Author Topic: High Pressure System the Struggle for Trout  (Read 400 times)

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
High Pressure System the Struggle for Trout
« on: Jan 04, 2024, 09:39 PM »
eature=shared

How to be successful Ice Fishing Catching Stocked Rainbow Trout and Brook Trout even when the weather changes to a high pressure system causing fish to stop biting and changing behavior.

DAY BREAK ICE FISHING!

How often do you miss the bite window without knowing?

Chances are, if you're an ice fisherman who shows up late, leaves early, and often skunked.... this message is for you!!!

Thursday evening, a snow storm blew through the interior of BC. The bite was ON, and fish were coming through steady even into the dark.  If you want to see check out the video of that evening at this link:   

• ICE FISHING Brook Trout Night Fishing...    "ICE FISHING Brook Trout Night Fishing Snow Storm"

14 hours later, the storm was gone, the sky was clear and blue, the temps had dropped to -8C, and the breeze was minimal at best.

These conditions tell me that a storm front had left, followed by a high pressure system. By far, my least favorite weather pattern to fish as it just seems to kill the bite. It's beautiful to be outside and fishing, but if you want some action, it isn't very conducive to luck.

Despite the weather, I learned something. I showed up to the lake in the dim light an hour before sunrise. As I unpacked the Jeep, the light really increased.

I got out to a spot and popped a few holes. Right away, I was marking fish and catching some small brook trout.

I moved a little deeper and hooked 4 rainbows and landed this beauty fat bow around 19 inches long.

Then it just died! Deadsville. The sky became brighter, so I moved to the shady shoreline and hooked a few more brookies and saw too large fish.

Then they were gone. By 9 a.m., it was pretty much a no fish zone.

I moved into 10 to 15 feet of water when I saw 3 or 4 more disinterested fish swim by, but that was it.

Sunrise was 7:40 am... so it was a short window of maybe 2 hours. It's super easy to miss and be left thinking it's just poor fishing.

Seems to me that during these undesirable weather conditions for fishing, they may still bite, but the window of opportunity becomes even more narrow.

So hit the lake early, set up, and get lucky! Otherwise, it might be a long, slow, mid day of fishing if you sleep in this winter.

Rod pictured is the Circle Tackle Full Circle Series - Walleye XFast 34"

Check out the "Flappers" by Certified Lucky Tackle an excellent plastic that the trout love to absolutely inhale.

I then moved to the second lake for the afternoon. It was about 2 pm when I drilled my holes and dropped down.  Right away there was a flurry of action as a few active brook trout were right below my hole.  I hooked one and lost it.  Then hooked a nice 16 inch brook trout.  After that the bite and fish just disappeared.  I stayed into the evening without any rekindling of an evening bite.
THE FISHING DOCTORS ADVENTURES https://www.youtube.com/user/Brandonkop

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
Re: High Pressure System the Struggle for Trout
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2024, 08:19 PM »
Nice brookies and 'bows. Still waiting for safe ice on the big lakes in the Adirondacks. Warm weather sucks!
Master Laker taker.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.