Author Topic: need help fish finder or flasher  (Read 1009 times)

Offline wyruffneck

• IceShanty Rookie
need help fish finder or flasher
« on: Dec 29, 2011, 04:59 PM »
i am looking to get a fish finder or a flasher never owned one but i would like to get one before all the fishen derbys start in the next couple of weeks does anyone have any suggestions, and while i am on here what does anyone think of the battery powered auto jigger, any luck?

thanks

Offline skinnytrucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: need help fish finder or flasher
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2011, 05:52 PM »
You can get a brand new Marcun vx-1 from Reeds sporting goods for $249.99. That's the least expensive place to get one right now.
Da Buckless Yooper

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2011, 06:03 PM »
Im picking flasher and ill be right back gotta go get some popcorn   ;D

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2011, 06:06 PM »
Get a Vexilar  any model.....whatever you can afford....batteries last for days....not hours
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline RustyWaterDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2011, 06:13 PM »
I have a vexilar FL-18 and love it. The bottom lock feature is awesome for the perch and walleye that hug tight to the bottom.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2011, 06:18 PM »
well with all that said ,everybodies is the best ,isn't that right  ;D

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2011, 06:22 PM »
I really like my Vexilar fl-12 I used it for week and the battery was still on 50%. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

~~~We Fish For The Fish That Eat The Fish You Fish For~~~
                    -MudbuM Boys

Offline wyruffneck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2011, 06:47 PM »
thanks guys i have been seening vexilar everywhere and i am leaning towards getting one because of the great reviews

Offline icefishingOhionut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2011, 06:51 PM »
thanks guys i have been seening vexilar everywhere and i am leaning towards getting one because of the great reviews

Vex is the way to go if you ask me!   They have great products and great customer service as well.

Offline Homemade

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2011, 07:25 PM »
Vexilar = Reliability
Marcum = Performance
Humminbird = Bells and Whistles

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2011, 07:48 PM »
I have a vexilar FL-18 and love it. The bottom lock feature is awesome for the perch and walleye that hug tight to the bottom.

As long as they are 3" or more off the bottom.... Vex is dated, popular due to being on the market the longest but at the bottom of the pack in proformance but top of the line on price.... Buy a Marcum or HB and get more features for less money and no extras to buy later like Vex...Other than flatscreen and zoom there is no difference between a FL-8 and a FL-20 as far as preformance, Marcum or HB entry level units are as good or better than the FL-18/20.....

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:32 PM »
I just bought a ICE 45 and really like it.  Pass the pop corn please!

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:45 PM »
I just bought a ICE 45 and really like it.  Pass the pop corn please!
Happy to hear you're enjoying your new flasher ;)

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2011, 09:14 PM »
Happy to hear you're enjoying your new flasher ;)
Yeah and thanks for your help Perchslapper.  It is amazingly easy to use and catching lots of fish I would definitely have missed without it.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2011, 12:09 AM »
FLASHER

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2011, 05:58 AM »
What ever you get, to be competetive in these derbies etc, you need something other than the fish fineder.  One thing to consider is how deep the bodies of water are you fish.  If your not over 100 feet, then the FL-8 performs well and certainly under that it's awesome. Even though the FL-8 can be used to depths of 200 I would then bump to something else. More money obviously but match the need to the conditions and you wont go worng.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2011, 06:37 AM »
You will really get the most out of a flasher. Their job is to eliminate unproductive areas of the lake. If you see no fish - move on (obviously), if you see fish and can't make them bite - move on. The faster you get on active fish the faster you fill your frying pan!

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline nute7810

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • OFFICIAL LURKER.....of the Bikini Ice Fishing Team
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2011, 08:36 AM »
i am looking to get a fish finder or a flasher never owned one but i would like to get one before all the fishen derbys start in the next couple of weeks does anyone have any suggestions

16,053 Posts
1,497 Topics

Equipment Board

Pass the popcorn   ;D

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over i will ice fish there to...
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2011, 09:06 AM »
As long as they are 3" or more off the bottom.... Vex is dated, popular due to being on the market the longest but at the bottom of the pack in proformance but top of the line on price.... Buy a Marcum or HB and get more features for less money and no extras to buy later like Vex...Other than flatscreen and zoom there is no difference between a FL-8 and a FL-20 as far as preformance, Marcum or HB entry level units are as good or better than the FL-18/20.....
LMAO!!People are always smashing vex but read up on Marcum and the problems they have and there costumer service. And the fish don't have to be 3" off the ground to read them with a vex  and the extras that vex has nothing to do with performance it is upgrading older units and and giving you extra tools for on the ice ...My buddies have  marcums and i have used them quite a bit and i would take my vex over them  ANY DAY..To me it is people hating on the one the costs the most except now Marcum cost more and have more problems than ever imagine that...
FISH ON

Offline hoosier-iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2011, 09:08 AM »
Get a flasher. They are easy to use and pay hude dividends. By the way as for a Brand I recomend.............. ...................... .............. Nah I won't add fuel to the fire.

Offline SEF830

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2011, 09:41 AM »
LMAO!!People are always smashing vex but read up on Marcum and the problems they have and there costumer service. And the fish don't have to be 3" off the ground to read them with a vex  and the extras that vex has nothing to do with performance it is upgrading older units and and giving you extra tools for on the ice ...My buddies have  marcums and i have used them quite a bit and i would take my vex over them  ANY DAY..To me it is people hating on the one the costs the most except now Marcum cost more and have more problems than ever imagine that...

I can't believe I'm getting involved in a flasher thread... But.....

I agree.  I bought my vex a few years ago because I know several people that have owned and used the same vex for 5, 10, 15 years with no problems.  Call it "old technology" if you want, but I see the same fish as others do, and I plan to have the same flasher for years to come.

Offline trapster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2011, 04:18 PM »
As far as flashers go I think it like "Ford/Chevy."  I have the first mod. of the Vex.  Got it the second year they made um.  Not a bit of a problem.  It's been used hard and rides in the bed of my truck all winter long.  I'm not saying its the best, it's just the best for me.  It does everything that I expect it to do.  From my experiance the Co. is great too.  I lost the little arm that the ducer suspends from.  I called the service department to order one. The nice lady that answered the phone said that she would send two of them right out.  No charge.  Just in case I were to lose another one.  I'm not saying that will happen every time but it impressed me.
Shut up and fish.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2011, 06:02 PM »

When I first got my LX-5 I grabbed my partner and his FL-20. We fished 17' of gin clear water where we could see what was there, several 20" eyes swam through that mine picked up that his did not and the all swam right under him. As far as customer service, Marcum is as good as any of them, and last I checked a Marcum thats in the same calss as the FL-18/20 was $100 or more cheaper, even the LX-5's can be had cheaper than a FL-20 and a far better unit...I made the switch from my long time beloved Vex's and have no regrest and much prefer the fine thin 3 colors of the Marcum over the blended thick blobs of lines on a Vex allowing me to sort through smaller fish to target the bigger ones in a school.... Now with the LX-7, it's even better than my LX-5...  Belive the Vex's are best, we have ran them side by side for several years in gin clear water and while watching on a camera, you'll be surprised what your vex don't show you....

Offline lvwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 30, 2011, 10:50 PM »
.....could I have some popcorn.....please.... .
NRA Life Member

Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.