Author Topic: Location in Different Types Of Reservoirs  (Read 1596 times)

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Location in Different Types Of Reservoirs
« on: Nov 01, 2004, 08:20 PM »
I have three lakes I fish for pike here in the Western Part of th State.
The best one is a small shallow resevoir not much bigger than a large pond. It has a large mass of shallow, weed filled water. The deepest water is about 16 feet, and there are two areas of this. One is near the dam, the other is nearer the really shallow areas. Do you think I should fish the deeper water near the dam or stay in the deeper area and on the edge of the dropoff near the weedy shallows?
Another lake is pretty much weed free. It is a deep, rocky moderately stained perch filled lake. Most of the perch are located on the flats, either shallow or deep. One area I had in mind is the only such area in the lake. It's an inlet arm that is a flat and then gradually hits a drop off. In this area, soft bottom turns to hard bottom right near a major main lake point. Is this the best area? What other possibilities?
On lake number three, low water has kept most of the water out of the major inlet coves. It's a pretty plain reservoir with not much structure or shallow, panfish attracting cover when it's low like this. If it's higher, I know where the creek channels in the bays are. It has a good population of panfish like the other two lakes. Where should I fish these lakes? I am thinking location is key, but a reminder is that the pike in this lakes in winter seem to be very inactive, almost dormant. A sucessful day is a pike or two of any size. Why do they act this way, I don't know?

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Location in Different Types Of Reservoirs
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2004, 11:36 AM »
Pike are ambush predators they love weed edges and humps anything that allows them to see fish coming then smash it i would drill a series of holes around the drop off starting shallow and work all the way to deeper water if you think it's a likely spot drill like 20 thirty holes all around the area around the drop off so you can bounce around with your vex.I like to drill my holes all in one shot to get it out of the way and so i don't spook em later.I get good numbers of  pike with a jig and either live or salted frozen minnow.i even like to use a perch rattlin' rap to draw em in.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.