother and son. Through fishing only can we recreate the link that has been tarnished throughout the existence of the modern era of mankind. Fishing is the answer yet people ignore it and consider it a "stupid" thing to do. What do these people do instead? They stare in front of color changing boxes. Is that life? My life is fishin

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 21, 2012, 01:52 PM »
Wow, would have thought I'd have seen more injuries, or through the ice stories in here.  Just in my group alone, I've seen concussions, broken leg from stepping in a 10" hole, multiple hooks in various body parts, near frostbite conditions, pressure ridges opening up forcing us to 'take the long way home', many horror stories of removing shacks in unsafe ice conditions, etc.  If forgetting the vex (marcum) is the worst day you've had on the ice....you've been pretty darn lucky.

Offline Sixxer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 21, 2012, 02:24 PM »
saw this video from the Gorge, looks pretty scary how fast ice can move...

"Of course our rods are short, it's freezing out here!"

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #35 on: Dec 21, 2012, 02:30 PM »
My worst, was not a day but what I call experience.
In the afternoon the day before my young son and I found the ice good had a ball, enough that I called two of my bro's and set plans for the next morning. It started out somewhat windy the next morning, we arrived before light, got out set up, I stayed stationary with my son in the shanty, the wind was blowing hard enough that I didn't dare step out. A couple of hours goes by, all of a sudden water starts rising out of the holes, I glance out the window my brother is walking towards us. Suddenly his leg goes thru to his hip, he reacted quick and crab walked back. Being freaked, I open the shanty door as I glance out there is open water where we had walked in the AM. In a flash we had all our gear wrapped up with wreckless abandon. I had my son who was like 5 or 6 years old hold the lantern and walk with me, wind blowing so hard took a lot to get started, wind knocked my son down and actually stared blowing him across the lake, I snatched him up, on top of the shanty he goes. Can't go with the wind nothin but open water that way, zig zagging against the wind towards shore. Allmost safe at least over shallow water, my bro gets my attention, there is another shanty out, could not yell loud enough to get over the noise of the wind. As we approached the shore I see the fellow in the shanty take a look out and he was broke down and going strait to shore the quickest way, a marshy mucky end of the lake, but he was off anyhow.

I was young when this happened, I say the nite before there was like a good 5 inches of ice. I did not know wind could cut ice up like that. That's my worst.
:icefish:

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #36 on: Dec 21, 2012, 07:18 PM »
My worst was starting the day feeling OK and by the middle of the day having the full-blown FLU. No shanty to warm up in and I was shivering violently, and could not see straight with the headache and fever, for the last 4 hours until dusk when we finally wrapped up. I did not want to disappoint my brother and leave because the fish were biting OK, I told him to get all the flags, but I thought I might die that day, and was actually hoping that I would to avoid having to wrap up my tipups in freezing temps.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.