Author Topic: Pike not bitting????  (Read 4339 times)

iceman145

Pike not bitting????
« on: Dec 23, 2004, 05:43 PM »
ok i was out fishing at my favorite pike spot and nothing not a single flag i asked a guy that was also fishing if he had anything he said he thinks they arnt bitting because there gums swell up ounce a year or something like that just woundering if anyone has herd of this?

grumpymoe

Re: Pike not bitting????
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2004, 06:40 PM »
not at this time of the year....generally see the teeth getting a bit loosey around mid-february.....Grump....

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2004, 07:19 PM »
That is a myth. Usually told by those not catching fish. ;)

Seriously, it's not true. They don't lose thier teeth all at once, nor do their gums swell up, or soft teeth, etc. It could have been a pressure system, moon phase effecting the fish, or maybe even the fish were not even there for some reason. Sometimes the fish are just not hungry. I've had pike swim up and look at my bait ( saw them on the underwater camera) and just swim away. Some days they are more line shy and won't touch a line with a steel leader.

I try to keep my bait as natural as possible. Florocarbon leaders, no "extras" (spinners, beads, etc) on the line. Did you know if your line/hook combo is rigged so the bait is tilted head down the bait won't swim? It did not know this until I got my camera. Adjust the bait so it's level and it swims like crazy. Little things can make a big difference on days where the fish are neutral or negative.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2004, 07:47 PM »
What state/region do you fish in iceman?

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

grumpymoe

« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2004, 08:05 PM »
Bob D....not what i said....."teeth get a bit loosey"...Grump ;D

iceman145

« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2004, 01:45 PM »
Mackdaddy,
in michigan around the lansing area

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2004, 04:44 PM »
They just must not be active right now. That will prolly change. Bob D is a pike master on this site, he should point you in the right direction.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2004, 10:28 AM »
When they are less active I go with dead bait on the bottom. Sometimes this is what they prefer. Also try different bait types & sizes - suckers, smelt, shiners, bluegills, perch, etc.
There are times when they won't go for anything.

:tipup:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2004, 12:29 PM »
dead bait is a good idea when they aren't very active.

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2005, 09:54 AM »
What was the day like that day? Was it calm and sunny or overcast windy etc..... I have found that the most beautiful days to go out fishing are always the worst days to fish. I dont know why but on those nice sunny warm calm days produce no fish :P And on some of the worst days to be out there are usually the best for fishing.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2005, 10:57 AM »
Brian,
Are you fishing this weekend? I'll be out on Sunday. If you are in the area, stop by. I'll be looking for a place for the shanty this year.......If the water is clear enough to see with the camera.

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2005, 06:18 PM »
Brian,
Are you fishing this weekend? I'll be out on Sunday. If you are in the area, stop by. I'll be looking for a place for the shanty this year.......If the water is clear enough to see with the camera.
I went out today to punch some holes and see what was happenin under there. I went out at st. albans bay but there was some ice i didnt like. Lots of weird looking spots and some soft spots. I also went up to miss. bay and punched some holes and did some jiggin. Didnt catch anything and the water was milky.The ice was making some terrible noises and movin a hell of alot. I do intend heading out tomarrow too. Maybe i will see you. I was almost considering heading out over to kelley bay since i have never fished it and the water may be a little better. Dont know yet.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2005, 07:14 PM »
I was thinking about Kelly bay myself. Maybe I'll see you there...You know what my sled looks like. If you see me, feel free to come on over and fish.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2005, 07:51 PM »
well, i'm going piking again in tough fishing colorado tomorrow. Hopefully I catch at least 1 like I did last time! I should've gotten 5 last time, but 4 broke me off. I was using 2 lb. test, and was fishing a shrimpo tipped w/ waxworm for perch. I had tipups out for pike. Low and behold the pike liked the shrimpo more than the tipups. I have 6 lb. test now, hopefully the perch don't mind and I can land a few more pike!
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline dirtface

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2005, 08:20 PM »
ive fished with the ice packed and was only 1 to catch anything. i think it's my secret but here it is..sardines 1can should do 5 traps. so bring a few cans for the day. let me no if it helps i really thik it's the chum. also make sure there in oil not mustard.pike have a keen sense of smell and this is how they find there bait. ive caught 5 over 15#lbs in the last 2 yrs. all swam away. i dont need the pins to no what i caught. thtats 5 pike in mass.

Upton

« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2005, 09:03 AM »
ive fished with the ice packed and was only 1 to catch anything. i think it's my secret but here it is..sardines 1can should do 5 traps. so bring a few cans for the day. let me no if it helps i really thik it's the chum. also make sure there in oil not mustard.pike have a keen sense of smell and this is how they find there bait. ive caught 5 over 15#lbs in the last 2 yrs. all swam away. i dont need the pins to no what i caught. thtats 5 pike in mass.
5 over 15.  Not too bad.  Where in MA? :tipup:

Offline dirtface

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2005, 06:23 PM »
it's to busy as it is.you know what i mean

Offline PeRcHsLaYeR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I LOVE PERCH!!!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2005, 09:27 AM »
i heard this from someone and told them it was full of crap but hey he wanted 2 beleive it so wut ever.
you can call me PeRcHsLaYeR......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.