Author Topic: Worms in Perch ?  (Read 3461 times)

cid

Worms in Perch ?
« on: Feb 12, 2005, 11:05 AM »
What are the worms or white grubs sometimes found in Perch?
Can you still eat the perch with these in them?
Have heard that a lake I was thinking about trying has "wormy Perch" so now its got me worried ???

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Worms in Perch ?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2005, 01:30 PM »
people do eat the perch, but I don't need fish that bad to eat them.Some other threads on that subject here somewhere's
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline tinboat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fishing rules!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2005, 07:02 PM »
I really hate to tell you this............you might be surprised to know that most fish, including saltwater fish, have worms..........that's why it's important to cook the fish thoroughly. Just think of the worms as extra protein.... ;D
Gregg

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2005, 07:47 PM »
Protein...Mmmmmm Protein ;D

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2005, 12:43 AM »
Dont worry, they taste like chicken ;D
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

missfishylicious

« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2005, 10:47 AM »
I seem to recall the wormy perch I've found had black specks on there bellys and when cleaned there were grubs in the meat.now I throw back perch with the spots

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2005, 01:28 PM »
I seem to recall the wormy perch I've found had black specks on there bellys and when cleaned there were grubs in the meat.now I throw back perch with the spots

Thats a GREAT way of telling if they have worms.Been doing that for years.Black specks throw them back.I don't need the Extra Protein.Tinboat you are right too alot of fish do have worms But if I don't see them does not matter.I'll never be on Fear Factor ;D
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

cid

« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2005, 01:30 PM »
OK
I like Chicken  ;D and protein is good for you too!

Mackinaw

« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2005, 04:55 PM »
Yellow grubs are common in perch around here.  If it’s a bad case you will see them as soon as you start filleting, otherwise I’ll hold a fillet up to a strong light and look for them. They look like a sesame seed. One time I took one out with the tip of the knife and it came too.  Just imagine a cream coloured miniature leech squirming around looking for a new host.    Eat em if you want, I could never knowingly keep them down.  http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10364_10950-26966--,00.html

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2005, 07:01 PM »
The black dots aka black grubs are spread by water birds. They are then spread into water snails, then to fish. Usually the black dots are on the skin- no harm done. Yellow grubs, get spread by water birds as well such as herons, and cormorants. Those usually result with worms in the flesh/meat of the fish.

petedraggin

« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2005, 07:45 PM »
I would hate to tell you what is in hot dogs, your morning cereal - hey, my kid just told me cheese is actually mold, yuk!

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2005, 02:58 AM »
  Doesn't bother me much, as long as they aren't the black dots.  I know those are just in the skin, but it still bothers me.  Just fry 'em up.  Mmm....

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

missfishylicious

« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2005, 11:25 AM »
The black dots aka black grubs are spread by water birds. They are then spread into water snails, then to fish. Usually the black dots are on the skin- no harm done. Yellow grubs, get spread by water birds as well such as herons, and cormorants. Those usually result with worms in the flesh/meat of the fish.

you could very well be right ,could be the fish I find to have black dots, also have the grubs ,simply because there weakened for some reason, but my perch always have both so i toss em back

tricky dick

« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2005, 12:53 PM »
 Paracites are alsoo found in small mouth bass and cooking the fish solves the problem.

jackingjoe

« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2005, 05:54 PM »
somtimes the dots are blue.  i tend to throw the dot heads back.  although i'm sure the parasites evaporate in hot grease.

missfishylicious

« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2005, 07:09 PM »
I think they taste like frog legs  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.