Author Topic: Is a dimmer needed for leds?  (Read 665 times)

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
Is a dimmer needed for leds?
« on: Oct 18, 2018, 02:57 PM »
Have a Shappell 1man flip, putting the lights in soon. Was researching and saw some people run a dimmer is it necessary or just preference?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Is a dimmer needed for leds?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2018, 03:50 PM »
No but its nice to have a remote to turn them on and off.wiring is simple inline between battery and light strip.nice to dim lights sometimes too.cheap ones on ebay.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2018, 06:05 PM »
It’s also handy if you’re running a more intense led and you want to save battery life. I also like to have control over the light. My led experience comes from aquariums and it’s nkce to be able to adjust the brightness of you have to. I’ve just carried that rhetoric over to my hub. My dimmer is an inline IR dimmer with a remote. It was like 7 bucks on amazon when I got it. Works pretty well so far.

https://www.amazon.com/Single-Color-Light-Controller-Remote/dp/B00QKVVUZ2/ref=pd_aw_sbs_60_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RKY6MAA1QYGDZ468V1JG&th=1
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2018, 06:36 PM »
I cant speak on all LED strip lights, but mine are insanely bright.  I made a power box with several features, one being a dimmer that's installed inside the box.

In my opinion, putting in these LED strips is not the best idea I ever tried.  Halfway through the strip I installed, it got a severed connection and now only one half of the shack is lit now.  I just don't think they ever would stand up to the punishment one levies on their shack when setting up and tearing down. That said, it's still plenty of light.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2018, 09:55 PM »
I have these lights
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071PFC1H2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_EzuYBb0MBJBS3

Initially planning to run 1 on the bar directly overhead, 1on the bar over the door, and 1 on the back of the tub between my feet. If needed I will double up the overhead ones.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2018, 02:43 PM »
when i use my over head leds i run a remote for them. it's too much light to be on full tilt the entire time i'm stuck in a flip.
that light bar your buying is what i hot glued to an ammo box with out a remote and use it as a lantern. i use that way more than over head lights and a head lamp. i use smd5050 water proof string leds on my bars. https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=316792.0
i use velcro one wrap to hold leds to the support bars. easy to rip in half and make it go further. helps on the line management also.

Offline Bubba340

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2018, 08:23 AM »
I just got the Otter LED pro-lights and I cant believe how bright they are (very expensive tho)..  certainly need the dimmer on these.  I have the regular strip LEDS (1050) on the bows of my flipovers and they are fine without dimmers as they are not so bright...

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2018, 02:45 AM »
I have these lights
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071PFC1H2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_EzuYBb0MBJBS3

Initially planning to run 1 on the bar directly overhead, 1on the bar over the door, and 1 on the back of the tub between my feet. If needed I will double up the overhead ones.

Did exactly as described, but all seperately fused and controlled by different switches. Can get as much or little light as needed. Loving it. No issues seeing my Showdown fish finder, easy to see line, and jigs. Just a few more mods and  then I'll have to figure out putting pics on here

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.