Author Topic: Ice35 upgrade  (Read 1859 times)

Offline GP

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice35 upgrade
« on: Feb 11, 2019, 10:30 AM »
I have been using the Humminbird Ice35 for the past 2 seasons, and have had good results from it. I am looking to pick up a 2nd flasher and curious what would be an upgrade to the ice series. I noticed the local shop is reducing the price on the Marcun M3/M5, and they seem like a solid unit. Would this be a good 2nd unit,and does anyone use one?
I am open to other suggestions but only interested in traditional style  flasher units. 
Many thanks

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Ice35 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2019, 12:26 PM »
 i had the hb ice-55 flasher and didn't like it so i went with a digital sonar and am very glad i don't have to watch a flasher anymore. i needed much more control and the 55 couldn't deliver what i was looking for.
the 35 is the bottom of the barrel, so just about anything is an improvement. should be some sales on the stuff with the poor winter conditions we're having again.
our group has all made the switch to digital or starting with digital sonars. no more flashers.

look at top of the line flashers if you want another flasher. lx5 with lithium shuttle is top of the line marcum. i don't pay attention to flashers anymore. that are not many to pick from that are top of the line. i think three is all i can think of and i had the top of the line hb and i would not recommend it. that leaves 2 more to check out. check what out of warranty repair costs are. the hb ice-55 is 100$ more than marcum. marcum is 80$ no idea what vex is. marcum gives new battery, bag, transducer and motor and what ever is wrong with the unit.

https://www.humminbird.com/support/faqs/RepairFees

https://shop.marcumtech.com/product/80-00-service-charge/

not sure what keeps you from not wanting a digital sonar, but so you know, you can get a digital unit that draws the same wheel pattern you are used to watching now.
look for better target separation, dual beam stronger wattage, an arm that holds the transducer up high in the water and centered to make landing fish easier. any transducer only needs the air removed under it to work right, so it needs to be an inch or less is all and how i use mine all of the time. the floats don't allow that and using nothing and letting it hang under the ice plate is the worst way to use them. easy to get snagged and frozen into the ice.

for myself, i wanted more charts to be displayed at any given time, so i went with marcum lx7 and upgraded that into the lx9 with the camera so it uses the same display for sonar and has 6 charts to select up to 4 to view at once. the graph is so important to have after having one and using it. the line drawn in non graph form are ok, but don't explain as much as to what is going on nor as well. the lx6 does the same things, but has a slightly higher target separation of 3/4 inch. the hb ice series are 2 inch. the lx7/9 is 1/2 inch.
you can have it include the wheel display you are accustom to viewing now. i think some other brands are offering that view also.

Offline GP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2019, 02:03 PM »
Many thanks for the suggestions 3300
I have nothing against digital, it's just overkill for my needs. I don't own a boat so have no need to use one in the summer.
Ideally,  I would like to purchase the Lx7, but they are priced over $1000 here in Canada.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2019, 02:12 PM »
they go on sale here in the states often. i don't use on in my kayak and even tho i have one in my boat i don't use it because i cast for fish and the sonar isn't showing me the shore line.

the lx6 is cheaper yet and would be a nice upgrade and you can use the wheel chart for a display. the ice-55 costs about what the lx6 costs.
good place to price compare.
https://www.marinegeneral.com/product-category/ice-fishing/ice-electronics/marcum-ice-accessories/

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2019, 02:48 PM »
i love the graph feature that has a vertical flasher on the side. displays the history so you can be sure that it was a fish marked on the graph rather than having to guess if you thought you saw a line on the flasher or not. and from what i have come across you dont have to spend more to get one of those units as compared to the Vex/Marcum flashers
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2019, 11:13 AM »
Beings you're in the market for an upgrade why not just go all out for a Helix? The features make mechanical flashers obsolete and the price is very similar if you're smart about it. If you decide to buy a helix you can save a bunch of money by purchasing the open water unit and ice transducer separately. Helix 5 open water unit (CHIRP + GPS) is $280 and the XI-9-1521 CHIRP ice ducer is $80 (when in stock). Add a $20 battery and a $20 genz box and you have an ice fishing and open water unit for $400 total. The helix 5 ice package retails for $450 and doesn't include the open water transducer. The features of a comparably priced Vex or Marcum don't compare and the Helix has GPS on top of it all. No brainer

Offline GP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2019, 03:45 PM »
Beings you're in the market for an upgrade why not just go all out for a Helix? The features make mechanical flashers obsolete and the price is very similar if you're smart about it. If you decide to buy a helix you can save a bunch of money by purchasing the open water unit and ice transducer separately. Helix 5 open water unit (CHIRP + GPS) is $280 and the XI-9-1521 CHIRP ice ducer is $80 (when in stock). Add a $20 battery and a $20 genz box and you have an ice fishing and open water unit for $400 total. The helix 5 ice package retails for $450 and doesn't include the open water transducer. The features of a comparably priced Vex or Marcum don't compare and the Helix has GPS on top of it all. No brainer

I am intrigued by the Helix 5. But is this a practical choice if using it strictly for ice fishing?  I understand the benefits of using it as a all season sonar, but would this outperform a traditional flasher?

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2019, 06:31 PM »
The CHIRP sonar is superior to anything in a traditional flasher. The zoom is much better than anything you can find on a traditional flasher. Having either the circular flasher view, the graph style sonar or a combination of both allows you to choose which ever you like better. These advantages aren't exclusive to just the helix units, lowrance and especially Garmin have excellent graphs with similar features and high performance CHIRP sonar. Mechanical flashers just can't match the performance per dollar.

I run a helix 7 and helix 5 as a back up. I could NEVER settle for a mechanical flasher after using a helix for 3 years.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2019, 06:51 PM »
You say you are only interested in traditional flashers, but I will have to jump on the bandwagon and also suggest a graph.  I used an Ice 55 for several years and one year (just for the heck of it) bought an ice ducer for my portable Lowrance HDS 5 graph, just to try it out.  After using the graph and being able to see the history of where the fish where, I dumped the Ice 55.  I would suggest using the Ice 35 for the spare machine and buying something like the bird graphs that were suggested for your go-to unit.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.