Author Topic: Yellow Perch - Junk Fish?  (Read 19389 times)

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Yellow Perch - Junk Fish?
« Reply #60 on: Jan 28, 2005, 09:05 AM »
PERCH HOCKEY i love that game  ;D JUNK FISH  :P
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #61 on: Jan 28, 2005, 09:08 AM »
HEY MAINERS throw every yellow perch you can on the ice for BIRD food please  ;D some one can eat it  :P
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

billybono

« Reply #62 on: Jan 28, 2005, 09:17 AM »
ill keep the perch and play burbot hockey. i had never heard of eating burbot until i got on this site. not a practice i condone, but Oneida lake here in NY will have the ice littered with them. to each his own ;D
                                                                           billybono

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Jan 28, 2005, 09:26 AM »
well i tried these little yellow buggers recently and they were pretty good but i just cant see directing my efforts toward these little buggers.  i prefer larger fish to catch and since i dont eat much fish ill leave them for the eagles . i will not through them back only to steal my bait again. i do just discard them on the ice for the eagles or other creatures who cant always find an easy meal underneath winters blanket. someone else already said it, to each his own but im not converting  :D  i love this topic though it always makes me chuckle
 :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline dldeadstick

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NW Angle Blizzard
« Reply #64 on: Jan 28, 2005, 10:37 AM »
The people that call them junk fish are probably from an area where they're very small or have varying lake conditions that make catching them less of a sport.  Here at Devils Lake I'd rather catch a limit of perch any day than a limit of walleye.  They're finicky on Devils Lake because of the abundance of shrimp, so they're not stupid, hungry and easy to catch.  If I'm fishing walleyes in the trees and mark one on my Vexilar I'm alot more confident and likely to catch that walleye than if I find perch in 40' of water - have to try a lot different presentations and jigging techniques to trigger them - but that's Devils Lake. 

As far as size goes - if you're trying to keep 1/4 lb perch, it's not worth the fillet you're getting.  But, get into a school of jumbos like the 15.5", 1 1/2 lber below and you'll have a lot of fun and a good meal for supper.  My preference of eating for fish is perch 1st, walleye 2nd, sunfish/bluegill 3rd, northern 4th and crappies 5th.

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #65 on: Jan 28, 2005, 11:30 AM »
ill keep the perch and play burbot hockey. i had never heard of eating burbot until i got on this site. not a practice i condone, but Oneida lake here in NY will have the ice littered with them. to each his own ;D
                                                                           billybono

That's the way it was up here too for many years, untill the F&W made them a sport fish.
Now it is a good fine to waste a burbot. In most prov they even have a limit,
in Saskatchewan it is 8 a day. As for perch, differant lakes, differant taste, differant sizes.

Offline reelmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Jan 28, 2005, 11:38 AM »
They are the best. Hands down. Lots of work but well worth it
YOu can only get skunked so many times before you have to shower, Peeeeuuuuw

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Jan 28, 2005, 12:03 PM »
Gotta side with Rendo on this one. I have no respect for any sportsman that indiscriminately kills and then wastes edible fish or wildlife because you don't like them. Its people like that who drove the Bison and Grizzly Bear to near extinction. It amazes me how some sportsman want to help those that would take your privileges to hunt or fish at all, completely away. Whether its here at this site or in the field, remember, big brother is always watching. To me its a matter of ethics. Sorry if I offend anyone with such a hard stance but if you don't think that hunting and fishing is under fire from the anti groups, then you are living in a fantasy world. We as sportsman have a responsibility to set a clean example to those that don't understand the hunting and fishing way of life. If we take part in a practice that would appall the average person who does not fish or hunt then we supply the anti groups with ammunition to use against us.

IceTroll
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #68 on: Jan 28, 2005, 12:16 PM »
obviously this is gonna be a hot topic. in my own defense i will add that im not talking a lot of fish im talking a few. if i choose to feed wildlife with them rather than myself i shall .i am not wasting any natural resources. i invite you to walk around any lake i fish and find a frozen perch carcass.the wildlife takes good care of it.if i feed five perch to an eagle and you bring 30 or 40 home to stuff yourself,as i have seen so many of you post ,  i ask you who is waisting what??it is not wasted because you are eating it ?? >:( :D over and out guys...happy perching

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Jan 28, 2005, 12:37 PM »
 ;D Jee Scott did you try the way I said to cook it?? Man I just had two and a half pans of perfectly pan fried perch and  I could eat 2 more!!It's just so good.Oh yeah if perch are so bad why are you feeding them to Eagles aren't they your national symbol?? ;) ;D I do feel bad that perch were dumped into waters where they didn't belong because they can quickly overpopulate a lake where there is a lack of predatory species and then become stunted.The same thing happens in Manitoba where they stock walleyes into lakes for years to get a decent population in there only to have some local oldtimers plant pike in there.......soon enough no more walleyes and a bunch of little snot rockets.What is a "Junk fish" anyways is there such a thing? Any species in it's natural environment serves it's purpose it's only when they are planted where they do not belong that they become a nuisance. Happy fishing everyone would be a shame for people to get pis*ed at each other in here as we are all diehard fishermen/women and are the only ones that actually enjoy talking about fishing ALL THE TIME!! ;D 8) 8)

Tight lines!!! :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #70 on: Jan 28, 2005, 12:42 PM »
  My preference of eating for fish is perch 1st, walleye 2nd, sunfish/bluegill 3rd, northern 4th and crappies 5th.

Sunfish/bluegill are in the same category as yellow perch. I didn't know anybody ate those until I visited this site. I don't want to offend anybody but when I see someone proud as can be holding up a sunfish, it still makes me chuckle. Probably because no one would do that around my area. I guess it's just depends on what you're used to and what you grew up with.  :-\ By the sound of things, you guys really like them. We all love catching fish - so best of luck to everyone for what ever type of fish you're after.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Jan 28, 2005, 12:52 PM »
  My preference of eating for fish is perch 1st, walleye 2nd, sunfish/bluegill 3rd, northern 4th and crappies 5th.

Sunfish/bluegill are in the same category as yellow perch. I didn't know anybody ate those until I visited this site. I don't want to offend anybody but when I see someone proud as can be holding up a sunfish, it still makes me chuckle. Probably because no one would do that around my area. I guess it's just depends on what you're used to and what you grew up with.  :-\ By the sound of things, you guys really like them. We all love catching fish - so best of luck to everyone for what ever type of fish you're after.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

I understand what you mean same goes for me when I see pics of trout. :D  where I grew up and fished there wasn't too many trout mostly stockers and at 23 with 19 years of fishing I have never ever caught one or fished for them I have eaten browns rainbows and lakers and found them to taste too fishy.I still like to see a happy angler with any kind of fish and hope that i am lucky enough to fish for trout soon!! Especially the 30+lb lakers we have in Manitoba 8) You guys would probably think I was nuts because I enjoy angling for alternate species such as huge freshwater drum and big brown bullheads in the spring and huge channel cats in the summer not for eating but for fun!!  ;D

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #72 on: Jan 28, 2005, 03:01 PM »
                                                                           billybono

Man...burbot are the GOODS!!! Ugly as hell, but they taste great! Here in Michigan's U.P., there's a large following of burbot fisherman! I'd stack it next to walleye any day!

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

billybono

« Reply #73 on: Jan 28, 2005, 03:06 PM »
                                                                           billybono

Man...burbot are the GOODS!!! Ugly as hell, but they taste great! Here in Michigan's U.P., there's a large following of burbot fisherman! I'd stack it next to walleye any day!
like i said to each his own. i never have, but i have seen hundreds tossed away. i have always considered it a junk fish. thats the good thing about this forum, it made me realize that what i have been taught isn't necessarily right

billybono

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #74 on: Jan 28, 2005, 05:42 PM »
I'll take a trout over anything for eating,... onions, butter and bacon! But I'm with Trophy Hunter. I'll catfish for fun all day. What a blast. Then I bring a few home for blackend catfish with  crab hush puppies. Yum! ;D Or mustard fried cats with stuffed jalepenos! :woot:
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

fisher-man

« Reply #75 on: Jan 28, 2005, 09:44 PM »
I will do you a favor and dispose of those nasty fish for you, I wouldn;t want you to get a bad taste in your mouth. But I will suffer thru it with some cracker meal and oil,  ;D

Offline firestormhtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Jan 29, 2005, 11:30 AM »
 Great Eating,Like cook said,Poor Mans Shrimp.Rool them in Batter and deep fat Fry. : :thumbsup:

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
« Reply #77 on: Jan 29, 2005, 04:46 PM »
I dont like them and wont eat them.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #78 on: Jan 29, 2005, 04:51 PM »

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #79 on: Jan 29, 2005, 05:18 PM »
here a pike is closer to being a trash fish than a perch, and nine five percent of fisherman i know would much rather dine on perch than any trout species. don't get me wrong either i do a lot of trout fishing in all seasons and love fly fishing but when it comes to the table i'll take pike and perch any day of the year. trout is reserved for shore lunches and smoking other than that the usually get released.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #80 on: Jan 29, 2005, 06:53 PM »
Great pic. Bilditrite, Did you take it?
           Jim

Offline Rotney72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Jan 29, 2005, 09:12 PM »
Burbutt...or eelpout ...is what we call dogfish where i live...they are s#iteaters...i would like to play trout baseball with my auger..and then take my perch home and fryem up and eatem up!!!! I can eat all the trout i want ..i live on the southern end of lake michigan...i chose not too...i would rather eat jumbo perch any day...screw trout they SUCKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Jan 30, 2005, 06:57 AM »
Yellow Perch  :clap: :thumbsup:  Yum, Yum.......
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

missfishylicious

« Reply #83 on: Jan 30, 2005, 12:01 PM »
It's all a matter of size.perch and sunnies are delicious eating if they heve some size to them as far as burbout goes they throw them on the ice here .wich is a waist to me but they are the only fresh water member of the cod family, so I don't know why they wouldn't be good eating.your really going to laugh at this "I think there to cute to eat" there I said it. go ahead hate me. tear me new one. ;D and dogfish are bowfins not burbout .they both live in oneida lake in ny

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Jan 30, 2005, 01:23 PM »
Why would you say that Burbot are $h!teater$. The Burbot is as much a predator as any other fresh water fish. Missfishy is 100% correct that Burbot are a fresh water Cod which is not a trash fish in any catagory. As long as you stay away from the belly meat on a Burbot, they are as good eating as any fish. They also grow very slow and can live up to 16 years. It is a shame that anyone would waste such a fish because they are ugly or considered nasty by some. Here is what the scientists say about the Burbots diet:

This is one of the many voracious predatory fish. They eat mostly other fish. Depending on where they live, these might include sculpins, yellow perch, walleyes, troutperch, or lake trout. They also eat fish eggs, clams, and crayfish. Young burbots eat small crayfish, mayfly larvae, and other aquatic insects.

Sounds like any other predator fish. No mention of being $h!teaters either. Oh wait. They eat other game fish that we like to catch. I do believe that Pike, Trout and walleyes also eat other game fish, including their own kind. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmm.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Jan 30, 2005, 02:40 PM »
Hey, a bald eagle thats not eating on a dead pig! Where did you ever find that? I thot thats all they ever ate. I`ll tell you, whoever dreamed them up as a national bird was not a hog farmer nor did he live near a hog farm. I would have voted for the wild turkey with Franklin.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

icecold mike

« Reply #86 on: Jan 30, 2005, 04:18 PM »
  yellow perch are the best tasting fish .white perch are considered trash fish around here .maybe if all you catch is little tiny 5 inchers id consider them trasfish too .i caught some good size whites last spring and nobody wanted them so back in the water they went.

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #87 on: Jan 30, 2005, 11:09 PM »
What the @#$#@! Junk Fish!! Try gourmet brother! The same thing was said about cusk,ling,burbot or whatever you call them and they are one of the best fish in freshwater! Restaurants buy perch from ya here!
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
« Reply #88 on: Jan 31, 2005, 05:25 AM »
May you catch keep and eat all the perch you want.
Please come to maine and catch every last one of them.

may the perch be with you!!! ;D ;D ;D

Ps leave a few for us to catch and throw to the birds    thanks  he he

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #89 on: Jan 31, 2005, 06:39 AM »
Great pic. Bilditrite, Did you take it?
           Jim
yes i was able to get in close and let my zoom do the rest. he knew i didnt want that perch ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.