Author Topic: Best Jigs and tactics  (Read 4071 times)

Offline PondPerchPounder

• IceShanty Rookie
Best Jigs and tactics
« on: Feb 02, 2012, 09:22 AM »
I just started ice fishing a couple of years ago and have already become addicted to it! But up until now all I have used is set lines, and no jigging. I was just wondering your best jigs and pointers for a beginner like me. I have no  vexilar or any other electronic equipment so is it even worth jigging?? thanks for the advice, and good luck on the hard water the rest of the winter!
--If it was easy they would call it CATCHING not FISHING

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
Re: Best Jigs and tactics
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2012, 10:50 AM »
If you don't have electronics, I would start with a hali spoon http://www.halilures.com/prdf.php?lang=eng&tuoter=pilkit&show=Ice%20Spoons%20and%20Jigs , tip it with a small minnow or a couple spikes/maggots and fish it within a foot or two of the bottom.  Start in the weeds and work your way out to the basin of the lake.  Never know what you might run into doing this.

Offline wngnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2012, 01:55 PM »
IMHO jigging is by far the best way to catch perch. I have an aqua view but only use it when I'm fishing deep water. Most of the time and my first choice is to fish shallow water inside my shappell shanty. The shanty blocks the light out so I can see the fish and how they react to the jig. This would be a great way for you to start jigging, without electronics. Small jigs in shallow water and keep the bait moving until they come in , then just a twitch now and then. Good luck

Offline PondPerchPounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2012, 02:12 PM »
Do you jig the hali spoon aggressively?? and most of the ponds I am fishing the fish are not visible. The only pond that they are, the little ones are jumping out of the hole!
--If it was easy they would call it CATCHING not FISHING

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2012, 09:37 PM »
what I would do  to get the  jack perch  is fish shallow  in my  pop -up shanty   try  to get it as dark  as you can   & keep the jig moveing all the time & look into your holes  so you can see the jill perch bite & set the hook  try it you mite like it
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2012, 04:00 PM »
try pounding the bottom with a jig or spoon

let a spoon flutter away from sonar cone then drag it on bottom back into sonar cone
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2012, 05:01 PM »
Don't sweat it! Tons of fish were taken before electronics on the ice. I would go with 2 or 3 pound test and a marmooska or fiska under a tiny float. Jig it and let it rest for a few then jig some more. Tip it with a minnow, perch eye, wiggler or minnow head. I've takend lots of perch on pegged line poles and walking backwards! Sometimes simple out produces technology. The most important thing in this game is confidence and persistence in my opinion!
With that said......I still won't leave my house without my Vex! ;)
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline rayfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2012, 09:52 PM »
Hali tipped with 3 spikes or a perch eye. It gets down fast, stirs up the bottom, and attracts fish. Buy extra chains because the break easy!

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2012, 10:02 PM »
Jigmup is absolutly right. You'll catch 'em if you're persistent, but you'll catch more if you're persistent and you're using a flasher!
:icefish:

Offline Edm87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2012, 11:50 AM »
Start fishing the bottom and then work your way up. I have had good luck with jigging raps, halis, brobugs, and generic jigs tipped with bait.  If the fish are being finicky a spring bobber definitely helps to detect bites. Tipups work well too provided that smaller perch dont make a pest of themselves by constantly tripping flags though this seems to be more of a problem with windlass tipups.

Offline troutslayer97

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Alex Serdiouk
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2013, 02:52 PM »
Start on the bottom with a jig tipped with one or two waxies.  I really like Northland Bro Bugs.  Work your way up the water colum until you get one.  And dont stay at a hole for too long.  Stay there 10mins maximum then move on until you get into some fish.

Offline 66birdman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2013, 03:23 AM »
I use many differant jigs but my best success is an 1/8 oz kastmaster tipped with cutbait and I like to "slam" it on the bottom to kick up mud.  Seems to make the perch go into a frenzy.  I usually add a small jig 6" above that to snatch a double every once in a while

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2013, 11:12 PM »
Swimming baits like jigging raps or lindy/chubby darters tipped with spikes really help to draw fish into the area. Also have a chance to hook into something bigger. If they're too shy ti actually hit something like this throw a hali down, or bibbet, or even something as small as a teardrop or plain hook with spikes or an eye if legal.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.