Author Topic: Earthworms  (Read 497 times)

Offline hammerhandle315

• IceShanty Rookie
Earthworms
« on: Jan 17, 2024, 01:52 PM »
Anyone ever try earthworms through the ice….i never have but saw some guys doing well w tippups on trout…would think perch and bluegill?

Offline Hillsfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Earthworms
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2024, 10:05 PM »
Occasionally I have some nightcrawlers left over from the summer and have used them during the winter.  Mostly I have used them on trout and have done well. With panfish I typically go with waxworms but would imagine that if you used a small piece, panfish would chow them down.   

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2024, 07:41 AM »
I tried some small pieces of nigthcrawler for perch last season and it worked pretty well. As well as or better than plastics and waxworms that day.

Offline hammerhandle315

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2024, 02:54 PM »
Thanks….heading to kinzua this weekend…ill give em a try

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2024, 03:17 PM »
I use them for Trouts when travelling to backwoods ponds... or for perch. its a lot easier to transport than fatheads. I keep them in my coat pocket to keep em thawed out.
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2024, 03:20 PM »
I keep a compost pile of leaves and just collect them when I need them. i will just push back the frozen layer and they are there in the leaves ... fat and happy waiting to do a jiggy dance  ;) ;D
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.