Author Topic: Norweigan pike hook.  (Read 4269 times)

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
Norweigan pike hook.
« on: Feb 02, 2003, 09:14 PM »
Anyone try these on your tip- ups. If so how did you find they worked?

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
Re: Norweigan pike hook.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2003, 05:40 AM »
What the heck are they and where can you get info on them?
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2003, 07:14 PM »
I bought some at The Fishing Hole in Edmonton Alberta, Canada. Friend used these on his tip up. Worked OK as long as you kept a tight line when you had a pike on. Kind of like a triangle hook with one side of triangle missing, at the top is the eye & bottom of other side is the point of hook. Apparently you must be close to your tip up as the pike will spit the hook in approx 5 seconds.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2003, 04:48 PM »
Some guys I think also call them Swedish hooks.

Offline Fish247

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • So many fish, so little time!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2003, 07:39 PM »
All I can tell you about them is that they are NOT fish friendly.  If you plan on C&R don't use them.

Eric :'(
Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more serious than that!!

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re:Norweigan pike hook.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2004, 10:45 PM »
I am completely new to the site here, but I have a question if anyone can be so kind as to help me out.

I am trying to find a place online to order some large smelt hooks and have hit a dead end. I am trying to find the kind that look kinda like 3/4 of a triangle (does this description make any sense )
I think these are the ones you guys are talking about and they are the favorite amongst Pike icefishermen around here.Thank you for your help.
-Richard

Not enough ice or time... not necessarily in that order.

turbo

« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2004, 11:33 PM »
I do alot of pike fishing here ND. They work quite well and alot of guys use them. They are sold in most every bait shops here .They come in  three different sizes.I use the med. and large depending on what size smelt I can buy. Cabelas  carries them also.. When using slide thru top back of smelts tails thru inside body and have the point come out the back just behind the head.  I had a buddy putting them thru the mouth first and having the point come out top of the tail. He  had about ten flags and  lost them all ,so walked over to see what he was doing wrong when I saw him baiting the backwards.  Got him to change them around and he didnt lose any more. Said  his brother showed him how to bait them, he alot more fish now.Ive used these hooks for 35 years need to keep points sharp.

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2004, 11:54 PM »
What name does cabelas carry them unser? I have done an exhaustive search threw their hook selection online and the most recent catalog they sent me and have come up with nothing. Thank you for your help!
-Richard

Not enough ice or time... not necessarily in that order.

grumpymoe

« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2004, 07:28 AM »
used them exclusively a few years back, but with the province going barbless, it pretty much took the fun out of this great winter hook. you have to keep the tension on at all times, and unless they are hooked in the top of the mouth, you're pretty much done when you get them near the hole, especially a larger one!!!( i dont mind barbless, as it promotes catch and release with little  harm to the fish.) grump

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2004, 01:36 PM »
When most large pike take a large bait (herring or tullibee) they take it sideways, run with it for a bit, then spit it out and swallow it head first.  So when we used these hooks we'd let the fish take it out, stop, then when it started moving again we'd set the hook hard.  It takes real strong line and c&r is pretty doubtful since sometimes the hook'd come out right between the eyes.  I stopped doing that as rigging with trebles or just jigging was easier.
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline IceRaider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2013, 11:28 PM »
Has anyone tried Sure Set trebles for their pike rigs? Looks like they'd be effective.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2013, 05:35 AM »
Has anyone tried these for their pike rigs? VMC Sure Set treble hooks. An interesting hook design that looks like it'd be effective.
(Image removed from quote.)

I tried them after a buddy gave them to me. They work, nothing real special in my opinion. I did have better luck with this style as the Swedish hook the OP was talking about. I will still stick to either a Circle hook or the quick strike, depending on application needed.

WS

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2013, 02:52 PM »
Just some words of caution regarding the use of Swedish hooks. This style of hook has a long legacy here in Wisconsin with ardent followers. Studies have shown that pike hooked and released with this style of hook often die with a day or two. The problem comes when the hook, which most often pokes through the roof of the mouth, punctures the cranial cavity and fatally damages the fish. Even fish that seem to swim away strongly die around half the time.

With the advent of minimum size limits and C&R philosophies the continued use of pike/Swedish hooks is not recommended.

A good discussion was previously here on IceShanty: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=201118.0:

It appears the link to the supporting study is no longer active. I placed a copy on Scribd for those that may be interested: http://www.scribd.com/doc/123647914/Hooking-Mortality-of-Northern-Pike-Angled-through-the-Ice

Check page 772 for the table on mortality with pike hooks vs. quick strike rigs for a quick idea of the paper. The whole thing is not a bad read if you're so inclined.....

Again, I'm not trying to belittle anyone's opinion or be preachy. I just think that most of us do care about the fishery and to share a little education might be a good thing.

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2013, 04:53 PM »
Just some words of caution regarding the use of Swedish hooks. This style of hook has a long legacy here in Wisconsin with ardent followers. Studies have shown that pike hooked and released with this style of hook often die with a day or two. The problem comes when the hook, which most often pokes through the roof of the mouth, punctures the cranial cavity and fatally damages the fish. Even fish that seem to swim away strongly die around half the time.

With the advent of minimum size limits and C&R philosophies the continued use of pike/Swedish hooks is not recommended.

A good discussion was previously here on IceShanty: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=201118.0:

It appears the link to the supporting study is no longer active. I placed a copy on Scribd for those that may be interested: http://www.scribd.com/doc/123647914/Hooking-Mortality-of-Northern-Pike-Angled-through-the-Ice

Check page 772 for the table on mortality with pike hooks vs. quick strike rigs for a quick idea of the paper. the whole thing is not a bad read if you're so inclined.....

Again, I'm not trying to belittle anyone's opinion or be preachy. I just think that most of us do care about the fishery and to share a little education might be a good thing.

/m

Thanks for the information, very interesting.

WS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.