Author Topic: Lake of the Woods or Devils Lake  (Read 3383 times)

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
Lake of the Woods or Devils Lake
« on: Aug 02, 2012, 06:45 AM »
Im thinking about planning a trip this January to either one of these lakes but im not sure which one to pick.  Would like to be able to get into some nice size walleyes along with decent numbers.  If there is a chance to get into some crappies too if possible.  Not sure if I wanna go the guide route or DIY.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Lake of the Woods or Devils Lake
« Reply #1 on: Aug 02, 2012, 07:35 AM »
If you have never been to Devils lake, go there! The place is amazing. I went there last winter and it was a hoot. We stayed at Woodlands Resort and the guys there are awesome. We caught a few walleyes but we were mainly targeting perch. If you really want to get into the eyes, I would suggest a guide such as the perch patrol. Not cheap, but those guys know where it's at!

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Aug 02, 2012, 07:39 AM »
I did ice fish Devil's Lake a couple times.  I hired Perch Patrol guide service my first time there but the fishing was really tough.  They worked hard and moved frequently, but the bite was terrible that weekend and nobody was catching much.  I went back 2 years later without a guide and did well.  The weather was better and the lake has lots of fish so it wasn't hard finding them.  We stayed at Woodland resort and enjoyed it but they didn't offer much in the way of advice - instead telling me I had to hire a guide if I wanted fishing info.  I ran into a few of the locals who were very friendly and more than helpful with advice.  Woodland did have a nice restaurant & bar.  I found out that North Dakota residents are fanatics about ice hockey and that's about all they had on TV.
I've only open water fished Lake of the Woods but would really like to ice fish it one of these days.
Good luck whichever you pick.
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #3 on: Aug 02, 2012, 01:17 PM »
Lake of the woods, I went there last winter with a buddy and had a blast.

Offline chipman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Aug 02, 2012, 07:21 PM »
Lake of the woods by far.
I have fished the Angle, Oak Island area and the south shore.
Never been skunked.
caught many big walleyes and also a few big notherns

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 02, 2012, 09:39 PM »
if you want walleyes you want lake of the woods...if you want perch you go to devils lake.  devils lake does have some nice walleyes in it, but not as good as LOTW.

Offline ice pig 121

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Aug 04, 2012, 12:05 PM »
I've only open water fished Devils Lake.  As everyone else I stayed at Woodland Resort and did ok as far as fishing goes.  The weather was bad and my 16 ft Alumacraft didnt want to get too far out.  I have ice fished LOW every winter since 2005 and stay at the Sportsmans Lodge sleeper houses and have had a blast every time.  The fishing has been both good and bad but the quality of the fish is always nice.  Two years ago it was 24 below actual temps and it was slow.  This last year the weather was awesome and we pounded the fish, it all depends on conditions.  The main catch is Walleye and Saugers with a few Perch, whitefish, pouts,  and sturgeon thrown in.  Hope this helps, have fun and tight lines!
Tight lines and happy hunting to all! Go Vikings!!

Offline ryan johnson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Aug 04, 2012, 05:09 PM »
don't waste your time with lotw, drive a little further and i'll put you on some of these, free of charge..
 lake winnipeg

Offline meatman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Aug 04, 2012, 05:23 PM »
i did Lake of the Woods (sportsmans lodge) 2 years ago with the wife.  went the first week of January.  stayed in a cabin and fished out of a day house.   went with a meal plan so we got breakfast, lunch (brought to us in the fish house) and dinner. the bar was great, ;live band every night. the fishing was good for us, we did better than most. defiantly bring electronics.  mostly sauger did manage some walleyes and on 26" pig. the one thing i didn't like was once we were in a house that's where we stayed.  I'm a mobile fisherman so that was a little frustrating. they tell me that first ice and late ice are the best fishing and if it gets real cold in January and Feb. the fish get lock jaw. 

Offline eplindstrom

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If this boat is rocking you have a serious problem
« Reply #9 on: Aug 13, 2012, 09:52 PM »
brookings? go jacks?!!  Anywho, I did pretty well on Devils lake the first few days of march this year. we got close to limits of good sized eaters and even a nice 6ish pounder thrown in. I'd like to give LOTW a try but i saw a video where they were only catching tiny ones there but that was fine because there's a slot limit... Just some food for thought. I'd like to go up there and have that lake prove me wrong and catch some whoppers!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #10 on: Aug 14, 2012, 10:25 AM »
I would fish lotw's for walleye out of Budette then  drive south a few miles and hit Red lake for some big crappie

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Aug 15, 2012, 05:06 AM »
thanks for the suggestions guys I appreciate them.  We settled on LOTW until my dumbass friend decided it would be a good idea to go and get married, now I have to cancel my trip so I can go be in his damn wedding.

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Aug 15, 2012, 06:09 AM »
Deepest sympathies to you and especially your friend.  I hope she likes to fish.
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.