Author Topic: The Slack Bite?  (Read 5186 times)

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
The Slack Bite?
« on: Dec 14, 2004, 11:08 AM »
Have you guys found that most of the larger perch give you a slack bite? That is, you feel nothing but you actually see your line get slack. I have found that the larger perch tend to do this.I get fired up when that happens!
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
Re: The Slack Bite?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2004, 11:41 AM »
Definitely! Also, when drop shotting under a bobber, the bobber usually doesn't go under, it just moves or dances. Yup, a beautiful thing to see

Pete Lewis

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2004, 12:17 PM »
This happens when a fish inhales the lure. It often happens for walleyes with me and even more often with lake trout. They just suck the lure in gently.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Paradice

« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2004, 03:52 PM »
i've seen that many times myself.  The bobber will lay on it's side, and I'll wait, a second or two later, that bobber will take off for the side of the hole and start creeping down the side of the hole, boy oh boy!!!  I love seeing that bobber go down. 

Paradice

« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2004, 04:24 PM »
now that you bring that up, you can't be more right.  when the crappies have been biting for me, it's still be a light and slow bite, and often they'll barely take it.  Sad thing is it happens too often and the crappie will swallow the hook. 

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2004, 07:01 PM »
Crappies do it to me pretty often too. Any fish that sucks a bait in rather than actually hitting it seems to produce the slack line. Rainbow trout, brown trout, and pike seem to be the hardest hitters. Walleyes usually barely tap it or the line goes slack. Crappies, perch, bass, and mackinaw seem to be the ones who will cause slack line on the strike.

Tyler

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2004, 07:45 PM »
The last week icefishing I caught a 3 lb. rainbow that somehow moved the line up when he hit. I seen him rush it from about 5 feet under my lure like slipbob said.

As for the "slack bite" any fish with a big mouth seems to hit that way in the winter, as do lake trout. This guy at taylor reservoir had a aquaview and we watched how wide the lake trout opened his mouth and how slowly he took the bait. I suppose that's how the other fish take it to.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Icecycle Eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2004, 08:33 PM »
Lake george is good for slack bites when i jig with a hali
i notice a lot of time i don't feel them hit but on the up swing of the rod the fish is on
I Live To Fish

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2004, 10:39 PM »
 Eddie you couldnt be more right, so many times on Lake George i have seen my line come up or move a different way but never feel it, just lift and there is a fish on  ;D
Jason

Offline firsticerules

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get out be happy!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2004, 05:44 PM »
i never really noticed that but this year when i go out i will deffinatly watch for it.

FORGET MILK.......GOT ICE?

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2004, 12:43 PM »
well, I was perch fishing yesterday. Caught over 50 perch along with some other fish (including 2 slab crappie!) I noticed that the smaller the perch was, the harder he hit, even though they all hit relatively light.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2004, 05:51 PM »
Crappie and Perch, big ones most of the time. Thankful for electronics and homemade ultralite spring bobbers that move up when there is no weight coming from the jig itself.  Weird, fragile but can make the difference.

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2004, 06:06 PM »
I've noticed that crappies do this alot. I use an UL rod, and it has an extremely soft tip, so there's always a slight bend when jigging. All of a sudden, the tip springs up...FISH ON! Sometimes it takes me a second to realize what's going on....now that I got my Vex, I'll know everytime ;D

-Zach

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2005, 04:23 PM »
Rising up and chewing and the dreaded stripping,pesky little critters,love 'em.
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Offline IWALKONWATER

• IceShanty Rookie
  • LEAVE SOME FOR "SEED"
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2005, 10:30 AM »
REMEMBER THE ABSENCE OF WEIGHT IS A GOOD INDICATION THAT THERE MAYBE A SLAMMER JUST SUCKING THE CHOCOLATE OFF THE BAIT. IF YOU CAN'T FEEL THE JIG SET THE HOOK!!!!
I WOULD RATHER SWING AND MISS A COUPLE OF TIMES THEN STRIKE OUT!
IF YOU WANT TO SEE A GOOD EXAMPLE OF THIS GO TO "HALIE'S AND DROPPERS IN THIS SECTION AND ON PAGE TWO THERE ARE A COUPLE OF VIDEO CLIPS AND IT SHOWS PERCH INHALING THE BAIT AND THEN SPITTING IT OUT WITH OUT THE GUY ON THE ICE EVEN KNOWING. I USED IT TO GIVE A VISUAL TO MY TWO SONS AGE 12/10 SO THEY COULD SEE WHAT I WAS TRYING TO EXPLAIN. GREAT LEARNING TOOL HERE FOR ALL ESP. KIDS.
Check out my you tube channel IWALKOUTDOORS. tHANKS

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2005, 09:18 PM »
Perch often the bite is a tiny tap, but the slack bite is often. With crappie, the slack bite is even more common, with a tap often coming before the slack, but not always. Compaired to crappie, perch seem to be much more difficult to hook too.

Tyler

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2005, 11:28 PM »
Iwalkonwater is right. I look for that slack more than the nibble.Nibblers are usually dinks and slackers are usually hawgs! I like that saying :D
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2005, 09:54 AM »
WVBOY,

You are correct there. It seems the bigger the perch or crappie, or lake trout around here, the lighter the bite. You don't feel anything because they have a bigger mouth and they just suck it in. The tappers are usually smaller.

Tyler

bigdave1018

« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2005, 12:37 PM »
i use 6 lb or 4 lb golden stren with a dropper leader. the pecker perch will tap tap at it. the larger ones , i just can barely see the line move or twitch. the stren is kinky enough so that on a drop shot rig , i can use as little or more line slack but im a line watcher anyways and paying attention will get you more bites .hope this helps.

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2005, 09:37 PM »
I think they do tend to bite on the fall also. It is a RUSH too :o

Offline JAZII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NO FLASHER? NO FISH? NO KIDDING?
« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2005, 11:19 PM »
All I have to say about the slack bite:
 1. fish are feeding up - this is very common in lakes with free roaming baitfish
 2. these fish could be vary active fish - need to watch an under water camera
 3. fish with lure higher off the bottom
Most of my perch fishing is done on lakes with alewives in them. We fish our lures as high as 15 feet off the bottom in 40-55 feet of water, when they are active. Sometimes your lure never makes it down to that dept when they are very active.
I have learned many things by watching the camera. I have been on the ice and done very well by fishing my lures high off the bottom, when other guys without electronics (flasher or camera) have done poorly.
JAZII

2007 1ST Perch 15 5/16"   2007 1ST Brown Trout 28 3/8"
2008 1ST BlueGill 10 7/8"
2009 2ND Perch 15"
2010 2ND Perch 16 1/8"

Offline king fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2005, 03:05 PM »
i have seen that very often all they r doing is sucking in the bait slowly it gets me fired but i was able to figur out a skill let the  line loose for 2 secs more then set the hook they should still be there  :o

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2005, 06:14 PM »
The slack bite is different for perch and crappie.  Big perch will hover in front of a
jig about 2" to 4'' away and stare at your bait to see if it's edible.  They will then
flare their gills which acts like a tiny vacuum cleaner. They will suck it in and either spit it right back out to taste it or hold on creating the slack bite.  Crappie have eyes on their head and pick up a bait and move upward.  This also creates a slack in the line and causes the spring or bobber to move upward.  Sometimes the bobber pops right out of the hole.  The difference seems to be that crappie hit and run while
perch move off slower.

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.