Author Topic: Somebody shot the fat lady  (Read 3818 times)

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Somebody shot the fat lady
« on: Apr 03, 2021, 12:56 PM »
Still lots of winter left around here.  The 10 day forecast is calling for lows in the negative double digits next week and highs only in the low teens.  At this rate the lake probably won’t break up until June which is pretty typical in a normal year which this is.  I must say it is nice having a normal winter once again but I’m pretty sick of shoveling snow which is supposed to start any minute now.  It’s been almost ten years since I last went ice fishing in the middle of May.  I hope everyone else is having a good spring now bring on the halibut.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Somebody shot the fat lady
« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2021, 01:07 PM »
Nice, I'd love to be able to ice fish that long.

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2021, 01:00 AM »
Yep, we've got at least three more weeks, and the burbot are hot right now!

Ted

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2021, 05:16 AM »
The fat lady already toured around here. It was almost 60 yesterday and we fired up the BBQ and had nice spring day.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2021, 07:56 AM »
We had the end of the season a month ago, got the boat out and the walleye are on the move and eating.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2021, 08:30 AM »
Still lots of winter left around here.  The 10 day forecast is calling for lows in the negative double digits next week and highs only in the low teens.  At this rate the lake probably won’t break up until June which is pretty typical in a normal year which this is.  I must say it is nice having a normal winter once again but I’m pretty sick of shoveling snow which is supposed to start any minute now.  It’s been almost ten years since I last went ice fishing in the middle of May.  I hope everyone else is having a good spring now bring on the halibut.

Your '2 months of bad sleddin' not starting for a while?
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2021, 09:00 AM »
The fat lady almost wore her thong yesterday it was so warm!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2021, 07:16 PM »
The fat lady almost wore her thong yesterday it was so warm!
Please don't show us any pictures  :o

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Apr 05, 2021, 08:20 PM »
Still 4 plus feet of ice here. Temps are warmer though.
Highs in the teens and lows down to 0F for the next week and then lows in the mid 20's the following week.

Online zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Apr 06, 2021, 06:45 AM »
81° here yesterday. I went out in the boat chasing catfish on the river after work.  ;D

The water is about 55° now, so they should really start turning on in the next couple weeks as it gets up into the 60s.

Supposed to be 80° today, so I'll probably make a repeat trip today. Probably target suckers and redhorse though, since the water is still a bit cool for catfish.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Apr 06, 2021, 09:21 AM »
Temperature up at the lake right now is reading -17 so we are still making ice. 

Online zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Apr 06, 2021, 12:58 PM »
Ice out was the last week of February way down here, which is fairly "average" for the area, if there is such a thing. Ice seasons are wildly variable this far south, but they are generally between mid-January and the end of February.

I did make it out the last week of December this season, which was the first time I've had fishable December ice locally in the 14 years I've been living at my place.

It was spotty through January, then we were solid through most of February. After that it went from 10" of ice to open water in about 4 days and has been open water since. I was out in the boat on a 70° day about a week after my last ice fishing outing  :roflmao:

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Apr 07, 2021, 08:12 PM »
Wow! , when I retire if I make it that long, I know where head for late season good ice!

Offline HunterK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Apr 08, 2021, 10:32 AM »
heading out ice fishing tomorrow here in Wyoming still

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Apr 08, 2021, 12:39 PM »
I woke up to ice out this morning, it is about a month early.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Apr 10, 2021, 01:01 PM »
We broke a bunch of records this morning.  Here at the house it got down to -2 which is pretty cold for this time of year and I’m not sure if that’s a record or not.  The temps up at the lake this morning hit -36 which means that out were I have my shack and cabin it got down to at least -40.  That I know broke some records.  We should start seeing more normal temps creeping in tomorrow and on Monday with highs reaching into the +40’s during the day and mid 20’s at night.  This would be considered a normal winter for us and we haven’t had one of those in over ten years and it’s amazing how complacent you get when breakup happens in the middle of March instead of at the beginning of May.   Time to start shooting the bow and getting ready for the bears to start waking up.  I’ve already seen reports of some brown bears showing up down on the Kenai, it usually takes the blackies until about mid May to start showing up.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Apr 11, 2021, 07:21 AM »
I woke up to ice out this morning, it is about a month early.

Yesterday afternoon (two days after ice-out) a friend and I took the boat fishing, neither of us had ever seen a time that the ice was gone by the end of walleye season (April 15th), this would be a first for us.  As you can see from the outfit my friend is wearing, it is not short sleeve shirt weather yet, temperatures were just above freezing and there is still ice covering part of the lake.  We found fish right away, probably threw back 20-30 smaller walleye and sauger, but ended up bringing back some keeper walleye and a bonus 20 crappie, it was a nice transition from ice to water, a good day for anytime in the season.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Apr 11, 2021, 07:41 PM »
it usually takes the blacks until about mid May to start showing up.

We don't call them that anymore. It's considered racist.
We now say African American Bears or Bears of Color.
Don't want you to get cancelled.
;)

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Apr 11, 2021, 09:15 PM »
I went ahead and edited it let me know if that’s better.

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Apr 12, 2021, 09:42 PM »
Freezer got unplugged today! 

-30(-22F) at the lake Saturday night and it's +8(45F) with no end in sight! 

Get your burbs while you can!

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Apr 16, 2021, 06:49 AM »
My home lake is now completely ice free.  I got the plane in the water yesterday and took it for a spin to blow the spider webs out, it has been marooned in the hangar since October.  Flying over the area I could see the Lake Trout lakes (deep water) were still iced over, the walleye lakes are all mostly open, it won't be long until there is open water everywhere.

Pictured is a shot of Eagle lake (a 40 mile long lake in my area), showing some ice that is still hanging on, it's days are numbered.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Apr 16, 2021, 12:43 PM »
funny thing. I almost slipped and busted my butt on an icy deck this morning and it was snowing.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Apr 16, 2021, 09:05 PM »
Talked to my folks in Ohio and they said they had snow in the forecast and I said your welcome.  I think we are finally over the hump here and melting fast, I should be able to see my yard in another week or two hopefully.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.