Author Topic: HELP A NEWBIE! If you don't know what lake is in what area where do you start?  (Read 543 times)

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
I received this in a PM this morning from a newbie to Ice Shanty. Instead of keeping this in our State forum, thought I'd toss it out to everybody to see what.

If you don't know what lake is in what area where you start? I can look through maps and get lost. For example  if you were coming to the (Fill in the blank) area, where would YOU start? If you had never been there...

I brought up the Reports and Condition forums for the different States and the thread we have titled 'FISHING INVITES / FIND ME ON THE ICE" where you can post and make arrangements to hit the ice somewhere. To start it I'll list a few I use:

1) Look up a bait shop kin that area and give them a call. When I get there buy a couple of jigs and reintroduce myself and begin a conversation on the area and bite

2) Check the Navionics Webapp
for listed bodies of water and do some Internet scouting for decent looking points, bars, underwater structure, etc.

3) Contact FB friends who fish the area

...What do you do???  :tipup:

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
Local bait shop is a good start. The state's DNR website is also another good resource. Here in Iowa the DNR sends out a state wide weekly fishing report.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Asking at a baitshop is probably the best way around here. Buy a few waxworms or something and they will be happy to help. Around here, asking on the internet probably won't work very well since a lot of us don't like fishing in the middle of a thousand people which usually happens when "the word" gets out.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Just call the local bait shop.  If they want your business in the future, they should be happy to at least steer you in the right direction.  The Delorme Atlas and Gazetteer of your state is another excellent resource, but should be followed up by local advice.  I know this because once I found a lake using the atlas and later found out by locals that the lake didn't have any fish in it.

Offline buuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
I know this won't apply to you but in Ontario the MNR is compiling an online comprehensive list for all the lakes in the province. The topo map shows the lake, types of fish, and stocking if applicable with both stocking numbers and dates.  It's still a work in progress but useful nonetheless. There may be similar maps to be found in the states.
https://www.gisapplication.lrc.gov.on.ca/FishONLine/Index.html?site=FishONLine&viewer=FishONLine&locale=en-US

Offline idahohunter1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Our fish and game website in Idaho isn't too bad of a place to look either, if it was Idaho anyway.
On the ice again, just can't wait to get on the ice again, the life I love is catching fish with my friends, and I can't wait to get on the ice again. "kinda Willie Nelson"

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
We have the same thing in montana, buuddy.  I was just giving general advice in case the op's state doesn't.  I don't remember Wyoming having such resources, when I lived there, but maybe they do now.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice

Go on your state thread here on Ice Shanty and see if thee are members that live close to you, most guys are
             friendly and will meet up with you and show you the ropes! At least I've done that and it has worked well. One thing you
             have to remember that ice fishermen don't like to share their spots, so if you do meet up with someone keep where you go
             to yourself.

IW

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
State DNR/local DNR feild office and local baitshops. I guess that's considered "old school" now. Not even in my 30's and I'm feeling older by the minute...

You could also find your local board on here and offer to supply bait, snacks, gas etc. to a trusted member in exchange for day or two fishing a few lakes. Make a friend and learn the area all in one.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Know the species preferences...know the time of season ...early...mid...late. Start at the access point(s) ...and divide the lake into 3-6 sections.. looking at a lake without breaking it down can be overwhelming  ...fish the most productive structure/contours/features you can locate on your map(s) based on the species preferences and time of season . If Lake X has only one access point and that close to the basin area why not start there at the basin ? Great idea ....unless its early or late season and the fish have migrated in/out/back to the shallows. Most likely you would not fish the basin on early ice for the most part ...and vice versa not in the shallows/flats at mid winter.

In-Fisherman formula, F (fish) +L (location) +P (presentation) = S (success)
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline AriettaBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
Try to digest the most basic info on here and from any other source available to you, then just hit the road. Find concentrations of parked cars and pull whatever gear you have out to wherever you see a concentration of fishermen. I've found that if you don't crowd people too much and use the most basic of "people skills", most  ice fishermen are more than happy to get anyone started.

Offline Ericbres

• IceShanty Rookie
As has  already been mentioned ... your states Fish and Game website is a great place to start.
I live in New Hampshire and our Fish and Game website has (mostly) all fishable bodies of water on PDF format depth charts - all of which include public and boat access points, species of fish in that body, acreage, GPS locations, directions as well as any pertinent notes.
I print them out and bring them to my local Office Depot/Office Max and have them laminated.

I know Maine's site is similar, only with far more detailed notes about fisheries and historical F&G studies performed on that body of water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.