Author Topic: Buying minnows the evening before?  (Read 1706 times)

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Buying minnows the evening before?
« on: Nov 02, 2011, 05:36 PM »
Does anyone use the Frabill Min O-Life to keep minnows overnight for next day use? Normally I don't use live bait and am wanting to use a few tip-ups this season. Thanks for any input.

Offline field_of_dreams

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Buying minnows the evening before?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2011, 05:38 PM »
I've used some aerators to keep minnows alive and its worst for up to a week, just as long as you are changing the water (not all at once) 2-3 per day.
I'm not sure about the frabill unit however, as long as you aerate and you remove some of the water (contains feces and CO2) they should be hardy for a few days easily.
Good luck! 
Can't wait for first ice!
icefishingshantyplans. webs.com

The best ice fishing shanty plans!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2011, 05:47 PM »
i use a 5 gal. igloo water jug, i  buy enough bait ,perch and eye bait for about a week and use an arreator i change the water about 3 times in a week no trouble it has a bottom spikit so the bad stuff drains off ,if you drain off to much water on buckeyes then add very cold water you will throw them in shock ,they don't care for big temp changes

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2011, 05:49 PM »
Last year I turned an old 48 quart Coleman cooler into a bait tank to keep minnows alive when I didn't use all of them. I bought an aerator at a pet store and plugged it into my garage wall. I drilled a small hole in the top of the cooler and fed the hosing through. Added water and I had myself a bait tank. Changed a bit of the water every couple days, chipped the thin layer of ice that sometimes formed on very cold nights, and it worked great! And cheap! I would scoop out any minnows that were dead and I had fatheads, crappie minnows, and suckers live for over a month. And that is no exaggeration. Shiners didn't last more than a week it seemed but the others would last a long time!

Offline mrcrowley138

• IceShanty Rookie
  • La Crosse, WI
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2011, 05:54 PM »
I've kept minnows in the garage in a five gallon pail with no aerator for a few days.  As long as you go out and bust the ice up periodically, it shouldn't be a problem for the short term.  Granted this is temperature sensitive.

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call me the Pannie Dropper
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2011, 05:54 PM »
I've found that the air temperature plays a really big role as to how long my minnows last. They seem to like to cold much better.
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2011, 06:00 PM »
i use the frabill min-o-life in the spring when it warms up. love it

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2011, 06:04 PM »
I've found that the air temperature plays a really big role as to how long my minnows last. They seem to like to cold much better.

They dont use as much oxygen when the water is cold.

Offline MECDave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2011, 06:07 PM »
I have minnows in a small fish tank in the garage that have been around for 4 months now, with no aerator.

--I put the tank on a small piece of carpet on a table to help with freezing, but my garage is warm
--When I have mInnows left I put them in with the rest  so my 2 year old can count them
--Change the water twice a week with water that I have left out for the day in a 5 gallon bucket. (In the sun is better to get rid of the chlorine, and crap in tap water)
--She feeds them crunched up animal, or ritz crackers  ;D
--She always knows when some have gone with Daddy on a trip to see their family
Dave

You say there are no fish to be had, and I say quit following the lemmings, and change your presentation!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2011, 06:13 PM »
I keep mine 2-3 weeks at a time, just put them in the bottom of the fridge in the minnow bucket....

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call me the Pannie Dropper
« Reply #10 on: Nov 02, 2011, 06:13 PM »
I have minnows in a small fish tank in the garage that have been around for 4 months now, with no aerator.

--I put the tank on a small piece of carpet on a table to help with freezing, but my garage is warm
--When I have mInnows left I put them in with the rest  so my 2 year old can count them
--Change the water twice a week with water that I have left out for the day in a 5 gallon bucket. (In the sun is better to get rid of the chlorine, and crap in tap water)
--She feeds them crunched up animal, or ritz crackers  ;D
[/quote

Nice! Other then the crackers is that the only food they get?
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 02, 2011, 06:20 PM »

-She feeds them crunched up animal, or ritz crackers  ;D

Just seems like yesterday they were that old.  Good thread though and I use an aerator as well in my 5 gallon bucket in the garage. Works most of the time unless it gets real cold and freezes over. Fatheads and crappie minnows.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #12 on: Nov 02, 2011, 06:21 PM »
i always buy my bait the night before...i usually get 6 or 7 dozen, so i spread them out in 3 or 4 six gallon buckets...put an aerator in each...in the morning i change the water...i use water right from the tub and they love it....works for me...i can keep them that way for a week or so
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 02, 2011, 06:29 PM »
I use a 54qt cooler. Add a pinch of rock salt and keep the water just above freezing. I change the water once a week. Bait stayed all winter. I buy by the pound. cheaper. You do not need to feed them if the water is cold. No food no crap ;D
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #14 on: Nov 02, 2011, 07:51 PM »
I have a buddy (Airs24) who uses the frabill. It works great when we are on a three day trip and have to buy bait on the way in. We hook it up each night and run it till we head out in the am. Does the trick

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 02, 2011, 08:00 PM »
I use a 54qt cooler. Add a pinch of rock salt and keep the water just above freezing. I change the water once a week. Bait stayed all winter. I buy by the pound. cheaper. You do not need to feed them if the water is cold. No food no crap ;D
Kind of dating myself here wiredstone, but I used to go to a football camp held in Stroudsburg back in the late 70's. Did quite a bit of road running getting into shape and the area was beautiful. Great memories form you location, thanks!

Offline caddy084

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 02, 2011, 08:10 PM »

Where do you buy your bait by the pound. I have 55 gal aquarium set up in my basement for the ice season and would like to buy my bait in bulk as well.....   

Offline MECDave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 02, 2011, 09:19 PM »
Nice! Other then the crackers is that the only food they get?

I guess it depends on what the little one has in her hands, and no I don't feed them.

The more she feeds them the dirtier the tank gets, and the more you would have to clean it.
Arguing with a little teething child would get you nowhere  :bow:
Dave

You say there are no fish to be had, and I say quit following the lemmings, and change your presentation!

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 03, 2011, 04:20 AM »
I haven't used the product mentioned that started this thread, I just want to track this thread for tips cause I have a high bait mortality rate. I've used many of the methods mentioned to no avail. I think its my water. Bait guy said to throw a little rock salt in the water. I did and had twice the mortality rate. Either I did something wrong or the bait guy likes the repeat business. 

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 03, 2011, 10:47 AM »
I have a pretty solid ritual of buying minnows on Friday afternoon on my way home. The bait shop is pretty much right off the highway, so at about 5pm on Friday night I pick up 4 dozen in two bait buckets. I leave them in my basement, making contact with the door, which is metal and transfers the cold pretty good. No airator or tablets at all. I don't have much dead loss and I always have bait for Sunday morning depending on how many bait I went through on Saturday.

I can't buy bait the day of fishing becasue I like to be on the ice at 5am. Earliest bait is 6am around here.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.