Author Topic: Google Phone Scam  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Evinrude58

• Team IceShanty Regular
Google Phone Scam
« on: Feb 19, 2018, 01:07 PM »
Listed my boat on Craigslist. A bit ago got a text asking if they could call about it. Said yes, then received another text saying "Please accept my call and press 44 to be connected to me as I am using Google phone." I did not do this as warning bells went off in my head as the texts were from a local number but the call came from D.C. They tried calling like 8 times before they gave up. Looked it up online but don't understand exactly how it works. It seems that doing as they request ties your number to their Google number so they can use your number while scamming others.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Google Phone Scam
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2018, 01:18 PM »
geez. thanks for the heads up. there are so many low lifes in this world.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2018, 01:24 PM »
Maybe the same idea, but I get a lot of calls with the same area code and prefix of my cell phone. It’s amazing how many special drawings I win out of the blue from the same area code and prefix as my cell that is on the do not call list....

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2018, 01:25 PM »
They come up with new Scams all the time. I still get calls from people pretending to be Microsoft. They want me to allow them access to my PC so they can fix a problem. Another one is they want me to give them info about my checking's account so they can reimburse me money they owe me. I play along for a while then call them every name in the book and tell them how stupid they are.

<===Lefty===

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2018, 02:11 PM »
I stopped trying to sell on CL and the like because nobody ever wants to give you what whatever you’re selling is worth (if they are even real people to begin with).

A good way to filter spam on sites like that is to NEVER post your phone number or email address (especially on CL). Tell potential buyers, in your ad description, to include a key word (whatever you choose) in the email header that the site generates when they reply to your ad so you know if it’s an actual person from the start. It’s helped out a lot for me in the past.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline camo man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2018, 06:08 PM »
I get one that claims they are the irs. They have called quite a few times so one day I stayed on for a while and started asking questions , I finally
Had enough then told the guy were to go. They called again a few times and finally went away. Saw on the news it was a scam going around.

Offline Evinrude58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2018, 08:15 PM »
Had the IRS call once. They threatened to have me arrested I said I would be waiting out front for them. Never heard from them again. Another thing I heard works for them is telling them you are Canadian, British or Austrailian and don't know who the IRS is.
    The one that really annoys me is the automated credit card ones where they say they been monitoring my payment history for the last 6 months. Can't get rid of them. Have actually talked to them  to tell them to remove me from their call list as I don't even own a credit card. That seemed to work for a couple months. Started calling again a couple weeks back so this time told them that the number is a hotline. So far no calls.
    Have fun with them if you can and waste their time. They really hate that. After all time is money.

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2018, 08:25 PM »
I like to answer a scam call in Spanish, then when they switch you to a Spanish speaking person change to broken English with an Asian accent.  They hang up and my children laugh

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2018, 06:42 AM »
GOOGLE VOICE is a real thing.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2018, 08:38 AM »
It is called Spoofing. Here is a link. https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/spoofing-and-caller-id. I get it all the time. Have contacted the FCC on numerous occasions reporting this. Yet the calls keep coming. All recorded of course. Credit Card Services and You stayed at one of our resorts. Plus i am on the National Do Not Call List. Report the numbers and company's all the time. Nothing is being done. Waste of time.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2018, 10:30 AM »
Certainly has gotten out of hand. If I don't recognize the number I don't answer.

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2018, 10:37 AM »
i answer the calls and just scream at the top of my lungs at them and ask their names lots of times and say i don't understand.  then i try and sell them old tools i have laying around.  most times they hang up first and don't call back. 

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2018, 10:51 AM »
what OP described is not spoofing.

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2018, 01:35 PM »
Certainly has gotten out of hand. If I don't recognize the number I don't answer.

^^^^^^^^^ This is exactly what I do!  If it's a real call, they will leave a message and I will call them back.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.