New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Chaumont / Henderson BS Thread  (Read 74257 times)

Offline gitthegaff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Fish on"
Re: Chaumont / Henderson BS Thread
« Reply #180 on: Feb 15, 2017, 04:12 AM »
FYI, Rochester has a Coast Guard station  on the Genesee River at the  Lake that is active year round; and an Auxillary that teaches boat safety in the winter to the public.

This is something that should be utilized , I no that oswego, near Wrights Landing also has Coast Guard support!
Paul

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #181 on: Feb 15, 2017, 06:06 AM »
Saw this trolling youtube...

https://youtu.be/E7LWNBA3kEw

Offline JSONICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #182 on: Feb 15, 2017, 06:50 AM »
Back some years ago there was actually a coast guard station on Galloo island. Great place to fish for those of you that have never been there.

If you do try it, just be sure you have the right boat as it can get very rough quickly..

I remember as a kid when they closed it down my father wasn't too happy...We fished for years out of Henderson and having the coast guard at Galloo was reassuring..

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #184 on: Feb 15, 2017, 07:35 AM »
  http://www.wwnytv.com/story/34503283/ti-basketball-player-barred-from-game-after-ice-rescue 
That's rough.
I know I wouldn't want to be the coach or player.
I understand the position of the coach. He was probably just following protocol.
Hopefully the issue forces a needed change in that schools policy without the coach being crucified on social media.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #185 on: Feb 15, 2017, 07:36 AM »
without the coach being crucified on social media.

too late on that one

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #186 on: Feb 15, 2017, 07:37 AM »
I was planning to fish the bay this weekend...I was wondering how the ice is ? & what machine I should bring?
     Thanks Guys   
images.jpeg

Offline Fishin-Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #187 on: Feb 15, 2017, 07:42 AM »
I am taking this as a learning experience.  It would not occur to most of us that several days of wind from the west over the open water would pile water on the east end of the lake. When the west wind subsides a current would occur in the ice covered bays as the water level attempts to equalize and the current would drag the ice with it.  I have never ice fished big water like Lake Ontario so I will store this occurrence in my memory for future reference.  I know wind can sift the ice on Oneida lake and open pressure cracks so wide that you cannot cross them. I have been there done that.

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #188 on: Feb 15, 2017, 07:49 AM »
I had heard you guys had some problems up there with the ice shifting & some guys went tru.. How are things now better?
images.jpeg

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #189 on: Feb 15, 2017, 08:19 AM »
The beach was only 4 inches last week out a ways could hear the ice popping in my way in at 2 oclock warm week lots of wind main ice should be good but the shore is the weakest link

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #190 on: Feb 15, 2017, 10:38 AM »
I was planning to fish the bay this weekend...I was wondering how the ice is ? & what machine I should bring?
     Thanks Guys   
Sounds like an airboat would be handy.  You could make a fortune on rides back in and salvaged goods................. ..

Offline perryt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #191 on: Feb 16, 2017, 05:17 AM »
Click on the Chaumont Hardware report on the top of this page .................. daily updates on ice conditions and bite  ;) ;D
ice fishing rules

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #192 on: Feb 16, 2017, 06:23 AM »
  http://www.wwnytv.com/story/34503283/ti-basketball-player-barred-from-game-after-ice-rescue 

The school system needs a complete overhaul. I love the policy if a "child" misses the bus their parents must call and drive them to the game. What a joke. That dude doesn't look like any child I know and he can drive himself. If I had kids I would home school. Public school's and their policy's are a complete joke! I also can't stand paying school taxes to a failing school system and I don't have any kids.   OK just read the local news and Rochester city school teachers are wearing pins Friday that say black lives matter in schools. Lol city schools are 10% white. Absolute joke! Indoctrination for the youngsters. How about a lesson on wearing a belt so you can get a job after you get kicked out or quit.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #193 on: Feb 16, 2017, 07:35 AM »
The only ones that know what happened, are the guys that were there. The rest of you are just speculating. I was there. I can agree with esox assessment of the situation except for the wind. It was calm out there. Common sense tells me that this type of thing is always possible when there is open water and the bay is not completely locked up. Now I talked to a lot of locals about this during and after the incident. This has happened before, but not to this extent, where miles of ice happened to be sucked out that fast. In hindsight, I did notice a strong rip current in the morning, and maybe since the fish were on fire it didn't register as enough of a warning of what was to come. I learned that it is possible to for current alone to suck that much ice out. I will fish in those conditions again, but I'll be packed a lot lighter, and a lot more in tune to the previous day's weather, the existing current and wind direction, and always ready to move at a moments notice.

Just a couple more  times I've witnessed things going sideways up here in a big hurry...

The incident in 2012 and,

In either late December or early January of 2006 or 2007 (can't remember the exact year) Chaumont bay was covered with the most beautiful 7-8 inches of black ice a person could ever ask for, the bay was locked up tight clear out to the slot between Pillar Point and Point Peninsula.  Solid black ice, not crap ice that had been broken , refrozen and broken again..Lake O was still wide open..

40-50 mph winds came outta the southwest..the bay level surged 4-5 feet in a few short hours, funneling through that slot and turned that beautiful black ice into something you'd fit in a glass with a couple shots of good bourbon.  Absolutely brutal winds for approximately 12-18 hours.

I was fishing a spot over off the head of Three Mile Point facing the main bay and the ice was heaving a good foot or more as I was sitting on my bucket.

After the winds died out, the bay level dropped again and took all those ice cubes with it, except for a couple of the very sheltered spots on the bay.

There was a member on here who posted pics from around this time last year on FB, he'd set up his phone to record video and set it down on the ice facing the open water and you could see this wave action under the ice raising a good 2 feet.

It happens on this body of water, a lot.  Just be aware and understand what can (and probably will) happen out here.

Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline builtright716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #194 on: Feb 16, 2017, 07:48 AM »
Yes, I remember those pics from Snagger (Shane) last year. I saw it on a much smaller scale this year, ice raising an inch or two at most. I will be a lot more aware of the telltale signs the next time I'm out there for sure

Offline PerchTHumb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #195 on: Feb 16, 2017, 07:51 AM »
Thanks essox, your post were very educational to me, I was out there when it happened and was lucky to get back to safe ice. I've been fishing my whole life and been fishing up there for years and i can honestly say that I was confident with the conditions that morning but now knowing what you told us it makes perfect since and I will defenitly pay more attention to wind directions. Thanks for your helpful post.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #196 on: Feb 16, 2017, 09:27 AM »
   Kind of embarrassing that Chamount bay HAD a rescue boat but hadn't bothered to train anyone on it yet.

Wow.  Really?

The incident on the ice was February 11th.

Chaumont VFD purchased the boat and took delivery of it February 6th.

How dare they not train anybody to proficiency in a matter of FOUR days time?

"Embarrassing", indeed. 

Offline Fishin-Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #197 on: Feb 16, 2017, 09:40 AM »
With regard to the Lake level raising from the wind, I remember an article in National Geographic's about the Great Lakes piling up water at one end or the other from the wind.  It said once the wind stopped or change direction the water would oscillate in the lake.  So you could have a current from one direction, then no current and then current from the opposite direction.  Check out the link below.

http://www.great-lakes.net/teach/envt/levels/lev_2.html

Offline Nateicefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #198 on: Feb 16, 2017, 10:07 AM »
That's definitely what happened at least the currents. I was out there for 3 days. Spent two nights out there. Current and wind was coming into the bay that night. In the morning it was pushing out into the lake. With a light east wind. Never noticed if the lake level raised. It broke apart so fast. I was lucky enough to get my snowmobile off in time. The ice extended out at least a mile past where we were fishing. The ice was all jam ice froze back together. And 10" thick. I've been fishing over 20 years on tons of different lakes. Never seen it happen. Happens to erie and simcoe. Which obviously chaumont. We all need to take this as a lesson to pay close attention to ice conditions and learn from them. It can change quickly. Be safe guys

Offline Sandman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Loud pipes save lives
« Reply #199 on: Feb 16, 2017, 11:40 AM »
Another informative post by the Slayer in an effort to clarify questions/concerns....well done...thanks
De Opresso Liber
5th Special Forces Airborne..Mobil Launch Team 5
Vietnam

Offline [email protected]

• IceShanty Rookie
Chaumote bay
« Reply #200 on: Feb 16, 2017, 11:57 AM »
I was at chaumont bay last Saturday the fishing was slow can anyone tell me if it has picked up

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #201 on: Feb 16, 2017, 01:19 PM »
Another informative post by the Slayer in an effort to clarify questions/concerns....well done...thanks
Holy crap sandman! Haven't seen you in a long time.

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #202 on: Feb 16, 2017, 01:28 PM »
Holy crap sandman! Haven't seen you in a long time.

He don't want anyone eyeballin him ..... lol
Don't Stand Outside too long......

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #203 on: Feb 16, 2017, 01:31 PM »
 ;D
He got that way from fishing long , I mean gawker pond.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #204 on: Feb 16, 2017, 02:28 PM »
Heard somebody else just got pulled outta Chaumont....

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #206 on: Feb 16, 2017, 04:06 PM »
Anyone know where on the bay that guy went through?
It's hard to believe this keeps happening because there was a foot of ice on Johnsons a couple days ago.

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Chaumote bay
« Reply #207 on: Feb 16, 2017, 04:07 PM »
I was at chaumont bay last Saturday the fishing was slow can anyone tell me if it has picked up
Sounds like they're picking one up here and there about every day.........

Offline d_balm24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #208 on: Feb 16, 2017, 04:20 PM »
Anyone know where on the bay that guy went through?
It's hard to believe this keeps happening because there was a foot of ice on Johnsons a couple days ago.
Its NOT a foot thick near shore. I had 4-6" near shore this weekend until you got to the main slab which is 10-14". I heard the point off Duck Bay is where they went in. My guess is prolly not far off shore on the THINNER ice. Maybe one of the locals know more though

Offline d_balm24

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Chaumote bay
« Reply #209 on: Feb 16, 2017, 04:23 PM »
Johnson Shoal was a good bite this weekend. Read the last few pages if you plan on going. SPUD SPUD SPUD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.