Author Topic: worst ice fishing day?  (Read 5417 times)

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: worst ice fishing day?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 12, 2005, 05:01 AM »
Terry, you rule.  I liked the bit rehab, I can imagine the looks you got.  Keep up the good work, it's important to us all.
My worst day involved pushing my truck out of a snowbank and popping my right knee out.  After enduring a pleasant but fruitless day on the St.Croix River during a 10 in snowstorm, I tried to maneuver my old 2wd F150 up a steep ravine road on the Wisconsin side. 4 or 5 tries got me nowhere near the top so I tried to turn around and buried the rear in the burrow pit.  No one around.  I tried everything. No luck.  Finally I decided to jam a window scraper brush against the gas pedal with rope attached to yank out, while I rocked and pushed from the rear.  Made some progress rocking and then it came back unexpectedly with me pushing. Pop goes the knee, forgot they could bend up like that. Luckily it popped back in, yanked the gas rope and passed out for about half hour. Woke up, truck still running,tied a bandanna around the knee and sat for about a half hour until a guy in a 4x4 stopped on his way home from work across the river.  He pulled my truck back around and down to the river where I drove back across to the "easy" access on the Minnesota side.  Being a stubburn, stoic Scandinavian and still a bit in shock from the pain, of course I went to a movie instead of a hospital or home.  I was unemployed and uninsured at the time.  It took 4 weeks for me to walk without a crutch.  All my vehicles have been 4 wheel drive since.  I learned many lessons that night.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 12, 2005, 05:34 PM »
today ;)2

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #32 on: Feb 12, 2005, 06:40 PM »
The day I dropped my camera down the hole ughhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was an accident but always someone worse off to all my buddies fishing remember you may have a bad day but some people have a bad life?

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline keny

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just poken holes
« Reply #33 on: Feb 13, 2005, 02:07 AM »
last thursday- tied my hand auger on in a hurry it caught the bank when I cross the road with my snow mobile {high banks} bent the handle broke out tail light tore off liscience plate  all that 500ft from where I was parked.I retied auger and kept on to the lake.I straitened the auger handle as best I could by jamming it through the storage rack on my snow machine {looks like a dogs hind leg}but managed to drill two holes and catch fish though.Still better than working.Is somewhat straiter now after dark I worked on it some more.It will never be the same now.I will get a new one for valentines day from the wife{if not I get myself a gift}Swede bore rules!!!!!!

Offline ny_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mike
« Reply #34 on: Feb 15, 2005, 05:42 PM »
A few weeks ago I was driving back from ice-fishing when I had another kidney stone attack. I ended up going to the hospital dressed head to toe in Camoflauge. Luckily it a hospital in a rural community that was used to seeing people in camoflauge, even the doctors ;D

adk roy that happened to me 2 weeks ago .. thought i was gonna die .
Where is the ice !!!!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #35 on: Feb 16, 2005, 06:46 AM »
A few weeks ago I was driving back from ice-fishing when I had another kidney stone attack. I ended up going to the hospital dressed head to toe in Camoflauge. Luckily it a hospital in a rural community that was used to seeing people in camoflauge, even the doctors ;D

adk roy that happened to me 2 weeks ago .. thought i was gonna die .

That's the great thing I've learned about kidney stones, you know after your first one that you won't die from them, but you still wish someone would put you out of your misery when you start to pass one! :P
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

PIKEGUY

« Reply #36 on: Feb 16, 2005, 08:08 AM »
I have to say last Saturday was my worst. Things started out bad when I pulled the seat forward in my buddy's dads truck and dumped the minnow bucket all over the floor. Cleaned it up and left for a spot we've never been to. Unload the truck and I start dragging the sled full of gear down a trail with little snow and find a pretty good sized log laying on the path. Well, feeling like superman, I clean and jerk it and start walking with it to move it off the path. This thing is pretty heavy and I can see that one end is gonna hit a tree to my right so I figured I could hit it hard enough and it would break ::) WRONG I hit the tree, the log flies back and smacks me right in the shin. OK, pain, blood, about 1 1/2 hours left to walk to get TO the spot. This sucks. We have a map and I'm using it. I tell my Friends dad that we need to head Northwest and we should be there in a few minutes. He says nope we gotta go this way(Northeast). We argue, I say fine lets go that way and see what happens. 40 minutes later I convince him that we have to now go Southwest and he says go take a look. I go across a slough and run down the shore on the other side for a while, find the spot, and head back to tell them. I get down the bank to the slough and sploosh, through the ice I go. Luckily I only got wet below the waist and it was 40 degrees. We proceed to the spot and after two hours of walking/dragging we get to this secluded place. What do we see? 4 people just setting up. We go talk to them and my buddy's dad says "where did you guys walk in from?" They say "we followed your tracks till you went east and then we went west ::)" So they get the spot I wanted to fish while we set up in the shallowest spot I can imagine. We proceeded to build a fire and not get one flag in 3 hours from 7 traps. Pack up, head for home, and it only takes half the time since we went my way. And that was my crappy day. Oh yeah, then I went home and tried to cut off the bottom of my bathroom door to fit over some new carpet. Which side do you think I cut off? I don't even want to say but I'll bet you can guess :-\

Offline tinboat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fishing rules!
« Reply #37 on: Feb 16, 2005, 12:39 PM »
...sounds like you added some ventilation space at the top of the door.....interesting concept...let us know how it works?

( and yup, that was a BAD day )
Gregg

Rock Bottom

« Reply #38 on: Feb 16, 2005, 12:49 PM »
My worst day of fishin was last year when I took the kids out to the lake for the afternoon, after getting to the shack and getting the stove going It was time to drill some holes. Start the auger let it warm up but it wont cut, and as somoeone who sharpens augers I am both mad and confused. after pissing around for a bit I realize the bottom plate is bent so the blade is not hitting the ice I get my bar and hammer it straight drill one hole outside and shut off the auger. I go into the shack to drill the holes in there grab the pull cord give it a good yank and rip the cord right out and put my elbow right through the window. After a few choice words I realize I have a shack with a good fire no window or holes in it 3 kids and only one hole outside, Ok kids time to go home...

PIKEGUY

« Reply #39 on: Feb 16, 2005, 02:39 PM »
...sounds like you added some ventilation space at the top of the door.....interesting concept...let us know how it works?

( and yup, that was a BAD day )

That's what people keep telling me. When my buddy moves in with me it will come in REAL handy.  I should call him Mr. Gas

Offline The Clam

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • icin' eyes
« Reply #40 on: Feb 16, 2005, 06:52 PM »
One day two years ago.  It was about -10f with heavy wind.  My partner consumed copious amounts of beer and chili the night before. :-[  Needless to say things were not very pleasant inside :sick: :sick:, and it was to nasty to stay outside.
Fish may be stupid but I've never seen a perch sitting in a boat with a second degree sun burn trying to catch a man.

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 16, 2005, 06:53 PM »
i9 wouldve taken my chances outside :sick:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.