Author Topic: Hali Jigs  (Read 9510 times)

Offline bassin329

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hali Jigs
« on: Sep 17, 2010, 02:02 PM »
Never used them before. Is the chain for short strikes, like a stinger on a spinner bait? Do you ever tip it with bait? I'm looking for lots of info this year. I think I may be getting a twitch in my left eye, sound familiar? :-) ;)2
Respect the land and water you tread on, it's not just yours.

Offline icerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If your bobbers gone put on another one
Re: Hali Jigs
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2010, 02:16 PM »
Can you post a picture of jigs please. :)

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2010, 02:30 PM »
I put one on the beginning of last season and never took it off..Put a spike or mousie on the hook.. Caught all kinds of fish on it... ;D ;D ;D

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline lhprop1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2010, 03:29 PM »
The chain (called a "dropper") puts distance between the lure and the bait and is very effective for finnicky fish.  You can put a dropper on just about any lure with a split ring by removing the hook and split ring and using a length of mono.  

You can also use a clip that lets you change them out pretty quick.  I got a bunch of these last year and love them.  http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/cart/products.php/keys/stringease/page/1/id/2321/name/StringeaseFastachMultiUseClip

How would you play today if you knew you couldn\'t play tomorrow?

Offline fishon22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2010, 03:34 PM »
I want a hali jig sooo bad! ive heard so many good things about them. Where can u get them??? does Dicks sportings good or Gander mountain sell them? or only online.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 17, 2010, 03:37 PM »
We tip them with frozen shrimp when jigging smelt. They are killer jigs!

Offline icerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If your bobbers gone put on another one
« Reply #6 on: Sep 17, 2010, 03:46 PM »
sounds to me your starting to get the ITCH... bassin, it is soooooo contagious.  ;D :o  Thanks for posting the pictures  raquetedacker, I haven't seen one before, and would like to purchase some.  :thumbsup: :bow:

Offline lhprop1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2010, 03:54 PM »
I want a hali jig sooo bad! ive heard so many good things about them. Where can u get them??? does Dicks sportings good or Gander mountain sell them? or only online.

Most places around here that sell ice fishing gear have them.  They should be out in the stores in late October.  Fish307 sells a similar version http://www.fish307.com/halijigs.aspx They're good, but they fish a lot heavier than the Hali droppers.  Different jigs for different situations.

If you can't find the actual Hali droppers, you can modify any jig with a split ring into a dropper rig.  Demon Jigging Spoons are my favorite to rig as droppers.  http://www.customjigsandspins.com/icefishing/hardspoons/demon_spoon.html   
How would you play today if you knew you couldn\'t play tomorrow?

Offline oyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 17, 2010, 03:57 PM »
Hali's are one of the best multi species jigs you can find.  Like  Raquettedacker, I have one rod that is set up with just a green Hali, and I have probably caught at least one of every species of fish in my area on it.  They are really good for deeper panfish too, they are heavy so you can get down there fast, and with a small hook and a spike, you can still get the finicky fish to bite.  I don't know about stores online, but every sporting goods store around here has them.

Good luck, ice is only 10 weeks away!!

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #9 on: Sep 17, 2010, 05:05 PM »
Agreed, Oyler. I only use hali's and genz worms. I don't even buy new hali's anymore, just chain-hooks. A good tip is to pinch the barb on the hali hook. It's a fragile hook and gets stuck good in the top of a perch's mouth. If you don't pinch the barb you'll break alot of hooks in a good day. Keep the tension on and they won't get off...... :tipup:

I forgot to add that pinching the barb also makes a cleaner hole thru your maggot so it still wiggles.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #10 on: Sep 17, 2010, 07:03 PM »
I believe the body of the lure is kinda like a flasher, the chain is like a dropper line to present the bait? The chain gives great action and lesser resistance when the fish sucks it in? Either way it is an awesome lure.

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 17, 2010, 07:43 PM »
Things that make hali's the ultimate lure:

1. Enable small presentation.

2. Get down deep fast before the school moves.

3. Show up very well on sonar.

I tip mine with maggots. :tipup:

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Sep 17, 2010, 08:04 PM »
Things that make hali's the ultimate lure:

1. Enable small presentation.

2. Get down deep fast before the school moves.

3. Show up very well on sonar.

I tip mine with maggots. :tipup:

Yup
        Yup
        Yup

Add  Yup..... ;D ;D ;D

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #13 on: Sep 17, 2010, 08:06 PM »
hali's are an awesome lure,so far the only problem i'v had is when the fish are biting super lite. sometimes its hard to feel them when they bite and just sit there.don't get me wrong though i have more hali's then any other lures

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #14 on: Sep 17, 2010, 08:25 PM »
For panfish I always hit the ice with a rod rigged with a Hali(perch glow), the other a diamond jig(red glow).
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Sep 17, 2010, 08:28 PM »
Lots on this site..Extra chains to...

http://www.bizrate.com/fishing-gear/hali-jig/

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 17, 2010, 08:52 PM »
learned to use them last year  for smelt threw the ice first time what a ball best new bait i bought last year

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Sep 17, 2010, 09:57 PM »
The Hali is a perch killer, tie a ice fly 12" above the spoon. Big perch ignore the spoon and hit the fly.  Bait the Hali with spikes, no bait on the fly. Black body with a red tail is my go to fly. Found a Hali knock off chain/hook and use it on a small  #2 Pimple with good sucess. Another alternative is a No Knot Fas Snap, use mono and tie your own dropper rig.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #18 on: Sep 17, 2010, 10:01 PM »
Raquettedacker, I was there when you bought your Hali's.......you picked some great colors....nice to see they worked !

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 17, 2010, 10:50 PM »
I emailed another site i frequently buy from about when their 2010 2011 stocks come in. I wont name the site as they arent a sponsor but i can pm you when they email me back if you want and let you know when they expect their restock to come in for 25mm and 35mm sizes.

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Sep 17, 2010, 10:53 PM »
While we have some Jig guys in here, I was curious if anyone can reccomend some jigs for me to buy. I have a VERY small collection (like 3 jigs). Can anyone recommend some that I should get and what size to look for? i always buy the wrong sizes online lol

I would like ones that are good for Trout and some good for Bass.

Also would like to find something that Pike like to munch on.

Also was curious about getting ones that are good to catch smelt.

Knowing what size to get is important cause that something i dont know and always make mistakes on.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Sep 18, 2010, 04:52 AM »
Raquettedacker, I was there when you bought your Hali's.......you picked some great colors....nice to see they worked !

Yes you were Topher, and I hope I see you there again this year so I can shake your hand and say hi... ;D

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Sep 18, 2010, 02:16 PM »
The Hali is a perch killer, tie a ice fly 12" above the spoon. Big perch ignore the spoon and hit the fly.  Bait the Hali with spikes, no bait on the fly. Black body with a red tail is my go to fly. Found a Hali knock off chain/hook and use it on a small  #2 Pimple with good sucess. Another alternative is a No Knot Fas Snap, use mono and tie your own dropper rig.

Great tip! I will try it for sure! :tipup:

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Sep 18, 2010, 03:54 PM »
That would be great J Osmo, thank you.

np, i expect to hear back on monday. weekends they usually dont reply to things.

Offline iceice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Sep 19, 2010, 02:06 PM »
THANKS GUYS I WILL PUT THEM TO THE TEST THIS YEAR.

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 16, 2010, 05:53 PM »
Anyone have color preferences for Hali? I was thinking of going the classic silver.

http://www.nilsmaster.com/web2008_010.htm

I found a place that has some in stock, no gold though or id go for the gold so to say.

Going to get a 25mm 35mm and 50mm. I figure the smaller size is good for the small fish that i can try to jig up to catch bigger fish on my traps and the 35/50 can do well to snag some larger fish when im bored.

Offline Badback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Oct 16, 2010, 06:28 PM »
I have many Hali Jigs in the tackle box and I find that the red and silver appear to be the best

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Oct 16, 2010, 06:32 PM »
I have many Hali Jigs in the tackle box and I find that the red and silver appear to be the best

i wish they had more options. I want the silver/red combo but they dont have it. alot of glow colors but i dont want the glow ones. Have you tried the copper/flouro red? i think that one is a nice looking color.

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Oct 16, 2010, 06:41 PM »
bought 1 silver 50mm 1 silver 35mm and 1 copper/flouro red 25mm (they had no silver or gold or copper only color 25mm).

Should be good for this season now for jigs.

Offline Badback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Oct 16, 2010, 06:47 PM »
You could try painting some red on your silver hook...I have around 20 Hali Jigs in the tackle box in a variety colors because some days it takes changing them out many times until they start biting....Yes I have copper/flouro red also....

David

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.