Author Topic: worst ice fishing day?  (Read 5416 times)

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
worst ice fishing day?
« on: Feb 10, 2005, 01:28 PM »
there are post about best day on the ice      but i wanna hear the worst of the worst days on the ice they are usually better stories than good days :tipup:

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
Re: worst ice fishing day?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2005, 01:47 PM »
the day i fell through :-\

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2005, 02:04 PM »
A few weeks ago I was driving back from ice-fishing when I had another kidney stone attack. I ended up going to the hospital dressed head to toe in Camoflauge. Luckily it a hospital in a rural community that was used to seeing people in camoflauge, even the doctors ;D
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2005, 02:19 PM »
If I was fishing it couldn't have been bad ;D
       Jim

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2005, 02:26 PM »
NEW YEARS DAY early in the mourning, I was fishing on Cuba lake, parked on northshore rd. .We had been fish about 15min. when some kid ran into my pickup, it had the tail gate down and my friends polaris snow mobile in the back, which ended up in the cab.  Everything was totally destroyed....... :'(
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

Offline rayfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2005, 02:31 PM »
If i'm on the ice, I'm not at work!!!!!   Can't be that bad! ;D

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2005, 02:43 PM »
here is my worst trip this year:
leave at 3 am on a 5 hr trip and pick up a cup of nasties tasting coffe in my life :sick:
hook a nice laker on 2lb and break him off at the hole , and it's my only fish that day
parked my truck on a street at by buddies house and his wife calls that someone smashed my side mirror
while closing my fish trap i break two of my rods
total trip: 23 hrs
I could not wait for the day to be over  :(

Offline loualbano

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • one tough day...........brrrrrrrrrrrrrr
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2005, 02:54 PM »
today fishing in a blizzard dropping cell phone down hole

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2005, 02:55 PM »
i almost did that saturday but it bounced over the hole off my boot whew :tipup:

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2005, 04:28 PM »
Drive out onto favorite spot on lake with 20 inches of good ice covered by 10 inches of wet snow but Chev has 4wd and no problem. Get to spot, park truck and realize that we are setting in a depression in ice with 6 inches of water on ice but under the 10 inches of snow. Decide to move a few feet to a dry spot and can't- no traction and stuck in the slush. Have to shovel 30 feet to "dry ice" as only ones on lake till later in morning. Move to new spot (no coronary while shoveling) and set up but when drill first hole water spouts out like old faithful from the pressure on the ice. We fish in slop all day and had to shovel again but we did  get fish and were away from our wives. :tipup:
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline chief613

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ....but why does it always happen to me!?
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2005, 04:32 PM »
my worst day?? it was still better than my best day at work

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2005, 05:10 PM »
any day I don't catch something!!!!! ;D ;D still better than workin

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2005, 05:43 PM »
my worst days are when im at school and not on the ice

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2005, 06:11 PM »
Getting my old Blazer stuck 4 or 5 times on LCO and this is before I even drilled a hole
Each digout session took about 30 min. Didn't even get a flag,and this is all taking place during a tourney! To boot I drove over my buddy's auger before the day was done! :o :o[ :o :oAlmost putting my new Silverado in last week was right up there too.
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Offline tinboat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fishing rules!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2005, 06:46 PM »
never had a worst day, they are always the best days ;D ;D
Gregg

Offline dancingminnow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2005, 06:51 PM »
A BAD DAY FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK!
IM OUTA HOOKS.  CAN I USE THAT ONE ON THE BRIM OF YOUR HAT?

Offline fishinworms

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2005, 07:12 PM »
got skunked after all day, slipped and fell walking off the ice, no gloves on and the ice gashed my hand open.....it didn't heal forever and was a constant reminder of getting shut out....

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2005, 10:40 PM »
Was looking down my hole years ago and my artificial eye popped out and down the hole. 40 ft of water and kissed the eye good bye as I watched it float down. $1700.00 out. Kind of ruined my day. Went to pack up and an eagle stole my only fish of the morning. Oh well, thats life.

Offline HOS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2005, 07:18 AM »
...everytime I have to leave the ice to go home. That is my worst day!

Offline d_balm24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2005, 09:42 AM »
My vote for worste day is Terrygonefishing the guy lost his eye for christ sake. Never knew a glass eye cost so much. Good thing I still have both my regular eyes.

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2005, 09:48 AM »
shouldve used eagle eye for your screen name :angel     just kidding terry that was a terrible day and im with d_balm i had no clue glass eyes were that much :tipup:

sorry terry i gotta ask for fun :angel      did you have a red rider bb gun growing up  ;)2

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2005, 10:37 AM »
Would have been a good screen name yes archbishop. I hunt alot and my hunting buddies call me "Dead Eye". Thats also because I shoot alot of long distance shots and find my mark. I like to practice at 800 yards so everything in between is a piece of cake.
No didn't have a pellet gun when young. I went right into a 22 when I was 7 yrs old right there alongside pop.
I had retinoblastoma when I was months old. It is a form of cancer that affects children at a very young age. I have lots of fun with it now but when I was growing up was more self conscious of it. I give my parents heck all the time cause they didn't save it for fishing bait. Now I care less about what people think of me.
I work in a Detox Center and there is a youth wing. I go down when the counsellors have a real roudy bunch of kids. I start my coversation with them by asking them if they know what happens when you take too much crystal meth? Usually the answer is "No, what man, I have a real good time" ha ha ha. I respond with popping my eye out and tossing it on the table. Then ask "Any questions?"
Actually at the time I was only out $1350.00, now they are $1700.00 here in Canada. Its funny how everyone knows "glass eye" when they are actually plastic. Glass eyes went out in the 40's right after the 2nd World War, but the term glass eye still remains.
Sometimes things happen in life and you just have to shrugg it off to lifes little experiences.
Now I get to do silly things like post pics of strange looking fish, like this one:
[/img]

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 11, 2005, 10:43 AM »
thats good you have a sense of humor but i can understand being self consious as a youth i had a friend in my class who had a "plastic" eye and he was real embarassed but as we got older it became a good ice breaker for him to talk to new people for a while then go get a beer and come back with it out and see them freak out and other pranks like that lifes to short not to have a sense of humor ecspecially about something you cannot control glad to see you can still smile  :thumbsup:

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 11, 2005, 10:49 AM »
Like you say archbishop: Life is too short and we only get one kick at the pot so we may as well have fun and enjoy the ride. And keep smiling and laughing ;D

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2005, 10:55 AM »
dont see many of those blue eyed fish  :woot:

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 11, 2005, 11:03 AM »
Knowing that I was on the ice for the last time of the season.

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 11, 2005, 11:04 AM »
hopefully not the last time this year :'(

Offline chrisN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 11, 2005, 12:55 PM »
Cant say ive ever had a bad day on the ice.  But this summer we had an awful fishing trip.  It was on a long weekend and we where going fishing at this lake that is really good for pike.  We booked a Scout camp in a little bay which is boat access only and the fishing is crazy.  So we head out bright and early on Canada day.  We are probably about 20 minutes from the boat launch when somebody honks and tells us to pull over.  We get out and discover that 3 of the 4 lug nuts off one of the trailer tires are gone.  And because it was canada day we knew we where going to have a hard time finding new ones.  So we parked the boat at a parking lot by a hiking trail and backed the car up.  But backed it up to far and the back tires went over a 3 foot ledge and where just hanging there.  And our car is rear wheel drive so we had a hard time getting it out.  Finally we are off to find some lug nuts.  After about 2 hours of searching stores we finally find some at a camp ground store.  So we head back to where we parked the boat put them on.  It was about 6pm by the time we got to the island and we where hoping to be there by about 9:30 am.  The next day was a beautiful day of fishing and just enjoying the nature.  Couldnt have asked for better weather.  But the day after that was a different story.  It was rainy and really windy.  To windy to take the boat out of the bay so we where just fishing around the bay.  All we where getting where little hammer handles and than when my brother was taking the hook out of one it flopped and sent a treble hook straight through my brothers finger.  you could see the tip of it on the other side of the finger.  And it was not coming out.  So now we have to go to the hospital.  We take the boat out battling white caps and park the boat at a cottagers dock and drove 45 mintues to the nearest hospital.  Finally get back to the campsite that evening and than the next morning we packed in and headed home 2 days early.

now we always carry extra lugnuts in the boat
Team Manitoba

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #28 on: Feb 11, 2005, 02:24 PM »
man,  that was a stinker of a trip :(.  I had a big trebble though my hand once and had to go to the hospital as well,   The 3/0 hook was so deep,  i could not push it through my lower thumb and ended up spending 3 hrs in ER.   

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #29 on: Feb 11, 2005, 06:24 PM »
T-G-F,
Sounds like you have just become some sort of a hero with us guy's, great story! Glad to hear someone like you is keeping an eye out for us!
 ;D  :D  ;D  :D  ;D   ;D

We've gone by the TGIF (Thank God It's Friday) to look forward to weekends. Now we'll be thinking things like TGIT (thank God it's Terry!) when we hear from you.

:tipup:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.