Author Topic: Question For Rochester MN Members  (Read 941 times)

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
Question For Rochester MN Members
« on: Oct 06, 2012, 09:44 PM »
My wife has an early appointment at Mayo on Monday, afterward she wants to do some shopping.  Do any stores have any ice gear out yet?

Offline Plaidstork44

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Question For Rochester MN Members
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2012, 09:52 PM »
You could try the gander mountain or fleet farm I actually haven't visited either stores recently so I don't know but its worth stopping by.

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2012, 09:54 PM »
Mills Fleet Farm on the south side of town off 52 might.
They also have some cool fishing gear that I've never seen @ other Fleet Farm Stores.

There is also a place on broadway ( the main streeet in Rochester ).  Its right across the street from the McDonalds.  ITs called something goose I think.  They might.

There are 2 places I would strongly recommend eating @.

1.  Michaels - on broadway downtown.  Its Rochester finest and most popular restaurant.  Everyone from Mickey Mantle to Raegan has been there.  Maybe $18-$30 / plate.  I worked there going thru college.  I can honestly tell you I strongly recommend it!

2.  John Hardys BBQ:  There are 3 locations.  They are the complete opposite of Michaels.  Old run down hole in the bbq.  Again Rochesters FINNEST!! $5-$12/person.

Have fun!!!!

***** If you get a chance right next to the McDonalds I mentioned on Broadway there is a bakery called "The Gingerbread house".  Go in and buy all you can!!!  You will never find a bakery with better treats

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2012, 09:54 PM »
Gander Mountain has been gone for a long time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2012, 10:22 PM »
Fridyz

Thanks for the heads up on the resturants.  Been to John Hardies Excellent indeed.  We are actually going over Sunday afternoon.  She was talking about Italion, how is Victorias?  Maybe we can try Michaels for lunch.  We may get a chance to check out the Gingerbread House.  Used to go to Bloedows Bakery in Winona, awesome bakery.

We will check out Fleet Farm too.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2012, 10:36 PM »
And addicted, do check back here Sunday morning for a response from Rebelss. He may have a few more pointers to share.     ;)2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2012, 11:11 PM »
And addicted, do check back here Sunday morning for a response from Rebelss. He may have a few more pointers to share.     ;)2

Will do!  Thank You for the advice.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 2012, 09:03 AM »
Gander Mountain has been gone for a long time

We DO have a Gander Mountain, was there last week buying ammo. But, no ice gear yet, at least not last week. Ralph at Wild Goose does not put out ice fishing equipment, but you can have a custom ice rod built there...! Your best bet is Fleet Farm, they were starting to put some out last week....more on the way, my sporting goods buddy tells me. Victoria's is rated the #1 Italian restaurant if you like Italian. A block away from Mayo, try Newts, City Market, 300 on First, superb food/dining. Also, do NOT look for parking on the street; there is none. All parking is in Mayo lots, and they charge. PM me if you need any inside info about Mayo (spent 30 yrs there) or places to go or anything else....can give ya the scoop on the restaurants, too! ;)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 07, 2012, 09:18 AM »
Thanks. Reb,   been to Mayo 4 -5 times the last couple of months, so we have become fairly familiar with it. On one of our trips we did stop at Fleet Farm.  I really miss FF.  Used to go to the one in Winona all the time when I lived down that way.  We will check out FF, and Gander too.  I will pm you about the resturants.

Thanks Again!!

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 07, 2012, 09:54 AM »
Where is Gander Mountain in Rochester?
When I lived there it used to be in the mini mall "Crossroads"  But I thought they put a fitness place in there.

Victorias is good.  But in all honesty its nothing to rave about or go out of your way to eat @.  Michaels And John Hardys are unique and very very good.

Newts is good too.

Michaels and Gingerbread house are not open on Sundays.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #10 on: Oct 07, 2012, 10:12 AM »
Gander moved 7 years ago to 55th St NW, next to Affinity Plus.  ::)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 07, 2012, 12:15 PM »
Re Gander Mountain:  Awsome... I will have to go check out the GM next time I'm in town.

I spent a lot of my weekends / summers in Rochester.  Went to school there for 5 years as well.

We had a house right by Silver Lake.
I used to fish there off those 3 little foot birdges.  And it can sometimes be surprisingly good.  Pulled out a 17" Large Mouth earlier this year.  Tons of panfish.  I know theres a lot of Carp and Suckers in there.  And remember reading in the paper about a guy who pulled a 36" gator out of there.  And heard that fishing below the damn where the Zumbro dumps in there can be some good pike.

Ever heard or try pike fishing?  Ever catch any pike @ Silver Lake?
I fished some spoons earlier this year below the damn where the zumbro dumps in and there is a good current.  Had 2 pike follow to shore and strike.  But didnt get any.

ALso__________________
There is a small resevior just past Centruy H.S. and by the berry farm.  Ever fish there?  Ice fish there?

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #12 on: Oct 09, 2012, 12:10 PM »
i love our fleet farm, been to others and rochesters is the best, im pretty sure it is the companies largest store too... if you go to gander mnt try tinns in that same plaza next to BWW and you will have the best philly steak ever!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 09, 2012, 12:53 PM »
Thank You to everyone for all your help and info.  We did make it to FF, and to Gander.  We had to stay an extra day as they wanted to do addional testing.   

Thanks Again!

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 09, 2012, 01:52 PM »
If you get a chance you should try Chester's, its a restaurant located on the bottom floor of the Galleria. As for ice fishing gear? FF and Gander have some stuff but not a whole lot, still a bit early. 

Offline J_Jaacks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 09, 2012, 08:49 PM »
Dang. I am about three years too late.

I had to take my mom up there a few times in 09. I did stop at the Fleet Farm. Only the second one I have been to since we don't have one. I think that it is bigger than the one in Mason City. The Rochester one looked huge. Wished I knew about all those places to eat.  Saw the John Hardys on the highway that comes in from the interstate. I honestly thought it was kind of trashy looking. Just goes to show you that you can not judge on looks alone. And it also pays to have some inside knowledge from the locals. I have to say that I was very impressed with the town, the people and Mayo.  All were great experiences for me. Mom might not see it the same way, but I sure enjoyed my time there. Certainly wouldn't mind living there either. Wanted to make it to Wabasha while I was there, but didn't.

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 09, 2012, 09:44 PM »
Dang. I am about three years too late.

Saw the John Hardys on the highway that comes in from the interstate. I honestly thought it was kind of trashy looking. Just goes to show you that you can not judge on looks alone. And it also pays to have some inside knowledge from the locals. I have to say that I was very impressed with the town, the people and Mayo.  All were great experiences for me. Mom might not see it the same way, but I sure enjoyed my time there. Certainly wouldn't mind living there either. Wanted to make it to Wabasha while I was there, but didn't.

Glad you like Rochester.  I love it there.  And wish I could have stayed after college, but the market for my profession ( teeth ) is overly saturated there.  So I moved up to the cities.  In Zimmerman now.  Lots of little lakes to go too.  Damn I cant wait til ice!!!

Yes J.H. looks like a dump, and it is a dump.  But dumps have the best food.  The tables clothes are sticky from other peoples food.  The bathroom is more disgusting then one @ a 24 hour truck stop in Iowa or Wis. ( ha ha ). The waitress names are Mildred and sometimes there teeth fall out when they take your order.  And you can feed a family with left overs for less then $20!!!! 

Thats my kinda place!!!!!!!!!

Offline J_Jaacks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 10, 2012, 09:42 PM »
That was funny.

I know a colleague from a couple of companies ago is up there. Trying to get him the call me up. He is doing what I was doing when we worked together. Didn't seem like there were many manufacturing companies in the area. That unfortunately is my area of knowledge.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.