Author Topic: Anyone using the new rod holder tip ups, like the ice warrior by Clam Corp ?  (Read 11927 times)

surflizard

I've been researching these new rod holder tip ups. I really like the idea of using the rod to fight the fish, instead of hand over hand. I saw them in action on Infisherman Ice Fishing Guide and from what I saw there, makes me want to try them ! I see that Clam and HT are making them. The sites are saying they're the next best thing, I am looking for real world reviews from people who are using them. Any freeback on this would be Greatly Appreciated !

surf

Offline jonesy

• IceShanty Rookie
I'll be watching this thread too, I was thinking of getting one to try, but a real world review would be great

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
I stumbled across one at Thorne Bros a few weeks ago.  I didn't even know such a device was made.  I bought a setup this year (by coincidence) for jigging pike, that would work awesome with this.  I bought it for $11 or something, everything in store was on sale for an event.  Here is a video if it in action, from a different thread here on IceShanty posted by Roncarr.  I am pretty excited to use it this year, it is exactly what I had in mind when I bought my setup.  I was just going to use a rod holder but I think this is the ticket.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=139086.0

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I have one and I love it. Way better than hand-lining, and they don't take up much space either.

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
HT has a version also called the "Ice Rigger". I never used it however I like the taller flag when compared to the clam version. The Clams flimsy sheet metal construction didn't impress me when I saw it. :-\ The automatic fisherman looks like a huge expensive pile to me.

http://extacklestore.com/winter/Tip-Ups.htm

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
I have had 4 of the arctic warriors for about 6  years now and they work pretty good. I have managed to loose all but one of the trigger assemblies though. I like being able to just grab the rod and fight the fish.

Offline ShawnR

• Team IceShanty Regular
I like the concept.  I'm just not so sure how good it would work where I live as it gets very cold up here.  Once you catch one and it strips out a bunch of line, all that line would be wet and would just freeze on the reel. 

Offline petrgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hmm doesn't look like that hard of a set up to build....

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
I ordered 3 of them last week. The wife said I can't have them til my birthday. I just want to check them out!!!
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
Ive seen a lot of guys that use them when perch fishing. They would set up a whole line of them with minnow rigs.

I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

surflizard

From what I've seen so far, I like the wood construction, the simple trigger design and the fact that you just life the rod out of the HT Ice Jigger ! My 2 cents !

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
I just got my rod today and set it up with the Arctic Warrior tip up.  I need to play with the placement of the rod to get the perfect balance, I'm sure that won't be a problem. 

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
The nice thing with the Warrior is when the fish hits it the rod rocks forward allowing the fish to run a touch before being stopped by the line. The rod easily lifts out to fight the fish.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
I've been researching these new rod holder tip ups. I really like the idea of using the rod to fight the fish, instead of hand over hand. I saw them in action on Infisherman Ice Fishing Guide and from what I saw there, makes me want to try them ! I see that Clam and HT are making them. The sites are saying they're the next best thing, I am looking for real world reviews from people who are using them. Any freeback on this would be Greatly Appreciated !

surf
SL, are you talking about the Arctic Warrior or the Slammer tip up kit? The Slammer is the wood one and the A W is made of metal. I got 3 of the A W's after seeing so many guys have such good success with them.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

surflizard

The  wooden one I saw on Infisherman ice fishing guide and on the HT site is called the Ice Jigger.

Hey Jason, Nice winch !  ;D Is the A/W trigger velcroed to the rod ?

Offline oyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yes surf, it's velcro'd to the rod.  I absolutely love the Arctic Warriors.  I've been using them for 6 or 7 years now, and the last couple of years I haven't even used any other tip up. I only run the Warriors.  I found that they work best when you use a medium rod, with a quick tip on it. That way the fish gets a little bit of a run, and usually sets the hook on itself.   
Stump, if you want to get rid of your bases that you don't have the trigger for anymore, bring them to the swap meet at DA.

Offline bearbgone

• Team IceShanty Addict
I have one but don't use it real often.

surflizard

Hey Oyler, Good to hear from ya buddy !  :thumbsup: :roflmao: How do you set your drag, kinda light ?

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
i made my own design about 5 years ago they look almost identical to the ice riggers used on the ice-guide show last week.i use mine for fishing deep water lakers with cisco's for bait.my trigger is a little bit different than the ice riggers,i believe for using the size bait i use that my trigger is a little better only because i can set the trigger as sensitive as i want.

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
Hey Surf, like Oyler said it's velcro'd to the rod.  I haven't used this setup yet, so it's going to be a work in progress.  I am also curious on how to set the drag, I'd assume kinda light.  Tight enough to set the trigger, but not enough to run away with it.  It will be a work in progress for sure.  Either way, I'm looking forward to figuring it out and icing some pike.  That's the best part of the sport right!!!

surflizard

Ya Jason, that's part of the allure of what we do, trying something new and seeing it work for the first time ! I watched these rod holder tip ups being used on infisherman and I really liked the idea of fighting with the rod ! I'm curious if the wet line on the reel will freeze up after icing a fish because of the wet line and it being exposed to the wind and the cold temps ? It didn't seem to be an issue on the show, but they were fishing in just sweat shirts so it didn't look to be below zero ? I do remember losing a rod thru the ice, dead sticking Suckermeat for Lake Trout one time !  :woot: :'( I'm gonna pick one up and try it, I'm looking forward to trying this technique

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Zippo Outdoor pro-staff
Check out some of roncarr's posts. he kills em with the warrior.  Landed some 20+ lb pike on them.

I have 2 and enjoy fishing with them.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
Ya Jason, that's part of the allure of what we do, trying something new and seeing it work for the first time ! I watched these rod holder tip ups being used on infisherman and I really liked the idea of fighting with the rod ! I'm curious if the wet line on the reel will freeze up after icing a fish because of the wet line and it being exposed to the wind and the cold temps ? It didn't seem to be an issue on the show, but they were fishing in just sweat shirts so it didn't look to be below zero ? I do remember losing a rod thru the ice, dead sticking Suckermeat for Lake Trout one time !  :woot: :'( I'm gonna pick one up and try it, I'm looking forward to trying this technique
i'v never had a problem with the line freezing on the spool after fighting a fish,but i do check them periodically to make sure the hole isn't freezing and to make sure that my drag is still set properly.i think you'll really enjoy using either the arctic warrior or the ice riggers from ht but it will take some fine tuning until you perfect using them to the type of fish your after

surflizard

Thanks for clearing that up for me MW, I was surfing around this morning, locating a local supply of these rigs and found some within driving distance ! I want to thank everyone for the info on these rod holder tip ups, I appreciate the help !  :thumbsup: :icefish:

P.S. It is raining here this morning so I won't be able to take care of the leaves today, Darn it !  :'(  I'll just have to find something constructive to do ?? HMMMM, I think it will be a good day for a icefishing gear road trip !!  ;D

Offline oyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
He surf, good to see you too ;D when it comes to drag, I have an ongoing argument with a buddy, I like to set my fairly light, so the fish can run a little if need be.  My buddy sets his drag as he would on any other rod. He seems to catch just as many on his as I do on mine, so maybe it doesn't matter.  I kinda like walking up to it when the rod tip is in the hole bouncing, and the drag is screaming. :thumbsup:

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
I own an artic warrior, I dont mind it, but it does not see a lot of ice time. I threw out the velcro and taped the trigger to it. It holds better and you always know where it is.

surflizard

" I kinda like walking up to it when the rod tip is in the hole bouncing, and the drag is screaming."
 Ya buddy ! I tend to set my drags light now after losing that Brand New Thorne Bro's rod to that Laker !!  :woot: :%$#!:  I have a local lake here that the Lakers want sucker meat or dead shiners on bottom, nothin worse that a Lazy Laker ! I think these rigs are gonna be just the ticket for me !  :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
I have a couple Arctic Warriors and haven't used them in a couple of years. I do like to use them, just too much snow for the last few years.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline meatman

• Team IceShanty Addict
I use the Artic Warrior. love it except when its super cold and windy with lots of snow.  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.