The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Couple Hours of Crappies  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Couple Hours of Crappies
« on: Jan 02, 2012, 06:04 AM »
Tried kind of a new spot yesterday....different part of the lake. Not much ice. Tried a few holes on the way out to deeper water. Nuthin. 27’ water, BINGO. They were right on the bottom. Caught 3 just like that then they got a little finnicky. Kept 9 I could get fillets from. Fished this one hole for about an hour and a half the fish were there, lots of em - sometimes stacked - from the time I dropped the transducer til I pulled it. Just couldn’t get em to really bite. They kept lookin , goin up and down. Once in a while one would take, very lightly though. Any suggestion on how to get to hit better when they are mostly lookin? I tried 5 differnt lures and three colors.

"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Couple Hours of Crappies
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2012, 06:08 AM »
Drill Drill Drill Move Move Move Think small
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2012, 06:14 AM »
Drill Drill Drill Move Move Move Think small

No need to drill. Could almost just stomp! NOt much time or ice to move around mucjh. I figured I was on em....Maybe neededa new audience, Aye?  I tried small. Didn’t work. To bad this place is a little out of range for you guys. I was there all by myself. I’ve only seen one other guy out there ever. Saw someone elses holes out there once.
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2012, 07:54 AM »
Did you happen to try your new bugs out on those crappies?

And like bee says gotta be mobile

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:27 AM »
Did you happen to try your new bugs out on those crappies?

And like bee says gotta be mobile

I actually forgot the little buggers. Won’t next time. I had a couple perch eyes still on jigs from a couple days ago. I used pieces of minnow.

I guess I shoulda moved around a bit. Only had a couple hours total  to fish and there was some open water not far off. Plus there were a pile fish right under me. It was on the edge of a pretty good rock pile and drop off. More deep water was not in the safe zone yesterday.

Hopin to hookup with bee and MG39 next weekend, to the western. Maybe I can give it a good try, though, a half day during the week with full regalia of maggots, spikes and mousees. Should have some tungsten stuff by then too. If they stay all the way down in 27’ gotta get it down faster. Used to put a sinker below the jigs fishing for perch in deep water. Might try that if they stay down next time.

Offline Indie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:36 AM »
Drop down a very small minnow (or baitfish) on a glow big eye jig. The minnow will flash the jig and its usually too much too handle.

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:50 AM »
I actually forgot the little buggers. Won’t next time. I had a couple perch eyes still on jigs from a couple days ago. I used pieces of minnow.

I guess I shoulda moved around a bit. Only had a couple hours total  to fish and there was some open water not far off. Plus there were a pile fish right under me. It was on the edge of a pretty good rock pile and drop off. More deep water was not in the safe zone yesterday.

Hopin to hookup with bee and MG39 next weekend, to the western. Maybe I can give it a good try, though, a half day during the week with full regalia of maggots, spikes and mousees. Should have some tungsten stuff by then too. If they stay all the way down in 27’ gotta get it down faster. Used to put a sinker below the jigs fishing for perch in deep water. Might try that if they stay down next time.

If you happen to have the pleasure of fishing with MG and Bee bring your notebook. I suspect you will be spending most of your time that day with MG unless you wear your sneakers to stay up with Bee. I am not saying MG dont move but Bee never stops

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2012, 09:03 AM »
If you happen to have the pleasure of fishing with MG and Bee bring your notebook. I suspect you will be spending most of your time that day with MG unless you wear your sneakers to stay up with Bee. I am not saying MG dont move but Bee never stops

I fished with those guys a little,  a couple times. I’ll try to give bee a run for his money.  I’m just learnin crappies but I carch on fairly quickly. Maybe we can hook up some time:tipup:

Offline Wolley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2012, 09:44 AM »
When they are stacked up like that i like to put 3 or 4 holes like 8-10 ft apart. Then switch back and forth after you get a couple and they start to just look. And throw the little ones back down a hole a ways away not the one you are fishing in.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2012, 09:56 AM »
When they are stacked up like that i like to put 3 or 4 holes like 8-10 ft apart. Then switch back and forth after you get a couple and they start to just look. And throw the little ones back down a hole a ways away not the one you are fishing in.

That makes sense. It did seem like they got bored or thought something was up. I started carrying 4 or 5 jig rods with different rigs too. Like someone said “It’s easier to find a new audience than to tell a new joke.” Your help is much appreciated! Joe

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I have been on top of the world, and theres no ice
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2012, 09:57 AM »
Tried kind of a new spot yesterday....different part of the lake. Not much ice. Tried a few holes on the way out to deeper water. Nuthin. 27’ water, BINGO. They were right on the bottom. Caught 3 just like that then they got a little finnicky. Kept 9 I could get fillets from. Fished this one hole for about an hour and a half the fish were there, lots of em - sometimes stacked - from the time I dropped the transducer til I pulled it. Just couldn’t get em to really bite. They kept lookin , goin up and down. Once in a while one would take, very lightly though. Any suggestion on how to get to hit better when they are mostly lookin? I tried 5 differnt lures and three colors.

(Image removed from quote.)
What is the size limit of crappie up there? 9in here, and you are only allowed a bag of 25.

Offline Wolley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2012, 10:00 AM »
What is the size limit of crappie up there? 9in here, and you are only allowed a bag of 25.

NO size or bag limit.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2012, 10:03 AM »

Hey, I’m from Johnson City. Where you at? No size or bag limit on Crappies. People leave jack pech on the ice and there are no walleyes.....9” is about as small as you can get a fillet from anyway. How’s fishin down there these days. Might try to combine a Onieda trip with some river steelheads end of Feb or early March if the money/weather/fish report configuration works. 

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I have been on top of the world, and theres no ice
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2012, 10:06 AM »
Hey, I’m from Johnson City. Where you at? No size or bag limit on Crappies. People leave jack pech on the ice and there are no walleyes.....9” is about as small as you can get a fillet from anyway. How’s fishin down there these days. Might try to combine a Onieda trip with some river steelheads end of Feb or early March if the money/weather/fish report configuration works.
I'm from the Honeoye lake area in Western NY. Fishin isen't to good now cause of the weather, we are still with out ice.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2012, 10:09 AM »
I'm from the Honeoye lake area in Western NY. Fishin isen't to good now cause of the weather, we are still with out ice.

Yep, we have some ice on small water. There is a need to pay attention!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.