Author Topic: Ice on Merritt  (Read 1989 times)

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice on Merritt
« on: Nov 14, 2012, 08:34 AM »
While helping some hunters retrieve a buck taken on the north bank of the Snake River Arm yesterday, Doug Mock encountered ice too thick for his boat to break through about 11/2 miles west of the Snake boat ramp.  I found this a bit surprising given that surface temps in the upper 40's and even lower 50's were noted on my last open water walleye chase about 10 days ago.  Could we be one hard cold snap away from fishable ice????

Offline HuskerPike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice on Merritt
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2012, 10:06 AM »
Wouldn't that be something. How are the small Sandhill lakes looking as far as ice? I think Sandbilly said he's been on the ice on Thanksgiving before.

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2012, 10:11 AM »
Mr Merritt, thank you again for hosting us last year!  Hopefully everyone here knows that you normally would not be open in February, and that you turned on the welcome light just for us.  And had a hookup ready for my camper ;D.  Merritt was a blast and I would love to have the west gtg there again this year.

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2012, 08:10 AM »
Thanks for your your kind words on last years GTG.  I thought it was great other than ice conditions on the refuge.  We would love to host the west GTG again this year.

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2012, 11:21 PM »
God willing John we'll be back and hopefully bigger than ever.
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

Offline tipups10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2012, 07:26 PM »
Mr Merritt, The first time I went to Merritt was this spring and it was great. My fishing partner returned in late summer and showed me the pictures he took, I was stunned by the water level. I took my nephews to the refuge last year a we had a good trip. We will return this year and I would like to take them to Merritt for a day on the ice. When we are at the refuge we are all about Pike, I would like to try panfish or whatever you might recommend at Merritt. Do you think the water levels will be up at the lake and do you have any recommendations about fishing the lake? thanks Jim

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2012, 11:54 PM »
Mr Merritt, Do you think the water levels will be up at the lake and do you have any recommendations about fishing the lake? thanks Jim

Not Mr Merritt but can assure you Merritt will be near normal winter water levels by ice up because it is very close to that now.

A few things about ice fishing Merritt. Most fish will be caught between 15 - 45'. A complete set up including rod, reel, line, and jig will help catch more fish especially crappie that feed up.  Heavy action rod, old 8lb. test with a moon glow teardrop won't fish well in deep water. Also hard to get a hook set with noodle rods at that depth. Try and match your set up to the conditions. I like a med action rod, 3 lb. test, heavy fishing jig like a fiska or marmooska for Merritt. Kastmasters and pimples also work well. Bring something like a bottom finder or old spark plug to knock jigs out of brush when snagged. A lot of people run minnow rods on Merritt. It's not my thing, but they are very effective on active fish if that is your style of fishing. Just be sure to have enough line on. Flasher or some kind of fish finder is probably one of the most important tools for Merritt.

Look for structure not unlike your reservoirs in the east. Brush, breaks, humps, points, channels will all hold fish, it's your job to figure out which ones.  ;)

dc

Offline tipups10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2012, 11:52 AM »
I have no problem with that. I plan on getting out there right after Xmas, I will let you know how we do. I'll try to get my nephews to show me how to put pics on here. thanks

Offline jordy1380

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2012, 05:20 PM »
That sounds great! I really wouldn't mind fishing Merrit once this year when we get some ice. It sounds like an awesome time!
Get Yo Fish On!

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2012, 01:10 PM »
Sandbilly is right on all counts.  We are getting very close to normal winter storage levels.  Depending on species targeted you will be fishing depths down to as deep as 50 feet so you may want to spool more line than you use at the Refuge lakes.

Offline tipups10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2012, 01:31 PM »
That is good to know, my Vex should be worth it's weight in gold fishing in 50 feet. I don't really use it much at the refuge. I might put the younger boys on panfish to keep them interested and try for Walleye with the older nephews. Is the bait shop (Trading Post) at the lake open in the winter? thanks Jim

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2012, 09:17 AM »
We keep the baitshop open most weekends and quite a few weekdays.  I have cabins here at winter rates as well.  Best to call ahead for bait shop hours as I try to get out fishing myself or spend some time away from work.  During the summer I work long hours pretty much 7 days a week so hopefully folks won't hold it against me if I bug out some in the winter.  Call the shop at (402) 376-3437 for availability or cabin reservations.

Offline rippin-lips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2012, 10:04 AM »
We keep the baitshop open most weekends and quite a few weekdays.  I have cabins here at winter rates as well.  Best to call ahead for bait shop hours as I try to get out fishing myself or spend some time away from work.  During the summer I work long hours pretty much 7 days a week so hopefully folks won't hold it against me if I bug out some in the winter.  Call the shop at (402) 376-3437 for availability or cabin reservations.

I sure wish we had somebody with your dedication in charge of the resort/ marina on the lake we go to here in central Nebraska. They are late to open the doors in the spring and they hurry to lock them up in the fall.
 If the  get together is held at Merritt this year we will be there for sure!
Scott Tincher
Clam Pro Staff. ~Power Stick~

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2012, 01:14 PM »
have you ever thought of becoming a sponsor?? We need a Nebraska sponsor!  ;D
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2012, 09:21 AM »
Maybe, what is involved/required?

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2012, 10:05 AM »
Maybe, what is involved/required?

ill have hoosier pm you....hes more familiar with all the requirements since hes a mod  ;D
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline tipups10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 01, 2012, 11:27 AM »
Good talking to you John and thanks for the info. It looks like we will not be staying at the lake this season but when we are there after Xmas we will stop and check out the cabins (some of us have never been there). If you are are around we will say Hi and take a quick look around the place. I might start making more year round trips to Merritt, I wish I didn't live so far away. Thanks again Jim.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.