Author Topic: splitshot  (Read 1120 times)

Offline icezombie

• Team IceShanty Regular
splitshot
« on: Jan 11, 2009, 09:18 AM »
how for up fom your jig do you put your splitshot

Offline brawler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: splitshot
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2009, 09:32 AM »
I don't use a splitshot with any of my jigs.  If I'm fishing deep and don't want to wait for the jig to get down, I put on something that is the same color only heavier.  I have seen this done with ice flies by high tide and I think he was 8-10inches above his fly.  Hope this helps.

Offline Derslayer1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • EAT   SLEEP   FISH
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2009, 09:33 AM »
12 inches, red hook, walleyes

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2009, 09:36 AM »
I use a split shot most of the time, they are the tiny BB size split shot.  I put it about 6 inches above the jig.   I commonly use size 16 and 18 jigs so the extra weight is needed to get the jig back down there fast, if one were using a larger size 12 jig then you can probably get away with not using a split shot.

Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2009, 09:36 AM »
I don't use a splitshot with any of my jigs.  If I'm fishing deep and don't want to wait for the jig to get down, I put on something that is the same color only heavier.  I have seen this done with ice flies by high tide and I think he was 8-10inches above his fly.  Hope this helps.

I like 18" or more, which gives the minnow (if that's what your using) a chance to swim larger circles, and for piece of mind (so they don't see it) if I have to use one... like Brawler, it's a last resort...
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline icezombie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2009, 10:14 AM »
appreciate the input, havent used splitshot in the past. needed to get um down quicker.
thanks

Offline bgriffis17

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2009, 10:29 AM »
i use a barrel swivel as small as i can get with an 18" leader and a salmon egg hook , then i use bb shot above the swivel just as much to let the minnow pull the float down keep it as neutral as you can.
fishing is hard can I go home now

Offline Gill Gitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good friends -- Great times
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2009, 11:37 AM »
i always use one about 1 ft. above my jig because i use a smaller jig and when your hole hopping for suspended fish that are on the move the faster you can get down there the more fish you will catch

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2009, 11:48 AM »
when in water more than 20ft ill sometimes place splits up a foot. in clear waters ill go as much as three ft. in less than 15 ft i go the other way. i want it light as can be. most times ill have a small hairy fly, baited up the line 2-3ft. this allows for your jig to do some pretty soft subtle moves down there.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2009, 12:33 PM »
i can't remember the size but if you have a fly fishing shop you can get some very small TINY tungsten or lead split shots. when i fish a #16 fly deep i add one about 8 inches up. it also help sort out the dinks as the dinks will often follow the split shot up  rapidly. larger ones stay on the fly.

also for gills and crappie you can run 2 jigs and get the same effect of a split shot but run a bright larger jig up 8-10" and a smaller darker jig below.... its funny how the prefference will change.
also wks with a plain hook with a minni under a larger rocker jig also.
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.