Author Topic: Lite weight propane tanks.  (Read 5284 times)

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Re: Lite weight propane tanks.
« Reply #30 on: Oct 17, 2010, 06:30 PM »
With the price of metal these days, in 12 years they may all be composite.  If anything for the next 12 years your back will be thanking you. 

Actually I think that the service life of a metal tank is about 15 years.  I just filled one of my 20 lbs tanks and was told that this will be the last time due to its age. 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Oct 17, 2010, 07:26 PM »
 Lite Cylinders are designed to withstand a full range of outdoor temperatures from -40 degrees F to 140 degrees F.

The DOT and Transport Canada rate the cylinders for a life of 15 Years.

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Oct 17, 2010, 08:36 PM »
Well in 15 years I'll be 70, most likely won't be fishing by myself much anymore. Might as well just go ahead and pull the trigger and pick one up.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Oct 17, 2010, 08:59 PM »
all propane tanks require recert  and that is basically a visual inspection  and is done by the people that fill it
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Oct 17, 2010, 09:02 PM »
as I remember it I add  Id have to get into my books again if there is a question   heck Ive had a 100 lb tank with original date on the bottle of 1958 delivered to be by the gas co!   was amerigas to be exact       Id by far trust a fiberglass tank over the steel   esp where they put 4500lbs of air pressure into scott air packs and they are a composite fiberglass hoop wraps clynder
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Oct 17, 2010, 09:37 PM »
I have no problem with the fiberglass cylinders. In fact they're better in my opinion. Our country tends to take it's time when it's comes to NFPA codes. When they switch the fiberglass cylinders to recirt I'll get one. They're not as durable as steel but you would have to do something like smash the transparent fiberglass part with a hammer. It wont explode but the glass will start to delam and turn that spot milky. Then it isn't refillable. To set things strait it is 12 yrs from manufacture date.

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Oct 17, 2010, 10:33 PM »
From the Lite cylinder website;

Does a cylinder have to be recertified and if so how often?

Re-certification is every 5 years for the US. This consists of visual inspection of the outer casing and pressure testing of the cylinder. Other countries may have differing times. Check with us for information on re-certification for markets outside the US.

What is the life of the cylinder?

The DOT and Transport Canada rate the cylinders for a life of 15 Years.

http://www.litecylinder.com/faq/

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Oct 17, 2010, 10:47 PM »
Say's it is 30% lighter then steel..  I alway's thought propane tanks were made from aluminum...(Aluminum wont "spark")

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #38 on: Oct 18, 2010, 04:48 AM »
I alway's thought propane tanks were made from aluminum...(Aluminum wont "spark")

You can get aluminum tanks but they are expensive but as far as spark, I don't know about static electricity but aluminum conducts electricity very well so they can spark if they come in contact with a source like a battery no problem.
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Oct 20, 2010, 01:48 AM »
I was unaware they put a 5 yr recert on the fiberglass tanks, steel is good for 12 before you pay for a recert.  When they say a 30% savings in weight thats just the tank, the fuel weighs more when full. Take 30% off the weight of and empty tanks were talking 4-5 lbs.

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #40 on: Oct 20, 2010, 03:19 PM »
I think the noticible is not being noticed LOl. The big advantage of an eleven is the space taken up I can through mine in a five gallon bucket and set it in the sled the 20 just takes up too much room!! I have ran an eleven for 2 years now and if Its empty I go get it filled or dont fish. The old 20# stays where it belongs on the Grill!! I    can see the advantage of a fiberglass but it looks like ur only saving 3.5 lbs so not enough for the $80 difference from my steel 11.

Offline chris3303

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Oct 20, 2010, 03:40 PM »
Check into the clear view propane tanks. Nice to get a visual on how much your using and what you have left in store. Think they come in 10, 20, and 33. Here is the link.

http://www.lpgastanks.com/

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #42 on: Oct 20, 2010, 07:00 PM »
AAAAAAAAAAAAH!  $120 for the 10 pounder

I dont think so!
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #43 on: Oct 20, 2010, 07:10 PM »
I'm sure glad I have my old trusty steel 4# tank and the equipment to refill it.  8)

If a 20# tank can be had/purchased for $15.00 these days, why is it the dollar spread for a smaller tank almost immediately goes over $100.00!?!? Shmole' Hit!!  :o
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Oct 20, 2010, 09:20 PM »
They are right about the 15yr life span.  Our composite cylinders for our air packs are getting close to the 15 yr mark and we have to throw them away.  That is what the web site for these cylinders is saying form what i read.  I think I will stick to my steel tank. it may weigh more but can keep getting it recetr. for a few yrs more than the weight reduction can justify.
<br />

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.