Author Topic: Rain In January  (Read 2768 times)

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
Rain In January
« on: Jan 02, 2006, 12:23 PM »
I can't believe this weather.  It was nice and cold in early December.  Got on the ice before Christmas!!!! ;D ;D  And now, here we are on January 2 with thunderstorms and hail... >:( >:(  The ice at the subdivision pond I've been fishing on was pulling back from the shore on 12/31 (there was 7" of ok ice in the middle).  I can only imagine what this rain is doing to the mushy ice.  Maybe we'd be better off if all the ice melts and starts over freezing.  All I can say is "Pray for sub 0 temps" I'd hate to think the season is already over.

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Rain In January
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2006, 06:09 PM »
Relax.  this was a bonus, ice will be back around 10th and little will melt in the middles.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2006, 11:53 AM »
Blu...Thanks for the words of encouragment.  I'm glad like your wound is healing nicely! Maybe we can hookup at the CLF Ice Fishing derby.  As long as Tubes is voluteering to haul gear up the monster hill, I'll be there.

Offline wsj_outdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wandering the Ice somewhere
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2006, 12:55 PM »
The rain should be somewhat of a help to the ice.  With the layer of slush on top, the rain should make it solid once the cold comes back...............

wsj does like the 1/10 date........... :tipup:

wsj ;)
If a man can't laugh at himself....he leaves the job to others

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2006, 04:10 PM »
back to work tonight. I think its a pain doc's say its good.  guess if the chairs available at work I am good.  lots of vacation time coming.  10th is a good start date for icing down here anyway.  when's prefishing????
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline iceturd

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2006, 05:39 PM »
Last yr. I was on 4" of clear ice over Christmas wkend, next wkend Dec, 31 set a record high, 60degrees! didn,t get back on ice here in the middle of IL. til Jan.20. If we keep a couple inches or better out on the lakes& ponds & get the cold weather back, we should be OK, seen this happen before, however, it is freakin frustrating! TIGHT LINES & BE WARY THE BANK!

Offline toph2o

• IceShanty Rookie
  • when in doubt, jerk
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2006, 08:53 PM »
Banner marsh is all open water. maby a shoreline walk with my rod and reel might cure the cabin fever

Offline wsj_outdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wandering the Ice somewhere
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2006, 09:05 PM »
Banner marsh is all open water. maby a shoreline walk with my rod and reel might cure the cabin fever

You just may have invented........."Ice Trolling" :o

But a man's got to do what a man's got to do.......to quell that ice fever.

wsj ;)
If a man can't laugh at himself....he leaves the job to others

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2006, 04:49 AM »
I fish in Central Il., around Peoria. I read your guys posts about the ice being ok around the 10th--where are you fishing? Have you seen the latest forecasts? Many weathermen are saying we've already experienced the worst of the winter--if that's the case, I may be putting up my ice gear. I know we still have Febuary, but it doesn't look to promising here.
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2006, 07:34 PM »
This weather does suck.  Here in PA the central parts still have ice, but the east and west are pretty much shot. 
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline toph2o

• IceShanty Rookie
  • when in doubt, jerk
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2006, 07:45 PM »
  40"s and 50'S  are not good ice makers

Offline valleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2006, 04:32 PM »
I believe the lakes in Lake County and Southern Wisconsin should be okay this weekend.  A derby was in place this past weekend on Twin Lakes with many people participating.  Freezing temps at night should firm up what was "slushy" last week.

Be Cool.............Be Safe out there!!!!!!! :)
'Carpe Diem' does not mean 'Fish of the Day'

bubblebass8

« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2006, 08:00 PM »
Yeah, yesterday I rode my bike to school in jeans and a tee shirt and fished the river in the same. If its gonna get warm, at least get to something more like say.... 70, I say pick one extreame or another and go for it. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.