The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: York County Stocked Ponds?  (Read 988 times)

Offline flyfish_tfo

• IceShanty Rookie
York County Stocked Ponds?
« on: Feb 14, 2018, 07:08 PM »
I was thinking of getting out this weekend to try and ice a few brookies for the first time. Can anyone give any updates for the fall stocked ponds in York County? Not asking for specific locations but more like wether they're still fishing well or if they've been slow.

Thanks!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: York County Stocked Ponds?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2018, 07:59 PM »
Well if you’re already looking at the list, just pick some with good numbers to pond size ratio and go try it. Most of the put and take places that get stocked in fall will fish well even in spring after the thaw. Even on ponds that have had derbies don’t get truely fished out, the catch and release mindset seems to have more and more people not bringing home as much fish.  Pressured/educated fish may not be as fast action but they are still there, and hungry. Some places like little O get stocked plenty, but is a slow producer since it’s a decent sized lake and relatively deep with lots of forage.

Offline flyfish_tfo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2018, 08:05 PM »
Well if you’re already looking at the list, just pick some with good numbers to pond size ratio and go try it. Most of the put and take places that get stocked in fall will fish well even in spring after the thaw. Even on ponds that have had derbies don’t get truely fished out, the catch and release mindset seems to have more and more people not bringing home as much fish.  Pressured/educated fish may not be as fast action but they are still there, and hungry. Some places like little O get stocked plenty, but is a slow producer since it’s a decent sized lake and relatively deep with lots of forage.

Thanks for the reassurance. Looking at some of the smaller ponds that get 600+ fish I figured they wouldn't get truly fished out.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2018, 08:15 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance. Looking at some of the smaller ponds that get 600+ fish I figured they wouldn't get truly fished out.

If you look at tiny little ponds like the otters in Standish or even upper Hinkley right in town south Portland, I’ve caught them through spring.

Offline on-ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2018, 09:38 AM »
Barker Pond in Lyman gets heavily stocked in the fall. Nothing too big, but a lot of fish.

Offline mt4410

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2018, 07:36 PM »
if you do hinkley pond, make sure you're on the right one for your age!!!

Offline flyfish_tfo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2018, 08:40 PM »
if you do hinkley pond, make sure you're on the right one for your age!!!

Do you actually have to be that age or can you just act it? 😁😁😁

Offline porkpiehat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2018, 11:05 PM »
got some good brookies on Kennebunk pond and I'm guessing ice is still really good. there are some good inlets where I imagine rainbows are active but not sure about access. Snowmobile probably makes all the difference. York pond is small and well-stocked with brookies. same with Knight's pond in S Berwick unsure of the ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.