Author Topic: PB Perch  (Read 2753 times)

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
PB Perch
« on: Jan 17, 2011, 09:07 AM »
14" Cape Cod fish-- Caught @ 18' depth on Kodiak Perpetual Motion spoon w/ waxie. Released!

Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline gulp

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: PB Perch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2011, 09:10 AM »
That is one great fish. Glad to here that you let it live another day. If you are not going to mount it why kill a fish like that. great job.
Take a kid fishing,they make great pack mules.
Put the big ones back for another day eat the small ones.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2011, 09:40 AM »
Nice fish Townie.

If you kept it did it have eggs?

Man as an artist you have to love the golds and orange in that fish! I use an irridescent gold and add red to a bright yellow until I get a light orange in the airbrush color cup. When it goes on it comes out a nice rich golden yellow.  It's right on the money!
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2011, 02:57 PM »
Nice fish Townie.

If you kept it did it have eggs?

It almost looks like a male, huh? I released the 14" and a 13" yesterday-- got plenty of fillets in freezer  ;D

Offline Fillet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2011, 03:03 PM »
I'd say its a female. Sure looks like there are a couple eggs poking out. It does have a big head on it though, usually a sign of a male where i fish.

ICE REBEL

« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2011, 05:47 PM »
Nice fish i a got a 13.5" perch that is going on my wall. It weighted in at 1.5lbs.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2011, 08:13 PM »
It almost looks like a male, huh? I released the 14" and a 13" yesterday-- got plenty of fillets in freezer  ;D

It looks like a female that should have more developed ovaries by now. Perhaps an old fish that is not very fertile anymore. How fertile is this pond? If not very fertile as in a kettle pond perhaps the fish are slow growing and there isn't a lot of feed for significant ovary development.

Interestingly my perch that feed entirely on pellets do not have as large of ovary development as their wild counterparts, but they grow much faster. Something is missing in the artificial diet.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline fishon22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2011, 07:58 AM »
Wow, look at the colors on that. Great fish.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2011, 05:12 PM »
It looks like a female that should have more developed ovaries by now. Perhaps an old fish that is not very fertile anymore. How fertile is this pond? If not very fertile as in a kettle pond perhaps the fish are slow growing and there isn't a lot of feed for significant ovary development.

I believe it's a female too--  it just had a more slender look to it. The 13 was a thicker fish.

This fertile pond is less than 30 acres w/ tannic water. It is a trophy fishery for pumpkinseed sunfish also. Tons of jumbo perch water down at the cape... No gills tho'(?)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2011, 06:02 PM »

This fertile pond is less than 30 acres w/ tannic water. It is a trophy fishery for pumpkinseed sunfish also. Tons of jumbo perch water down at the cape... No gills tho'(?)

Wow I didn't know there were jumbo perch waters on the cape. Do the locals like them or do they shun them for trout like they do that bluegills?

I learned something else about the cape several years ago many people do not know. It has more Bobwhite quail per acre than anywhere in the country.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2011, 11:15 PM »
Wow I didn't know there were jumbo perch waters on the cape. Do the locals like them or do they shun them for trout like they do that bluegills?

It's a lightly fished area for freshwater angling w/ saltwater getting the most attention. Many, many ponds. I'm learning that it holds more trophy fish of varying species than we enjoy in NE part of state...

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2011, 03:54 AM »
WOW! What a beast! Nice fish townie.  Fin

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2011, 07:41 PM »
beautiful color awsome perch

Offline miked

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • jack perch
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2011, 08:50 PM »
Townie ,thats a nice perch ,and not to steal your thunder Taxi's fish is pretty darn healthy
[img]

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2011, 10:10 AM »
Townie ,thats a nice perch ,and not to steal your thunder Taxi's fish is pretty darn healthy

But Townie's fish is a wild caught fish from public waters while my fish came out of a private pond. I believe his fish is more of an achievement.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.