Author Topic: U. P. Michigan- Splake and eyes  (Read 2375 times)

Offline True North

• IceShanty Rookie
U. P. Michigan- Splake and eyes
« on: Dec 19, 2019, 02:37 AM »
The last couple of years my son has taken up hard water fishing with me and we have been blessed with a nasty cold blast in November this year that made ice. We have been fishing the lakes around Alpena and doing okay but we both want something a little bigger then perch and 15 -20” eyes.
I have a pretty good break from New Years on for 8 days and thinking about taking a road trip to the north side of the U.P for Splake, eyes and bigger fish in general.
Question is this:
Is there ice in the bay(s) such as Keweenaw
Where do I go for a good chance for Splake? We have a hub and a Otter sled we pull while on foot so anything a mile in and out is fair game on good ice.
Lodging recommendations + bait shop also greatly appreciated.

Enjoy your life while you’re here, because you’re dead a powerful long time (Twain)

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: U. P. Michigan- Splake and eyes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2019, 06:23 AM »
Post this in the Michigan UP section, there are threads there to look at as well

Offline True North

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2019, 07:59 AM »
 :icefish: Thank you for the heads up, kinda a FNG at this site and still trying to figure it out.
Is there a way to move the post or should I just repost, if I don’t find what I’m looking for?
Enjoy your life while you’re here, because you’re dead a powerful long time (Twain)

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I once killed a gopher with a stick"
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2019, 08:03 AM »
We've all been the FNG's

FWIW Higgins lake has lake trout and isn't too far of a drive. Everything should be within walking distance. I've not done it but I've been thinking about trying.

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2019, 08:16 AM »
No biggie, here is the most recent link about splake

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=372795.0

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2019, 10:30 PM »
Keweenaw Bay has no ice yet. It is very rare to have ice in December on the bay. There are a lot of years that the ice isn't good until late January or early February and there have even been a few where we didn't get good ice at all for the winter. Right now the ice on Pike Bay in Chassell is only about 3" thick and not very solid according to a couple of guys I talked to last Saturday when they were coming off the bay. There also was 6+ inches of slush on top and a lot of fluffy snow above that . Pulling their sled was a chore. It shouldn't be long now before the inland lakes do have good ice but I don't know when K. Bay will be ready.

Offline Mtuyooper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2019, 09:28 AM »
Munising Bay is another option for splake though I don't know what the ice is like. You can go off the Anna River on the east side of town and fish near the locals. Another option is off the docks. I've done well for splake in both spots.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.