The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Weekend forecast  (Read 3411 times)

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
Weekend forecast
« on: Dec 18, 2018, 12:11 PM »
Just an FYI, the weather forecast for western MA Thursday through Saturday is going to be terrible for ice: Thursday low 40's, rain starting in the evening, Friday mid 50's rain all day, Saturday mid 40's rain it the morning. Be careful out there this weekend!

Offline Fish addict

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Weekend forecast
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2018, 12:46 PM »
Thanks for the update was hoping to head out but not looking promising

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2018, 02:25 PM »
thanks

Offline Phishing.Hacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2018, 03:17 PM »
Brightside is the forecast has been wrong before and its supposed to get cold again next week.

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2018, 03:21 PM »
Not scared by it. 8in cant just magically disappear in 3 days even with rain.

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2018, 04:06 PM »
Not scared by it. 8in cant just magically disappear in 3 days even with rain.

Well you're not just wrong, you're being arrogant and dramatic about it too. It's absolutely possible for 8" of ice to turn punky and unsafe after 3 days of well above freezing temps and 1" to 2" of rain. There are plenty of places with 3 to 6 inches that won't be safe by this weekend, and many others that will experience uneven melt from runoff or current.  Try not to forget that there are hundreds of relatively inexperienced people that visit this site. Maybe you read about the guy that just went through the ice in Brimfield on a lake that had been "safely" ice fished already this year? They just found his body today. That should give everyone pause regardless of upcoming weather. 

I'm not suggesting you should be scared, but maybe if you feel like a particular post doesn't apply to you it may just be better to ignore it?

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2018, 04:12 PM »
I always check ice as I go when I am going over an area for the first time or after a warm spell. I'm not trying to sound arrogant but it seems like everytime we get a little warm weather everyone sounds the alarms and panics. If people are inexperienced then they should be cautious. Everyone should be cautious always no matter 2in or 2ft of ice. Yes 8in of Ice can be hurt with 3 days of rain but looking at lows in the low 30s at night where I am looking my better judgement would tell me that it shouldnt critically endanger the ice. Might need a little board for the shorelines but as always 2 hard wacks with the spud and it's safe. One wack and start backing up.

Offline elevatorman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Cynical people make bad friends.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2018, 04:27 PM »
Lots of rain Friday 2-3 "  :'(
A Country boy can Survive.

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2018, 04:29 PM »
I always check ice as I go when I am going over an area for the first time or after a warm spell. I'm not trying to sound arrogant but it seems like everytime we get a little warm weather everyone sounds the alarms and panics. If people are inexperienced then they should be cautious. Everyone should be cautious always no matter 2in or 2ft of ice. Yes 8in of Ice can be hurt with 3 days of rain but looking at lows in the low 30s at night where I am looking my better judgement would tell me that it shouldnt critically endanger the ice. Might need a little board for the shorelines but as always 2 hard wacks with the spud and it's safe. One wack and start backing up.

That's a much more helpful and objective reply. It's predicted to hit 60 degrees in greater Springfield Friday and we could see 2 inches of rain. That's not "a little warm weather". Nobody is panicking, and nobody knows where you are going but you, and that weather will absolutely make places that are fishable today unsafe by this weekend. That's not debatable. Boil it down like this: I said "It's going to be warm and rainy and that can hurt the ice so be careful. Then you said "No it won't". I don't think that's a smart contribution to the topic, but thanks for clarifying what you actually meant.

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2018, 07:11 PM »
Ice making weather after rain - just a one weekend interruption I think

fordman

« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2018, 07:43 PM »
Good time for big river walleye

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2018, 08:31 AM »
Better than 3 feet of snow.
give the man a cigar!... dead nuts right ...put a few feet of snow on thin ice and you'll be set back for months...as I said in another post...this rain is the equivalent of a head cold this time of year although  an annoyance the effects will be gone in a week...if we had that much snow some places would be done for the winter. .if it was March. .the scenario would be differant
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 2018, 07:24 AM »
Well you're not just wrong, you're being arrogant and dramatic about it too. It's absolutely possible for 8" of ice to turn punky and unsafe after 3 days of well above freezing temps and 1" to 2" of rain. There are plenty of places with 3 to 6 inches that won't be safe by this weekend, and many others that will experience uneven melt from runoff or current.  Try not to forget that there are hundreds of relatively inexperienced people that visit this site. Maybe you read about the guy that just went through the ice in Brimfield on a lake that had been "safely" ice fished already this year? They just found his body today. That should give everyone pause regardless of upcoming weather. 

MERRY CHRISTMAS FLYFISH  santa left ya something

Offline jigabob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2018, 09:10 AM »
I think we need to include " DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!" with each post to stay clear of being criticism.

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 25, 2018, 12:47 PM »
Ha! “ it’s going to be 33 degrees, don’t go! Don’t go! You will all die, your family will never see you again! Don’t go! Don’t go!”

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2018, 09:09 AM »
Ha! “ it’s going to be 33 degrees, don’t go! Don’t go! You will all die, your family will never see you again! Don’t go! Don’t go!”

This was posted originally last week when it was 60 degrees...

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2018, 10:07 AM »
That Saturday I was still on 6in in the rain even though it was 60.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Dec 26, 2018, 10:07 AM »

I caught lakers!

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 26, 2018, 10:17 AM »

Plenty of ice around still.  Edges got soft but if you look at ponds/lakes with some elevation they held up fine.  Was on 8+ on sunday.
westernmas on the finder

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 26, 2018, 12:40 PM »
This was posted originally last week when it was 60 degrees...

I don’t care

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 26, 2018, 02:11 PM »
I don’t care

Thanks for the contribution, cool guy *thumbs up emoji*

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 26, 2018, 02:17 PM »
Thanks for the contribution, cool guy *thumbs up emoji*

He put the tuna boat away so he's getting salty with no ice in the SE.   :P
westernmas on the finder

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 26, 2018, 02:20 PM »
He put the tuna boat away so he's getting salty with no ice in the SE.   :P

In all fairness that would ruin my day too. 100% going to do a tuna charter this coming year.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #26 on: Dec 26, 2018, 02:22 PM »
In all fairness that would ruin my day too. 100% going to do a tuna charter this coming year.

I will as well. If you are looking for someone to split costs with, I am that dude and there may be a handful on here as well.
Just add water.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 26, 2018, 06:34 PM »
I will as well. If you are looking for someone to split costs with, I am that dude and there may be a handful on here as well.
When me and my buddy get his boat going I will keep you in mind for a trip. I have tuna experience on other boats but my buddy has zero. But you cant catch them not fishing. Thinking about just setting out 4 130s with bait on stellwagon or troll bars and ballyhoo east of Chatham.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #28 on: Dec 27, 2018, 06:06 AM »
When me and my buddy get his boat going I will keep you in mind for a trip. I have tuna experience on other boats but my buddy has zero. But you cant catch them not fishing. Thinking about just setting out 4 130s with bait on stellwagon or troll bars and ballyhoo east of Chatham.

Sounds great to me.
Just add water.

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 27, 2018, 01:58 PM »
You will have much better results going the live bait route then bars and hoo, I didn’t get a good troll bite until October and November, ballyhoo on a glow joe shute was deadly in October bc of all the baby bonito around

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.