Author Topic: how to catch a northern through the ice?  (Read 4644 times)

Offline chrisN

• Team IceShanty Regular
how to catch a northern through the ice?
« on: Nov 27, 2004, 10:55 PM »
i have never gone for pike through the ice before but i am hoping to get out this winter.  i will be using a tip up likely.  what would be the best bait to use and what size of hook.  line? depth? how deep should the bait be?
Team Manitoba

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: how to catch a northern through the ice?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2004, 11:42 AM »
I am no expert but I will tell you what I learned last winter. 
First where are you from?  If near western NY go to Conesus Lake.  The pike there are in the shallows, which I think?? is normal.... sometimes deeper, but from 4-8 feet normally.  I met a guy who turned my thinking around!!!!!   If the pike are 10# average then used 10-25 lb line or so.. whatever you are comfy with smaller is better.  If course this would be a leader  off the main line. I used 15 line, might try 10# line this year for them. the man told me use mono not steel leaders.   Use a 14 treble hook, and a large minnow hooked in dorsal fin and put it right above the weeds.... try diff depths, but that seems to be the best at Conesus.  The fish will bite run stop swallow and run.  Wait until after the swallow and the line will be in the tooth free corner of the mouth and then pull it in. when you get it to the hole be careful, when it thrashes around let go the the line, the hook is in its belly so won't come out, and if its teeth touch that line it will be gone!!!!!   

Ask Tipup or the many others on here, but Tipup is the Northern king!!!!!!!

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2004, 12:19 PM »
Chris,
Here is a link to an article I wrote. Every place is a little different, but this should help you get started. Let me know if you have any questions.

Bob

http://www.fishingvermont.net/northern_pike_through_the_ice.htm

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2004, 09:01 PM »
Where do you live Chris? Here in Colorado pike fishing is extremely difficult through the ice, either because of low numbers (which used to be high before I started ice piking), or some freak environmental change like altitude affecting oxygen. If you don't live in Colorado or higher altitudes (above 3500 feet) you will probably have a lot of action if your pike numbers are decent. Listen to Bob D and others on this site, they know their stuff on ice pike.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline chrisN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2004, 10:06 PM »
i live in manitoba. 
Team Manitoba

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2004, 05:51 PM »
Hit the good waters and you should knock them dead.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline chrisN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2004, 04:46 PM »
thanks guys.  some really helpful tips there!  cant wait till i get out for some big northerns.
Team Manitoba

Offline David_the_fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Happy Jigging
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2004, 12:00 AM »
hey man i think pike fishing is the easiest out of all fishing bcuz all u need is a tip-up and smelts (thats what i like to use) and a sharp hook.

P.S. when u get a bit on a tip-up wait a bit and when the reel stops spining a bit then set the hook the th pike can the hook set better.

happy jigging (tip-ups lol) ::)

Offline Tip-Up

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2004, 09:59 AM »
All good info mentioned here. One thing I didn't see though is to ALWAYS set the hook when the fish is taking out line. That way you know the fish is swimmimg away from you  so when you do set the hook it will be pulled around and into the corner of the fish's mouth. If you try to set the hook when the fish is stationary it could be facing you and it is easier to pull the bait straight out of it's mouth without getting a good set.

Here in Manitoba just head east. Any of the Whiteshell lakes have good pike (size & numbers) in them.

camo_fish

« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2004, 11:39 AM »
All good info mentioned here. One thing I didn't see though is to ALWAYS set the hook when the fish is taking out line. That way you know the fish is swimmimg away from you  so when you do set the hook it will be pulled around and into the corner of the fish's mouth. If you try to set the hook when the fish is stationary it could be facing you and it is easier to pull the bait straight out of it's mouth without getting a good set.
Excellent tip, tip-up, I always like to see the spool turning when I set the hook on anything. Like you said, you know the fish has is in it's mouth and is running away, nothing like a big jerk back when you set that hook.  ;D

Offline dirtface

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2005, 08:32 PM »
yeah hit'em on the run. dont believe those fools who tell you well they run once with it stop determine if the bait is in head first or not turn em around if there tail first then run again. hit em  on the run if you got a fish on by the time you get to the flag a the spinners buzzing whackl . but what i learned the hard way once was you have to be your built in drag with the big boys if they thrash at the hole  keep a little tension as you let him go  gotta make sure he's nose up coming thru the thick ice

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2005, 12:01 AM »
sometimes the pike will trigger the tipup, then stop. You will pick up the line, and feel him sitting there as a bunch of added weight. wait a long time because I have had them just sit there with the food in there mouth for well over 3 minutes before moving. They will almost always move again, though. set the hook then. Hope this helps.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline EscapeIsNever

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2005, 02:41 PM »
good tips here!  thanks

NEF!

Brian

Poolshark

« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2005, 05:00 PM »
What is a good way to use big bait,  but not have to tighten your drag way down? I have heard something about using a clotheshanger as a temporary line holder, and when the fish hits its free of any drag. But  i dont know the details. Any help??

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2005, 11:24 PM »
How big of a bait are you talking Poolshark? I use sucker and chub minnows up to about 8 inches and have never had to do anything but pinch some of their tail off. If you do this, it does not hurt them and it makes it so they cant swim with enough power to trip your flag.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Poolshark

« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2005, 10:12 AM »
How big of a bait are you talking Poolshark? I use sucker and chub minnows up to about 8 inches and have never had to do anything but pinch some of their tail off. If you do this, it does not hurt them and it makes it so they cant swim with enough power to trip your flag.
That sounds like a good idea as well. The bait Im using is about the same as yours. I use to thump once on the head with a sounder. and it helped sometimes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.