Author Topic: New to tip uping for Pike  (Read 1636 times)

gill_muncher

New to tip uping for Pike
« on: Jan 11, 2005, 05:30 PM »
I just found this site and thought that this would be a great place to find out how to rig tip ups and slammers from the hole down.  I would be willing to try anything you might suggest.  I have no idea what kind of leaders to use whether or not to use sinkers what types of hooks etc. etc. thanx ;)

Offline LoWbLaZaH

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: New to tip uping for Pike
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2005, 05:42 PM »
well you came to the right site. This place is a plethera of info. I just joined myself and can't believe how much I didn't know (or ever heard of)

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Re: New to tip uping for Pike
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2005, 08:15 PM »
I use tip ups all the time for pike, cats, and lakers. I like the HT line of tip ups best. The HT Polartherm is an orange round tip up that covers the hole. The HT Polar is a basic plastic tip up that is lubed with antifreezing grease for smooth revolving of the spool. I also like the HT Windlass, which has a fan that uses the wind to jig the bait a little bit.
The best line to rig tip ups with is HT Vinyl Coated Tip up line. This line doesn't freeze up and is very manageable. Then tie on a barrel swivel and attach about a 3 - 5 foot leader. For pike, some people say you can't use anything but wire on the end. It is true that wire is about the only thing they can't bite off, but I have found that using a heavy P - Line fluorocarbon leader keeps bite offs to a rare minimum. Berkley fireline is also quite hard for pike to bite though, though they can do it. The best wire is the thin sevenstrand.
If fishing for walleyes or other fish, thinner fluorocarbon, about 6 pound, is perfect.
The best rig for a hook set up is a the quick strike rig. That is two small trebles, one sliding on the line, and one tied to the end. For 4 - 6 inch baits, #8 trebles are best. Smaller minnows for walleyes call for #10's or 12's. Great big deadbaits for pike and lakers, in the 10 - 12" range, call for #4 hooks. Use small hooks, and when the fish pulls the flag, make sure he has the bait in his mouth by seeing the spool turning rapidly. Then set the hook in a small but sharp action.
We have a lot of experts on this site. Bob D is probably the foremost.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.