Author Topic: Simonton Lake  (Read 5336 times)

Offline $$HardwaterJunki$$

• IceShanty Rookie
Simonton Lake
« on: Jan 09, 2010, 11:48 PM »

I got this hog on a yellow ice fly today

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Simonton Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2010, 11:54 PM »

I also got these on the yellow ice fly tipped with garlic spikes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2010, 12:04 AM »

We had the camera set up in a hole about 3 or 4 feet away from the shanty pointed at our holes so we could see the fish coming in behind us before they got to our holes so we would be ready for them to hit. We could see them through our holes taking the bait in their mouths and spitting it right back out so we had to be quick about setting the hook missed quite a few but got some of them.

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2010, 12:06 AM »
Not familiar with garlic spikes, what exactly are these?  Are the spikes raised on garlic flavored meat, or are the wood shavings soaked in a garlic solution?

Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2010, 12:09 AM »
Not familiar with garlic spikes, what exactly are these?  Are the spikes raised on garlic flavored meat, or are the wood shavings soaked in a garlic solution?

I do believe the wood shavings are soaked in a garlic solution

Offline Kinger53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2010, 12:19 AM »
Did you get them on the main lake or the channels?

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2010, 12:44 AM »
Did you get them on the main lake or the channels?
On the lake not the channels

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2010, 09:17 AM »
I also got these on the yellow ice fly tipped with garlic spikes

We could see them through our holes taking the bait in their mouths and spitting it right back out so we had to be quick about setting the hook missed quite a few but got some of them.

They were spitting out your awful tasting garlic soaked bait!!!   :roflmao: :roflmao:
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline woody350ep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2010, 04:01 PM »
nice group!

I haven't been out on simonton yet.  Were you on the big lake or the small side?? I am wondering what the ice is like out on the big side.  I've got a jonesin' for some perch.  Oh, and did you get those garlic spikes from Midway on Ash?  I got some garlic waxies from him and WHEW!!! Those are strong, but they worked a charm too.

Offline prosalmonking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2010, 04:16 PM »
yes im highly curious about the garlic spikes n waxies... so wat time has the bite been good on simonton...

Offline prosalmonking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2010, 12:33 PM »
i say simonton is done i prolly wouldnt waste much time goin there. heaton is about the same way too i spent all morning on simonton and heaton and didnt catch much at all... but this is jus my opinion

Offline woody350ep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2010, 01:56 PM »
i say simonton is done i prolly wouldnt waste much time goin there. heaton is about the same way too i spent all morning on simonton and heaton and didnt catch much at all... but this is jus my opinion

+1

I was out there with him and another buddy of mine and we didn't catch JACK.  a couple of bass, and a few dink gills and perch between the 3 of us.  Many were interested in the bait, but merely nibbles.  Certainly nothing to set the hook on.

Offline Dont Ice Fish Much

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2010, 04:53 PM »
Where can I get bait on a Sunday near Simonton or Heaton lakes?

Plan to fish on Jan 17, 2010

Offline Mrwiggler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " I'm going to miss her "
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2010, 05:16 PM »
Where can I get bait on a Sunday near Simonton or Heaton lakes?

Plan to fish on Jan 17, 2010

Only bait stores i know are Hall's in Union,Mi., and Midway Bait and Tackle, on county line rd(Ash Rd. ) at the St. Joe River. Hope this helps. By the way "WELCOME TO THE SHANTY"

Offline Dont Ice Fish Much

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2010, 05:23 PM »
Thank you much!

Offline waterfowler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2010, 07:27 PM »
is the bait shop in Elkhart Still open i think it is on toldeo road its the old skinny guy that never shuts up. They had a fire last year and he moved things to his house does this ring a bell? Last year he had scuds in there little shrimp and would like to get some but i can not find his number any where.

Offline woody350ep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2010, 10:44 PM »
is the bait shop in Elkhart Still open i think it is on toldeo road its the old skinny guy that never shuts up. They had a fire last year and he moved things to his house does this ring a bell? Last year he had scuds in there little shrimp and would like to get some but i can not find his number any where.

I think it was B&M, and yes he is open.  I am not sure of his hours, but I think he is one of those knock on the door and he will sell to you kind of guys.  I mean, half of it IS in his kitchen!! lol

Offline waterfowler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2010, 08:00 AM »
Yeah that is right before when they had it in that shop they had a decent selection of stuff. It was always nice fore me i lived about 3 min away.

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2010, 07:40 PM »
I didn't know he was still open.  The name of it is B&M and Roy is the guy who runs it.  I thought after the fire he was going to close up shop.

Offline prosalmonking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2010, 08:41 PM »
I didn't know he was still open.  The name of it is B&M and Roy is the guy who runs it.  I thought after the fire he was going to close up shop.

he did close up now theres an old guy guy who runs whitmans  at the same location as b&m and hes resonable on sum of his bait

Offline prosalmonking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2010, 08:44 PM »
+1

I was out there with him and another buddy of mine and we didn't catch JACK.  a couple of bass, and a few dink gills and perch between the 3 of us.  Many were interested in the bait, but merely nibbles.  Certainly nothing to set the hook on.

i was out there this morning til about 2 and me n a buddy caught and i caught a mess of 8 in gills and 1-2 lb bass... i had 2 nice 14 inch walleye on i got them up to the hole and and the hook would bend out.. i was usin a new jig its a fiskas and it had 2 hooks but r very flimsy.. but it was a decent day..

Offline prosalmonking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2010, 08:45 PM »

his number is 574 333 6102

Offline fishking2020

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 20, 2010, 02:49 PM »
im new to the simonton lake area, i have no idea where to ice fish on this lake lol or what to use...ive always used waxies but nothing else...any help on tactics, bait and whatnot would be appreciated.

Offline fishking2020

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 20, 2010, 02:52 PM »
o also im targeting perch and bluegill if possible thnx

Offline prosalmonking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 20, 2010, 03:12 PM »
o also im targeting perch and bluegill if possible thnx
[/quote

to me simonton is dead.. i havent gotten ne thing there last few times goin there.. i would say go to heaton lake ive been doin real good there. been catchin gills perch bass. but simonton go to the channels on cr 11... or go to the boat launch then walk left towards big simonton and fish the flat off the point..

Offline fishking2020

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 21, 2010, 03:28 PM »
ok thnx for the info...like i said im super new to the area so i know heatons close to simonton but wheres the place on it to get to it? is there a boat ramp or a public access?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.