The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Jaw Jacker/automatic fisherman tip ups in MN  (Read 7141 times)

Offline Spud_bar

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Poppin' Swedish Pimples since '96
Jaw Jacker/automatic fisherman tip ups in MN
« on: Dec 10, 2017, 09:38 PM »
I've read that these are legal to use seemingly everywhere but MN. I got one over the summer, and am just discovering that apparently they're illegal. Not that I don't believe "the internet" but has anyone actually seen the verbage that dictates that they're not legal? I'm just curious for the reason behind it. Seems like the action of them, is quite similar to downriggers, which as far as I know are legal in MN.

Thanks for any info anyone has to share.  :tipup:
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Offline Yamatime

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Jaw Jacker/automatic fisherman tip ups in MN
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2017, 11:35 PM »
There is much debate on the subject here in MN. I'll attach the regulations that talk about spring devices. Basically it's gonna be up to how the CO interprets the law. The automatic fisherman uses the rod to set the hook. So I would say it's legal. But I don't work for the DNR.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2017, 11:37 PM »
Page 31 in the regulation book. under illegal methods. a jaw jacker is considered a spring device thus illegal in MN.

here is the actual state statue on it (it is #4 on this list) :

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=97C.325&year=2017
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Houligan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2017, 05:03 AM »
Probably shouldn't be doing this buuut,

The only spring I see on the jaw jacker is the tension adjustment which is not illegal and the release is mechanical. The only spring action is the rod itself and that is what a rod is meant to do whether by mechanical or physical action. If this device is illegal then so would a down rigger release be illegal as they work in the same principal. And who considered the jaw jacker to be a spring device? It is not, its a mechanical device. Just saying...

I would use it in MN and take my chances in court.

Anyway, was browsing the MN forums being I just passed through MN on my way home. Saw some people ice fishing on a lake downtown Albert lee. Was checking to see if any results were posted, came across this post and could not resist.

Cheers!

Offline sodakdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2017, 07:41 AM »
MN is the last place anyone wants to "take their chances in court" against the DNR.

It would be better to send an email to them and lay out a well thought our argument like you wrote here, and get their response. And abide by it whatever it is.

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2017, 07:48 AM »
Wisconsin has the same rule but automatic fisherman and jaw jackersnare routinely used on Lake Michigan. If a jaw jacker is illegal so is setting the hook. I think they were outlawing the spring loaded auto hook set tip ups. I also agree if you email them and get a response that they are ok to use then if a warden stops you and tickets you at least you would have a pretty good argument to get out of the ticket.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2017, 09:14 AM »
Probably shouldn't be doing this buuut,

The only spring I see on the jaw jacker is the tension adjustment which is not illegal and the release is mechanical. The only spring action is the rod itself and that is what a rod is meant to do whether by mechanical or physical action. If this device is illegal then so would a down rigger release be illegal as they work in the same principal. And who considered the jaw jacker to be a spring device? It is not, its a mechanical device. Just saying...

I would use it in MN and take my chances in court.

Anyway, was browsing the MN forums being I just passed through MN on my way home. Saw some people ice fishing on a lake downtown Albert lee. Was checking to see if any results were posted, came across this post and could not resist.

Cheers!

That's funny. Let me know when you hit a MN lake with one so I can observe the outcome.The DNR would pour the coals to anyone if they caught them using it.

Offline sodakdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2017, 09:29 AM »
...The DNR would pour the coals to anyone if they caught them using it.

The DNR will pour the coals to someone if their coffee was the wrong temp that morning....

Offline Houligan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2017, 11:26 PM »
Just saying... It is no different then using a down rigger with a release and bowed tension on the rod. The rod sets the hook. Neither are a spring device as outlined in your regulations linked to previously above. All I can say is move to a free state and start living free again or stand up to this misinterpretation of the regs by certain individuals within your "DNR".

Also the statute goes on to say:
(c) The commissioner may, by rule, allow the use of a nonmotorized device with a "RECOIL MECHANISM" to take fish through the ice.

Cheers!

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2017, 09:13 AM »
 ::) ::)  Or just move to Vt.  for pike??  You can spear them, shoot them, or wait until winter when you can set 15 tipups and keep 5  20 inch pike per day.   
Dick

Offline Dave shapell dx3000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2017, 04:25 PM »
i just found out about that as well. i am from north west PA and planning to come and do some ice fishing in mn in january. I was reading your regulation book and I couldnt believe some of the differences in PA jaw jackers are fine to use. and we are allowed up to 5 lines in the ice. I saw your only allowed 2.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.