Author Topic: Headlamps. Do you use em?  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Hagigun

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "...It's the reckoning."
Headlamps. Do you use em?
« on: Feb 09, 2011, 09:01 AM »
I have been hole hopping more and more fishing outside chasing 'eyes. When it gets dark, i just have too much to carry with my flasher, poles, tackle, bait, lantern, scoop, etc. If i didnt have the lantern I could get it all in 1 trip and stay on the move.

So do you guys use them? Also what kind? I see some for $5 on ebay, and others for $75. Does it really matter all that much or will any of them do the trick? Maybe a certain specification I should look for when buying one?

Thanks,
Why?
....Because I can't can't Golf with Ice on the lake!

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Headlamps. Do you use em?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2011, 09:05 AM »
Yep have a petzl tikka that is about 15 years old, only changed the batteries once in that time and have used the crap out of it fishing and backpacking/camping/hunting in that time. it has gona through hell and keeps working.

As for specs, just make sure that you get one that is LED, they last for ever and are very easy on batteries.
J-

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2011, 09:05 AM »
my eveready last all season on one set of batteries.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2011, 09:07 AM »
I bought an Energizer one from Walmart that uses LED lighting....still on the same set of batteries from early summertime....and very bright

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2011, 09:09 AM »
ive got a cyclops headlamp and love it now i can shut my lantern down to cool off earlier and pack up my stuff using the headlamp.and see my tipups at night or tieing on jigs in a shanty is a breeze now too..

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2011, 09:13 AM »
I use a Princeton Tec Aurora and it's great. Tough as nails, bright and was cheap to boot. Yup led is the way to go.

Oh and I'm pretty sure the only time you can, golf on the lake, is when it has Ice.  ;D

Offline MoreTroutPls

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2011, 09:16 AM »
I use a headlamp for setting up and tearing down in the dark. I've tried lamps with conventional bulbs but found they were not very bright and batteries did not last very long.

A headlamp is way better than trying to hold a flashlight and do any type of hand work.  The light is always aimed where you are looking and you have both hands free for whatever you need to do. 

Find a lamp with LEDs; preferably one that allows you to select how many bulbs are lit.  Often a single bulb is enough light to find your way.  Multiple bulbs are good when you need extra light to attend to fine work like tying knots or untangling lines. 

I like the types that use 3 AAA batteries or two AA batteries for longer life.

Also, make sure the switches are not too easy to turn on accidentally so you don't put the light on your head and find that the batteries are dead. 

I try to have two lights and spare batteries for night work.  The secondary light is to provide light to change the batteries in the primary light.  :)

My current headlamp is a generic light that was less than $15.  I don't know the maker.
Everyone has to believe in something.  I believe I'll go fishing.
Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline blacktrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2011, 09:17 AM »
Petzl led one.  The energizer ones also are a good buy.  Really handy for loading up in the dark and also for setup and pickup.

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2011, 09:22 AM »
I have an aurora led and wallmart special.Small item and often used.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2011, 09:37 AM »
I have a princeton I can't remember what model but its one of the brighter ones and only one LED. I use it walking back to the truck in the dark.

Offline beavercreekoutdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2011, 09:39 AM »
I bought an Energizer one from Walmart that uses LED lighting....still on the same set of batteries from early summertime....and very brightl

I also have the energizer.  4 different light settings.  Can't even remember the last time I had to change the batteries.  Works great and inexpensive.

Offline jaysun23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2011, 09:53 AM »
I use a Garrity Super LED light from Fleet Farm.  I think it was $10-$15.  It has 2 brightness levels for the white LED's and an all red LED setting.  The light also has a pivot feature so you can point it at a downward angle so you don't have to stare at the ground all day.  For $15, I can't imagine you could do any better.  http://www.garritylites.com/page112.html

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2011, 09:53 AM »
 I do not like the ones that have multiple setting it takes to long to keep switching them from on to off. you want one that's easy off and on with gloves on. Found one at bass pro its called a VISTA 14.99 works great.
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline beerbellybob106

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2011, 10:00 AM »
my energizer lamp has treated me well for the past couple years

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2011, 10:11 AM »
Yep have a petzl tikka that is about 15 years old, only changed the batteries once in that time and have used the crap out of it fishing and backpacking/camping/hunting in that time. it has gona through hell and keeps working.

As for specs, just make sure that you get one that is LED, they last for ever and are very easy on batteries.
J-
Ditto on the tikka.  I have had this for as long and it still works great :)
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline Norman Schrader

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2011, 10:21 AM »
I use a Panthervision hunting cap that has dual LED's wired into the brim.  I bought it a few years ago at Gander Mountain for $19.95.  The switch is also inside the brim.  It runs on 2 cr2032 lithium cells.  I just had to replace the batteries for the 1st time 1/2 way through hunting season this year.  I also bought a Coleman Backpacker's LED lantern for about $10 at Walmart.  It runs on 3 AA batteries and is no larger than a small flashlight.  It fits in the pocket of my suit just fine and gives enough light for me to see the tip of my jigging rod at night while inside my fish trap.  I like it also because it has a sliding rear shield so it won't glare back at you, but will direct the light towards the hole.
Good luck.
Norm
Norman J. Schrader

Offline tomb raider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2011, 10:28 AM »
Use them all the time...Nothing better than L.E.D.  Helps me watch out for Swiss Cheese Holes

Offline budjd2cyl

• IceShanty Rookie
  • red dragons
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2011, 10:30 AM »
also have engizer light 5 different settings..use for everything,,,even running wires in the atic
we work indavidulay but drink as a team

Offline Hagigun

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "...It's the reckoning."
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2011, 10:43 AM »
Good info guys.

Seems like anything over $15 or $20 is overkill for what I need. It is strictly for fishing outside the shack. I saw the energizer one, Petzl, and also some other models mentioned. I'll probably see what I can pick up here locally (fleet farm, wal-mart, Gander, etc) that way I can use it this weekend and not wait on shipping.

Thanks for the responses.
Why?
....Because I can't can't Golf with Ice on the lake!

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2011, 10:56 AM »
My ice fishing buddy bought me a hat with the lights in the bill nothing to lose
it,s called panther vision. He bought them a F@F as a joke for 40% off turns out
its a great cap with ear flaps it is thin but plenty warm under a hood.Un loading and loading atv,s in the dark plenty of light.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2011, 11:08 AM »
Princeton Tec
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline firegems

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2011, 11:15 AM »
Use the baseball cap with the lights built right into the bill. click of a button and two green LED's light up- click it again, two white....and once more all four leds light up. Great for tying and the batteries last me all season!
SO MANY FISH.........SO LITTLE TIME!

Offline Huckster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2011, 12:22 PM »
I have a Petzl Tikka.  For the past 5 years its been a great light.  Last year I bought my wife and son each a Petzl Tikkina2.  They were $20 each.  They have a high & low setting.  Very nice light for the money.
I had a few of the cheap Walmart energizers before.  The power switches are cheaply made and break easily in the cold.  For the $5 more, go with the Petzl.  It will long outlast the Energizer so in the long run its much cheaper.   

Offline Beets

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If you don't like the way I fish,stay away from me
« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 2011, 12:58 PM »
I use cyclops or http://www.uwkinetics.com/ Super bright. Clips to your ball cap or hard hat, waterproof and comes in LED too. Pelican makes a good light too.http://pelican.com/
....<°)))))>{
<°)))))>{
        <°)))))>{

Offline Santo180

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2011, 01:03 PM »
I got one of the hats with built in lights for christmas.  Looks like it would work, but it fits my head like a yarmulke.  One size fits most I guess.  I've had petzl style headlamps and love em.

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #25 on: Feb 09, 2011, 11:22 PM »
I bought one for night fishing/camping this summer for like $15 at GM (the brand is Browning). One's that have a head band are nice vs the ones that just clip on hats (in case your not wearing hats). A lot of them come with both options. I use mine a lot at night, it's nice for taking down and packing up too.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #26 on: Feb 09, 2011, 11:45 PM »
I have several types:  Cyclops, Princeton Tec, Browning, Energizer, and some cheap off name brands...
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #27 on: Feb 10, 2011, 12:08 AM »
I have several types:  Cyclops, Princeton Tec, Browning, Energizer, and some cheap off name brands...
My fishing buddy liked the convenience of mine so much he got his own. It's a Princeton Tec and I like his more than mine now!! Ha

Offline draketrutta

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 10, 2011, 03:38 AM »
I have several - for fishing and even one or two for nighttime yote hunting that I turned red via Sharpie pen.(redneck engineering). ;D

I can't recall the name brand, but they fit over your hat securely via a 3 way strap, have a battery pack that hold 3 AAA's - very long battery life. Some folks don't care for the couple ounces of weight - but I am a big guy with a BIG HEAD - so your mileage may vary....

The ones I have are mounted an a bezel, adjust up/down and you can even focus the light intensity to beam or wide cone - useful for walking paths at night.

IMO - skip the marketing hype with the super duper neon light BS and Big Bucks -required to purchase them. No need to spend more than $20 for a light that will last you a very long time.. (Wally World carries the ones I have).

my 2 cents worth....

Offline draketrutta

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 10, 2011, 03:40 AM »
ps - those little ones that clip on your baseball hat bill are great too - and super cheap.. usually come in a two pack....good for close detail work as mentioned earlier..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.