Author Topic: Large Pike Range  (Read 1844 times)

Offline TheSylvanSpinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can i claim the tackle shop owner as a dependent?
Large Pike Range
« on: Jan 11, 2010, 04:21 PM »
Does anyone have an info on the territory or range that large pike tend to stay in?

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
Re: Large Pike Range
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2010, 06:15 PM »
I always do good in or around a weed bed, with deep water near by.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline TheSylvanSpinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can i claim the tackle shop owner as a dependent?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2010, 09:00 AM »
I always do good in or around a weed bed, with deep water near by.

I realize that, what i want to know is if you see a large pike ice fishing, what would that pikes range of travel be? 1/2 Mile radius etc?

Offline Keweenaw Angler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2010, 10:07 AM »
It all depends on the lake, its forage fish, season, and.... Generic answer I know, but it's true. The larger the fish the larger its range. The Michigan DNR tagged some fish in my area. When you mail in a tag the give you a report on the fish that was tagged. Info like length, weight, and location it was tagged. I've caught fish that were tagged over 10 miles from where I caught it. The best way to consistently catch big pike is to know the lake and its forage. There is a lake north of were I live that only has pike and perch in it and towards the end of ice season the best lures are jigs that look like dragon fly nymphs. The perch and smelt catch the smaller pike and the jigs catch the bigger pike. Just know your lake and do not be afraid to try new things.

Offline crossfire8snopro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2010, 05:45 PM »
i am ice fishing this weekend and am wondering what would be a good jig for this early in the season? any one know?

Offline stephensonswille

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:49 PM »
I dnt jig for them to often but usualy use a swedish pimple or similar spoon

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.