Author Topic: What Sonar do you have?  (Read 4703 times)

Offline bass_in_ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What Sonar do you have?
« Reply #30 on: Oct 18, 2013, 04:57 AM »
I got the hummingbird ice 55 for 4 years. Love it. Look online for the best deals. Type in each type of flasher and look at online prices. I found my bird new for 419.00 including shipping plus 50 dollar rebate. That's a steal!

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #31 on: Oct 18, 2013, 05:29 AM »
About 10 years with the m68c by Lowrance.  No problems and can use it on the yak in open water.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline Joe2727

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Oct 18, 2013, 10:12 AM »
As a young boy my father took me and my brothers with him ice fishing he used a vexilar. I ice fish local lakes near home and I us my FL-12 and my Cabelas underwater camera. I do suggest upgrading to a tri beam transducer.

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Oct 18, 2013, 12:41 PM »
I have both Vexilar FL8 and Marcum5lx.  For my use there isn't any noticeable difference other than I like the 8 degree setting when fishing deeper than 20 fow and super fine line setting on the Marcum, but I am sure the higher end Vexilars have those options as well.  I don't use any of the other features, maybe this year I will figure them out, just haven't had a reason to learn how to use them yet.

Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #34 on: Oct 20, 2013, 06:23 AM »
I have both Vexilar FL8 and Marcum5lx.  For my use there isn't any noticeable difference other than I like the 8 degree setting when fishing deeper than 20 fow and super fine line setting on the Marcum, but I am sure the higher end Vexilars have those options as well.  I don't use any of the other features, maybe this year I will figure them out, just haven't had a reason to learn how to use them yet.

LOL.......I hear ya Bruce.  When I got my 'bird 45 it took me awhile to figure them out.  Sometimes simplicity works best.

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Oct 20, 2013, 08:49 AM »
I started with an fl8, great unit no bells and whistles but great unit.  Two years ago I went to the fl20 let tell you it is a mean machine, I don't think I have it all figured out yet.  I have seen a Marcum vx1 in action as well, used it a few times and it is another good unit.

Offline tonstone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Oct 20, 2013, 09:03 AM »
Fl-12

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Oct 20, 2013, 09:05 AM »
I prefer a graph display, vexilars give me eye strain watching the lights flickering constantly, on top of that the only ones I've been around were way too loud for my shanty.

Offline jakep138

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Oct 20, 2013, 09:11 AM »
Have a showdown but upgrading to Lx 6 this year

Offline KnudorFnugelfufen

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Piscator non solum piscatur
« Reply #39 on: Oct 20, 2013, 10:04 AM »
Lowrance Elite 5 X converted for icefishing with the PPP-18i kit ( http://www.profishingsupply.com/flashers/lowrance_ppp-18i_ice_pack.htm ) and the PTI-WSU bullet shaped transducer ( http://store.navico.com/Products/000-0106-68 ).
There´s more to fishing than catching fish...

Offline sbrown8020

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Oct 20, 2013, 10:45 AM »
I sold my boat this year and along with it the sonar I used for ice fishing.  I have always had a lowrance ice fishing machine since I could use it in hard and soft water.   While the ice machine did have a flasher mode,I liked the open water chart view the best.    While my first ice machine had a gps, it did not accept a chip and give much detail.  Last year I had a HDS 5, but did not have an updated chip for the lakes I fished. 

I always wondered about the relative sensitivity of these combo units to a marcum or vex.   I have also heard concerns about interference when using ice machines (or similar type units) around typical flasher type units. 

I do plan to buy a boat in 12-24 months and would like to be able to use this for the boat, but based on the new units available I may just go with a touch screen model and use this for a backup unit. 

I am looking at a Marcum  Lx-6, lx-7,  Humminbird ICE 597ci HD Combo, or an hds 5 ice machine.

Curious on your thoughts regarding:
1.  Any experience with any of these units?
2.  Any experience with interference on the ice machine style units?
3.  How valuable is a gps unit for fishing the local lakes?
4.   Thoughts on relative sensitivity of these units?

Thanks for your help!!

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Oct 22, 2013, 02:00 PM »
My .02

1.  Any experience with any of these units?--
As far sensitivity of the flasher. My LMS-522 is as sensitive as any flasher on the market. I am sure the HDS5 would be fantastic.

I definitely have issues with interference when sitting in deep water in a crowd of people with other machines. Doesn't everyone have some interference in this situation?

3.  How valuable is a gps unit for fishing the local lakes?
Great when fishing after dark or in an area of the lake where you can't line up a few land marks and want to get on a small spot.

There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline Yote

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Oct 23, 2013, 11:52 AM »
I use the Navionics app for my smartphone. Cost me 9 bucks and is pretty reliable. It has depth contours and an arrow to show where you are in relation to the drop-offs, etc.

Also, I played around with the FLX-28 last night at Scheels. Wow is that a sweet little unit.
keep yer stick on the ice.

Offline justjiggin83

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Oct 23, 2013, 03:04 PM »
I also use the navionics on my phone and it is a very good tool for ice fishing. Open water it is kind of a pain so i plan on upgrading my fish finder next year on the boat to a gps unit. I like to troll alot and my phone eats battery life like crazy while using the app.

Offline Hole_Hoppin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I got to get me one of these
« Reply #44 on: Oct 23, 2013, 05:54 PM »
From reading this thread, I am wondering if I should buy something that is better when it comes to user friendly. I have never had owned a unit for the ice and I defiantly think I am going to need one.                         

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Oct 23, 2013, 06:04 PM »
A Vexlair fl-8 is a great starter unit..  easy to use..  Look on e-bay you might find a good deal on a used one.  I had my son when he was 3 yr old fishing with a fl-8.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #46 on: Oct 23, 2013, 09:02 PM »
Buy one of the newer models....FL 28 or marcum lx9 if you have the cash.  You 'read' them all the same, but the newer models have alot more features on them that you may use at times no matter what you fish for.  If you get a base model like the FL8, you can't use features the unit does not have, but with the newer models you can run them like a fl8 if you wish, but the extra features are there when you need them.

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Oct 23, 2013, 09:36 PM »
Lowrance M68c last season. Got the bigger screen this season. Elite 5 ice machine. Sold my vex.

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Oct 24, 2013, 05:34 PM »
I'm running the fl 20 . I love this unit but I think I want to put a Tri ducer on it for the shallow areas if fish from time to time and then be able to got out the to the deep water and tighten it up and get a better read of the bottom .

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #49 on: Oct 24, 2013, 05:43 PM »
Fl18 and LX5 nothing fancy, but they do everything I need for ice fishing.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Oct 24, 2013, 06:00 PM »
Have HB 45, HB 597ci HD with ice conversion kit.  To speak to the post and question below here's some answers in a thread not too long ago --> http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=260818.msg2683533#msg2683533

I always wondered about the relative sensitivity of these combo units to a marcum or vex.   I have also heard concerns about interference when using ice machines (or similar type units) around typical flasher type units. 

Thanks for your help!!

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Oct 25, 2013, 12:13 PM »
Here's my .02 cents on fish finders.

First off,  buy what you can afford.  If you can only afford an entry level model, so be it.  It's certainly better than nothing.  I don't care what brand it is, HB, Marcum, Vexilar they will all mark fish for you.  The question you have to ask yourself is in two years will you be wanting to upgrade?  If you are the type of person that likes to have new cool stuff, buy top of the line then. Trust me, I don't have a horse in this race and don't care what you end up buying, but buy something YOU are happy with.

With all that being said,  I run a Marcum LX7.  For as long as I could remember, I was a Vexilar guy and loved them.  The FL-20 was hard to beat.  The reason I moved over to Marcum and the LX7 is because I wanted to be able to update my machine at no cost.  There were a couple updates last year.  The second update changed the entire layout of the screen and made it better.  The update was free and easy to install.  The machine also performed better.  It's a digital world, so why not have the latest technology when I fish?  A mechanical dial could only take ME so far.  For other folks, the mechanical dial is what they like.  They are not wrong, it's what they prefer.  There is nothing wrong with Vexilar, but they took me as far as I could go.

Bottom line is if you buy a HB, Marcum, Vexilar or Lowrance you cannot go wrong.  All of those manufacturers make a quality product.  Everyone prefers something slightly different and that's why so many fishfinder manufacturers can exist.  Just like asking 100 guys which they prefer,  blondes, brunettes or redheads (Oh man, don't get me started about red heads!) you will get many different answers.

A little bit of advice for you that took me a long time to figure out........  Spend as much time learning about the fish and it's habits you are targeting and soon the brand of fish finder you have will become less important.

Steuben1

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Oct 28, 2013, 06:20 PM »
Well said!!................ give me a Vex and a redhead and I'm good to go..... LOL
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #53 on: Oct 29, 2013, 07:41 PM »
none
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Oct 29, 2013, 08:57 PM »
Vexilar 28 might be right up your ally! There's an automatic feature that pretty much just lets you turn in on throw it in and it auto adjusts to get the most lines of resolution possible. The cone angle also adjusts depending on the depth of water. As you get more used to what your needs are then you can switch over to manual. Check it out on vexilars website I just got one to test out from a distributor will use it a few times this week vertical fishing and compare it to my 20. If the 28 lives up to vexilars expectations in my opinion it would be a no brainer for a beginner with the auto feature.

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Oct 29, 2013, 10:17 PM »
Indeed the FLX28 is truly amazing based off of the video on Vexilars website!

Offline firefighter04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Oct 29, 2013, 11:08 PM »
Looks like the vex guys like the red heads but us marcum guys like the blonds.  ;)  ;D ill be running the lx9 this year but Steuben hit the nail on the head with the buy what you can afford. And buy the best you can afford from any of the big 4 that suit your individual style and preferences.  Play with them in the store and see what you like to navigate.  Figure out which displays / layouts you like and find easy to read it will help you visualize what's going on below the ice.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #57 on: Oct 29, 2013, 11:10 PM »
FL8 FL 20   FLX 28 
Never to many short poles

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #58 on: Oct 30, 2013, 04:20 AM »
A little bit of advice for you that took me a long time to figure out........  Spend as much time learning about the fish and it's habits you are targeting and soon the brand of fish finder you have will become less important.

Steuben1

Now that comment right there hits the nail on the head.

Offline B_ALEX70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Nov 06, 2013, 09:32 PM »
 Not trying to hijack this thread, but I'm in the same boat as Zktaylor. Now I've read every post and the only question i have (which i think only one person kinda commented on) is which one would be most suitable for shallow waters? Less than 10 fow, ie: Willow Slough. I know vexilar sell a cable to reduce the power for this situation but haven't seen a whole lot about the Marcums. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.