Author Topic: When fishing unfamilar waters, what do you look for on the lake maps ?  (Read 1211 times)

surflizard

Just curious about what other peoples priorities are when scouting waters that they haven't fished before ? other then fish of course, is it structure, contours, depth, water inlets ? how do you approach it ?

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
I have lake map books of most of the lakes here in NY.  It depends on the species I am going for.  I'll look for drop offs or channels for perch,  or if I'm going for pickerel/pike I'll look for potential weed beds, or if I'm going for salmon, I like to look for where streams come into the lake.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
I've never used Maps nor do I use a fish finder much. I look for a point or drop off by the slopes I can see. I always start out about 30 feet and check the depth. Since I fish mostly for trout, I try for 12-20 FOW.
<===Lefty===

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
the best tool I have gotten for unfamiliar water is a $13 navionics app for my smart phone. On the bigger lakes like oneida and lake george it gives you 1 foot depth increments and syncs with the gps on your phone so you know where you are on the lake. On smaller lakes you can still tell where drops and points are.

Offline petrgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Besides looks and depth checks I may google earth on the computer before going and just see the contours, and bars, etc.  That's it. 

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
Depends what time of the year, early ice I fish the gravel shallow bars on the drop off all the way up to shore, points, inside turns. Later in the season I look for shallow bars with steep drop offs and inside turns closest to the deepest water in the lake.

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
I usually look for drops, outlets and inlets, or a fast change in depth, or a fast rising hump.

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
Guy i fish with says "lets poke around" and that means drill a hundred holes. I like to look at contour of land to the water and mark drops-holes for depth. Weed areas and inlets always grab your attention and is hard not to spend time there. Billybob i am on target to have navionics for this season and should cut down on pokin around.

Offline Garnet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep the lines tight and the flags high.
im alot like Jammer, except i dont even look at the maps.  I park my car and just start walking, then when i get tired of walking i set up base and just spread my tip-ups out.  New lakes i dont bother jigging, i just set out my 5 tip-ups and move them according to what ones are tripping up the most.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
          I like weedy spots for perch, lake tout sometimes I 'll fish flats & other times I like to fish channels

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
i usually look for the nearest liquor store!!!

Offline meatman

• Team IceShanty Addict
inside turns in the contours and structure....points with weeds, shallow water with quick access to deep water.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
i usually look for the nearest liquor store!!!

That runs a close second...but I'm looking for the thickest ice ;D
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
What do I look for on unfamiliar waters???

My binoculars ;D

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline DustyRhyno

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Giddy up!
Good question surf. I like to find my own fish instead of following the crowd but I'm still learning. Mostly I look for comparable areas to where the crowds are and check those. Other than that I look for bigger flats near deep areas. I'm hoping to learn better map reading skills this year. Definately one of my weak spots.

surflizard

Thanks DR, The biggest improvement in my ice fishing game has been directly from using maps more and GPS plotting locations on them during the off season ! Some don't pan out at ice in, but the majority have produced well and consistantly for me ! Some are content to walk out, punch a hole and they are good to go, if that works for them, then more power to em ! The season is just too short for me, so I do what I can to increase the odds in my favor and get the most out of the time that I have out there ! Good luck to all out there and stay safe this season !

Surf

Offline kevinmaine3

• Team IceShanty Addict
I like to fish near inlets, points, islands...I have a hard time passing up a inlet with a sandy bottom...it all depends what your going for...your not going to catch lake trout, you can but not likely, in 2 fow.

surflizard

Somebody forgot to tell this laker that ! caught in 26" !

Offline kevinmaine3

• Team IceShanty Addict
yea, thats why I said you can..but not likely..You can catch any fish anywhere.....never know...Im still scratching my head about a fish I lost this spring..fishing for sea run brookies, in a stream near the ocean...50yds away, tidal water. had a nice 12-14in fish on, playing it on my new 3wt fly rod, and something..I think it was an Atlantic salmon..about 3ft long, came out of the shadows and with one swoop, swallow my fish and snapped my line...I still cant believe it...

Offline Garnet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep the lines tight and the flags high.
was catching bullheads in 2ft of water last year.  amazed me that they would be up that shallow, being they're a catfish and all.  i guess your right...fish can be anywhere.

Offline beerbellybob106

• Team IceShanty Addict
i usually look for any unusaul contour lines and steep drop offs also the deepest spots are prime targets for me

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.